The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

um, I've got a poblum with ma WM. It won't sync/connect with PC, and TomTom software on PC keeps telling me to connect the device to USB and turn it on.
I think it only started happening today (since I've not connected it since last week). I connect the USB cable and the green swirly thing on ActivSync spins but does not connect.

I've tried soft reset already and I don't want to do a hard reset as it'll clear all my personal data (ie. call logs etc).

Anyone know what might be the cause of this?
sync gets really buggy, uninstall reinstall, your sinc folders should still be there and you shouldn't loose anything

personally, I never sync, I explore and drag and drop

sync gets really buggy, uninstall reinstall, your sinc folders should still be there and you shouldn't loose anything

personally, I never sync, I explore and drag and drop

I get u. tbh, I don't sync either (except for 1st time to get contacts). Thing is, Win Explorer can't even see the device at the moment.

r u using a cradle or a cord?

try a differant cord or put other hardware on the cord to see if it works

also your firewall might be preventing in out access, try disabling that too

Thanks Perris, removing ActiveSync and installing again helped. :)

Thanks Perris, removing ActiveSync and installing again helped. :)
you know, I use active sync once also, contacts and mobile favorites, then just drag and drop

anyway, you need a reboot when you reinstall active sync

glad it's sorted

NR, although it is not a huge step up there are a lot of improvements for Exchange 2007. Do you think HTC and Cingular (T-Mobile in your case) will release Crossbow for the 8525 (T-Mobile in your case)? I haven't heard any speculation yet as to whether they will or they will not.

NR, although it is not a huge step up there are a lot of improvements for Exchange 2007. Do you think HTC and Cingular (T-Mobile in your case) will release Crossbow for the 8525 (T-Mobile in your case)? I haven't heard any speculation yet as to whether they will or they will not.
No idea, really. The MDA (Wizard) is T-Mo's highest-end official PocketPC device at the moment, and the 8525 (Hermes) is Cingular's. So I'd hope they would continue to support them by releasing updates etc. but it's difficult to know at this point.

My guess is that we'll at least see a ROM update from HTC, Qtek or iMate, just like the MSFP (AKU2) update that was out earlier, but those aren't officially supported by Cingular and T-Mo.

man, this program works REALLY nice, a must install as far as I am concerned
ok, this program is better then I thought

with this threaded text message program running, I don't have to switch from my email programs to get or send text messages, that was a pain in the butt having to switch back and forth

pretty good program, a little buggy, it shuts down when it shouldn't and it won't launch with my particular phone, but all in all, very nice

I just hard-reset my Wizard today and bypassed the T-Mobile extended ROM installation.
Everything's nice and clean (~44MB of storage memory free!), and it's so much more snappy. :)

And what settings did you have to go in and change? That way I can get that information before I do this.

And what settings did you have to go in and change? That way I can get that information before I do this.
I believe after hard reset you soft reset before it updates the phone, something along those lines

however some of the programs you want won't be installed...I had a tutorial for sprint, leaving the good programs and leaving out the spam but I forgot where that is, it's not on this board...if you guys had sprint I would try to find it

I first did a hard-reset, went through the initial setup, and did a soft-reset just before the extended ROM installation step (right before the 3 second countdown starts).

Then, I installed Total Commander to access the extROM and installed only the CABs that I needed. The names of the CABs are a little cryptic, but there's a list on the xda-developers forum that describes what each one does. The Cingular extROM for the 8525 probably contains different CABs, so you can just do a web search with one of the CAB file names to see if there's a similar listing.

Other than that, I just manually configured my data settings, although there's a CAB file in the extROM that automates that too.

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into doing this.

Interesting news on the Windows Mobile front.

Some of us are still trying to keep straight in our brains the difference between Windows Mobile Smartphone, Pocket PC, and Pocket PC Phone Edition devices, but with the impending arrival of Crossbow, that ship has apparently sailed. In the realm of new Windows releases, Vista has obviously been garnering the lion's share of the attention, but Windows Mobile 5 is about to ride off into the mobile platform sunset in favor of Windows Mobile 6 -- codenamed the aforementioned Crossbow -- and the naming convention to differentiate between its various flavors is riding with it. Smartphone (read: phones without touchscreens) is rumored to be replaced by the slightly less colorful "Standard," Pocket PC Phone Edition becomes "Professional," and the plain ol' Pocket PC becomes "Classic," perhaps to reflect the fact that phoneless Pocket PCs have been all but shunned to niche markets in recent years. With all due respect to Microsoft and its hardware partners, they could call it "The Stopgap Version To Hold Us Over Until Photon" for all we care; let's just get some product moving in the pipeline, eh?

Source: Engadget

WM6 is an upgrade to WM5. Not much has changed other than some improvements to "Messaging" (aka Outlook Mobile) and enhancements for Exchange 2007. The UI has new icons and new sounds (Vista like).

WM6 will likely be released for newer devices (such as the 8525) and will ship on new devices (such as the 6800 from Sprint/Verizon). I doubt hardware partners will come out with it for older devices (such as your 6700).

WM5 was a bit “incompatible” with some PDA devices like for instance the HP iPAQ hx4700 and some top of the range Del Axiom’s as it actually ran or appeared to the user to run very slowly due no doubt in part to the way SD or CF memory cards and the on board memory was written to in an attempt not to keep writing to the same areas over and over again, this problem was never overcome and many that used it (WM5) reverted to an their earlier incarnations (WM3). I don’t think MS tested the product properly before releasing it.

I tried to install WM5 on my PDA an HP iPAQ hx4700 but it instantly crashed my PC and even after many hours on the HP support lines nothing was ever resolved. This is just not good enough as at the time the HP PDA was a top of the range device sadly now discontinued because of it.

Lets hope that the re-allocation of data stored in the devices on board memory (in an attempt to optimise or flatten out the writing and deletion of data that resides on the same sector has been overcome) as if it hasn’t it is destined for the bin in my humble opinion.

:)

NR, that's another reason you rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back