The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

SPeedY_B said:
Has anyone had issues with Fx on dual-displays? I hooked up a second display and tried to use Fx on the secondary, however it continously kept crashing. I will say though that the whole o/s was a bit wibbly at the time, so I wouldn't say the two weren't un-related.

I un-hooked the second monitor before rebooting and everything seems stable since..
No problems here, had dual display since long before i started using FF, none since.

Also it seems highly unlikly that dual display causes specific programs to crash

mozbackup?

I made changes to my configuration by doing Open Firefox..type about:config
I use mozbackup will changes I make be saved if I save my profile using mozbackup?

Since the settings are saved in prefs.js and user.js in your profile folder, MozBackup should be able to save and restore them as well.

Ok a bit of a Mozilla 1.8a5 update. I stole the following info from mozillazine.org.Ok 1st off not much is listed yet in the changelog but mozillazine says the following ...
This latest alpha version of the Mozilla Application Suite features around 600 bug fixes.
Which I would say is a good number of bug fixes. :D IMO this build is a bit more snappy then 1.8a3 was (1.8a4 gave me to many issues to use). It also seems stable so far so 1.8a6 shouldn't need to much to become 1.8beta/1.8Final. Oh and for you Firefox lovers you may find the following interesting.
As previously reported, the Mozilla Foundation intends to continue issuing new alphas of Mozilla 1.8 until the 1.0 versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird have shipped or they run out of natural numbers. This means that a 1.8 Alpha 6 is on the way. The final release of Mozilla 1.8 is scheduled for February 2005, with a 1.8-based Firefox 1.1 set for March.
I think after new 1.8 based Firefox comes out I may give it another spin because 1.0 just doesn't have what suite does (in terms of browser only - as thats all I use).

Hi Guys,

I have not been able to open my Download Manager or my Extension Manager from my pulldown Tools tab since the 1.0 install. The little popup that tells me that "All files have been downloaded...." still shows up. What can I do to fix this? uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Hey Mainframeguy, did that link problem of yours ever get fully cleared up?

I started getting this today.

"The operation has timed out when attempting to contact forum.osnn.net".
Is this something that firefox is causing? It never appeared while using IE6. Where do i adjust this in firefox?
Thanks in advance, frogg 8)
PS I'm giving this browser a fair chance.

Hi Guys,

Which file in the Application Data/Mozilla folder contains all my stored passwords for the different sites?
I had to reinstall Firefox 1.0 and I would just like to c'n'p that file from my backup folder.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hi Guys,

Which file in the Application Data/Mozilla folder contains all my stored passwords for the different sites?
I had to reinstall Firefox 1.0 and I would just like to c'n'p that file from my backup folder.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter
Stored passwords are saved in signons.txt and key3.db - encrypted, of course.
smile.gif

Thanks a million, Nets.

Saves me trying to figure out all my forgotten passworded sites.

Heeter

Heeter said:
Thanks a million, Nets.

Saves me trying to figure out all my forgotten passworded sites.

Heeter
No probs.
smile.gif

Alternatively, you could also access it from within Firefox itself - Tools>Options > Privacy tab > 'Saved Passwords' button > 'View Saved Passwords'

Thanks Nets,

Got another one. A small but annoying one. Since the reinstall, I cannot open a Bookmark in a new tab. I can from the search google bar, from the address bar, but not from the Bookmark list. This is with Tab Preferences installed. I cannot seem to find what to check/uncheck to allow a new tab to open from the bookmark list. Would you know?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Heeter said:
Thanks Nets,

Got another one. A small but annoying one. Since the reinstall, I cannot open a Bookmark in a new tab. I can from the search google bar, from the address bar, but not from the Bookmark list. This is with Tab Preferences installed. I cannot seem to find what to check/uncheck to allow a new tab to open from the bookmark list. Would you know?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter
The only thing I can suggest is to middle click (or Ctrl+click) the item in the bookmarks list when you want to open it in a new tab.

I remember there was an option in Tabbrowser Preferences that set bookmark items to automatically open in new tabs, but since I don't use TBP anymore, I'm not quite sure exactly which one it was.

Looking under 'about:config', there also seems to be an item called 'browser.tabs.opentabfor.bookmarks' which should, when enabled, logically do what you're asking for. It seems to have no effect on my system though. It's perhaps a hidden preference that hasn't been implemented yet, but will be in upcoming versions?

Thank You anyways, Nets.

I tried the edit in the about:config to no avail as well. Oh well, funny thing is, that it was opening in a new tab before I reinstalled it. The more that I am thinking about it, I think there was another version of tab browsing that I used, instead of Tab Preferences. I actually think that I was using an extension of Firefox 0.8 or 0.9. I will check up on that. Maybe it is not available anymore for 1.0. I should find the name of that extension.

Heeter

I just finished looking in the backed up folder that I created before I did the reinstall, and I have in the extension folder an extension called "TabExtension", different from "TabPref" that I have now. I can't see it anywhere in the Firefox extension lineup....

Heeter

Heeter said:
I just finished looking in the backed up folder that I created before I did the reinstall, and I have in the extension folder an extension called "TabExtension", different from "TabPref" that I have now. I can't see it anywhere in the Firefox extension lineup....

Heeter
Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE), perhaps?

Thanks, Bud

That fixed the left click new tab off Bookmarks problem that I was having.

Heeter

I clicked an old eBay icon on my desktop and it brought up an old version of Firebird 0.7. I thought I had unistalled it but found the directory under the Mozilla.org directory in my Programs directory.

My question is, is there any reason not to delete this directory (along with the Thunderbird 0.7 directory)? Is there anything I need to salvage from there before I delete it. I have all my favorites in the new Firefox 1.0.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back