The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Microsoft is expected to announce it on 2/14. It should RTM that day. We're probably looking at a late March to June release once hardware partners and carriers add all their crap to it. Those are of course my estimates.

So how does one upgrade their OS when it comes out?

I saw the new HTC running Crossbow, looked very pretty -- got my learning curve set tho, still lots to learn about my current device.

Microsoft is expected to announce it on 2/14. It should RTM that day. We're probably looking at a late March to June release once hardware partners and carriers add all their crap to it. Those are of course my estimates.

Sweet, didn't know it was that close :)

So how does one upgrade their OS when it comes out?

I saw the new HTC running Crossbow, looked very pretty -- got my learning curve set tho, still lots to learn about my current device.

The OS comes form your Vendor, so you would have to get that and install it as a ROM type of update. This is of course assuming your device will have it released for it, which I would hope it does as it is brand new ;)

I think I saw a post from Kunal somewhere saying how Crossbow will have similar update features to what Windows Vista has now, so we may be able to get future updates over the air using our Internet connection :D

If you got it direct from HTC I'd say you'll be covered.

That device looks OK, but my 8525 is better :D

I may be mistaken, but the "Windows Update" feature is included in Photon, not WM6.

EP, you may have gotten the device direct from HTC, but you will want the ROM from whatever carrier you are using the device on. Unless they do not officially support it.

You can also keep an eye on http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Vodafone, my carrier, don't actually sell this phone.
Went into Phones4u the other day and asked for a HTC, you have never seen someone look so confused.

What you will likely have to do (because HTC only puts the new ROMs up with the Ext ROM included from the carrier) is download the new ROM and reset the phone right before it starts installing the carrier specific BS. NR did this and he said it worked much better.

Yeah mine is kinda naked atm with no carrier specific stuff on there :)
Prob why it was so damn hard to actually get working :)

NR --

I am having a problem with Push and Exchange 2007. It appears my device starts to connect but then gives me the following error:

"Your account in Microsoft Exchange Server does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your Exchange Server administrator."

Any ideas?

I've checked and retyped my password. I have Exchange ActiveSync enabled for my user account. I have a headache and I haven't eaten since noontime.

I imported the root certificate but I am unable to import the server certificate. I make the CAB and try to install it and it says, "unsuccessful" but doesn't tell me why.

Also, I am already setup correctly in regards to that link.

I imported the root certificate but I am unable to import the server certificate. I make the CAB and try to install it and it says, "unsuccessful" but doesn't tell me why.

Also, I am already setup correctly in regards to that link.
You don't really need to make a CAB file to import a cert. Just transfer the .cer file to any directory on the phone (say, My Documents) and click on it in File Explorer. Can you try that, and post the exact error message, if you get one?

I tried both ways. It responds "unsuccessful" when I try to import the certificate for "mail.usmsol.net".

NR --

I finally got it. After hosing the server yesterday while changing settings for the Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync virtual directory and Exchange not liking what I changed... I reformatted *again* and set everything back up.

It turns out there was additional configuring that had to be done between A.) Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync AND B.) an external URL had to be set for Exchange ActiveSync.

Needless to say, I don't recommend changing anything from within IIS.

Also, there is no need for the server certificate to be on the device; you only need to have the root certificate present.

Cool. Glad you got it working. :)

I've decided to stick to 2003 until "Cougar" (SBS with Longhorn Server + Exchange 2007) RTMs. Then I'll put a new 64-bit box together and migrate over.

Upgraded to the latest test rom today, now I have direct push, but I guess thats exchange stuff

And go figure, all of a sudden it decided to stop working and gives me the same error message as before.

It last sync'd at 2:42 PM/ET, it is now 3:01 PM/ET.

I went and ate lunch, came back and it doesn't work.

After rebooting the server it works perfectly once again. *shrug*

Last edited:
Just think of all the learning you have done from this, as well as setting up your exchange server ;)

Nice use of the strike tags too :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back