The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

You can delete it as long as all yer old links, such as the e-bay link point to Firefox 1.0

As for Thunderbird 0.7, are all yer preferences working with yer newer version of Thunderbird? And also any saved e-mail and such (backed-up/saved)? If so, then delete away.

java

Netryder or ....,
I'm finding myself pretty busy right now and don't have time to go through the 22 some odd pages. Could you direct me to the correct, or the secure Java to install. Im making the conversion to Firefox from IE 6,op system is winxp pro sp2 any suggestions would be most helpful. I have seen alot of warnings on vulnerabilities of highjacking using Firefox running the incorrect Java. Is there a correct one or is that just the chance we have to take with Java script in all Browsers. Shouldnt a good anti virus program take care of most of these problems? Correct me if im wrong and please give your input on this.
frogg_mann

frogg_mann said:
Netryder or ....,
I'm finding myself pretty busy right now and don't have time to go through the 22 some odd pages. Could you direct me to the correct, or the secure Java to install. Im making the conversion to Firefox from IE 6,op system is winxp pro sp2 any suggestions would be most helpful. I have seen alot of warnings on vulnerabilities of highjacking using Firefox running the incorrect Java. Is there a correct one or is that just the chance we have to take with Java script in all Browsers. Shouldnt a good anti virus program take care of most of these problems? Correct me if im wrong and please give your input on this.
frogg_mann
After you install Firefox, click the yellow "Get it Now" button at the top right hand corner of this page to get the latest version of the Java VM:
http://java.com/en/index.jsp

i'm using WMP10 .do i need a plug in to get firefox to reqognize it?
thanks

frogg_mann said:
I have seen alot of warnings on vulnerabilities of highjacking using Firefox running the incorrect Java. Is there a correct one or is that just the chance we have to take with Java script in all Browsers.
Java and javascript are not the same thing. IMHO the best Java VM (Virtual Machine) is the one from Sun (creator of Java). As for javascript it can be a security risk I suppose but alot of sites also use it so it's like a catch 22.

If you wanna limit (to a point) what javascript can do in Firefox go tools -> options -> web features -> then click "advanced" next to "enable javascript". :)

bluzeboy said:
i'm using WMP10 .do i need a plug in to get firefox to reqognize it?
thanks
Enter "about:plugins" in the location box. Is WMP listed under the list of installed plugins?

yes along with quick time .but no versioin is mentioned only wmp library
the reason i ask is i visited a site (nbc) & it said wmp9 was not detected would i like to install as you know those 2 programs cannot coexist.
thanks

bluzeboy said:
yes along with quick time .but no versioin is mentioned only wmp library
the reason i ask is i visited a site (nbc) & it said wmp9 was not detected would i like to install as you know those 2 programs cannot coexist.
thanks
What two programs can't coexist? Also sounds like for some reason or another nbc has there site coded to look for your WMP version and for some reason they want 9 even though newest version is 10. I would think it would be set for 9 or newer but that would make sense. :p

wmp9 & wmp10 can't coexist i won't let you install a lower version ,i'm running wmp10.is there a way i can edit the plugins preferances?

netryder -you have stated you run wmp10 ,see what that site tells you ,when you have time. (www.nbc.com)

I think the problem is that the site needs ActiveX, Firefox doesn't use ActiveX and this is a good thing.

Yeah, this is what I get, bluzeboy:
The current version of your browser does not support ActiveX
Windows Media Player 9 not detected.
Since Firefox doesn't support ActiveX controls, it's not going to work. There are ways to get ActiveX controls working in Firefox, but it's not recommended at all for security reasons.
I'd suggest just using IE when you need to view some of those videos, and Firefox for everything else.

For the Thunderbird users: 1.0RC1 is out
http://www.mozillazine.org

1.0RC1 includes lots of bug fixes and improvements for features like saved search folders, the RSS reader, mail migration, and message grouping. The default themes have both been updated with new improved artwork as well.

thanks nets ,i tryed in both firefox& mozilla no go ,but ie go!
so i got the answer.
thanks all

Ok i went to the suggested site for Java VM(Get it Now) in turn i downloaded this from there install button: jre1.4.2_06-b03.msi. Is this Java or Java script? I'm still hesitant to install it. Net your instructions were not conclusive enough. Is this what was suppose to be installed? Xie states that Java and Java script are not the same ?, jre1.4.2_06-b03 is this java script, or is it Java? Or is it the file name for Java or the plugin? msi being the windows installer. Could you clarify this for me.The script apparently is for resizing and control of the windows functionality.Are they one of the same? Straighten me out on these two and there differences, please. Thanks guys.

Forget about JavaScript, its nothing to do with Java or Sun, you can't download JavaScript.
The program you have there is the Java files needed to run java on a windows machine, it should install all the necessary files.
Although the latest version is 1.5.0

Ok forgeting about Java script, Java2 runtime envinonment update in progress.I'll do the homework on the functions. frogg_mann
Thanks Khayman

The only downside to Firefox is that some sites refuse to use it as they say you need IE 5.5 or greater. Puh :D

Anyone know of a masking program to get round that?

Ok after a lot of research,,

I found what is the latest version of Java for the winxp platform: jre-1_5_0-windows-i586-iftw.exe You were correct Khayman. At least this was where my homework lead me. :cool:
fyi net,
On Windows, Firefox can be used with Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE). It can not be used with the Microsoft Java VM, as that can only be used with Internet Explorer.
Versions of Sun's JRE older than 1.3.0_01 will not work.

It is possible to install JRE 1.4.2_01 from within Firefox, using XPInstall technology.
This is straight from the Sun Java website.
Duplex do you mean that some sites will only except IE5.5 and greater and not Foxfire at all ? dat sux frogg_mann

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back