The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Dublex said:
The only downside to Firefox is that some sites refuse to use it as they say you need IE 5.5 or greater. Puh :D

Anyone know of a masking program to get round that?
Look for the User Agent Switcher extension.
It allows you to temporarily change the user-agent string that the browser sends, so that the site would think you were using IE (or Opera, Netscape, whatever), for example.
Of course, if the site uses ActiveX, you're out of luck.

I just found a good way of opening URLs in new tabs, like for use in external applications. I tried it on the Linux x86 version of FireFox 1.0, but I am sure this works for other Unix builds as well.
Use this link to open up an URL in a new tab of an existing browser window:
Code:
/path/to/firefox/firefox -remote "openurl(<insert_url_here>,new-tab)"
For example, in aMSN, I used this line for opening URLs:
Code:
/usr/local/firefox/firefox -remote "openURL($url,new-tab)"

More -remote shortcuts here: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html The page says it only works for Unix builds, but you have to try it to be sure.

Nice tip, Glaanie
smile.gif

Does anyone know why I can't middleclick to close the tabs in FireFox for Linux 1.0? Everytime I do that, it loads a page I visited, but that page isn't necessarily loaded :confused:

can't, the middle click is reserved for a clipboard framebuffer on linux, you highlight text and paste with middle click. So, when you middle click, it tries to load a page with the text you highlighted.

Glaanieboy said:
I just found a good way of opening URLs in new tabs, like for use in external applications. I tried it on the Linux x86 version of FireFox 1.0, but I am sure this works for other Unix builds as well.
Use this link to open up an URL in a new tab of an existing browser window:
Code:
/path/to/firefox/firefox -remote "openurl(<insert_url_here>,new-tab)"
For example, in aMSN, I used this line for opening URLs:
Code:
/usr/local/firefox/firefox -remote "openURL($url,new-tab)"

More -remote shortcuts here: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html The page says it only works for Unix builds, but you have to try it to be sure.

You used to have to do this, I had a script here once to show you how, <edit>here the link: http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38512 </edit> but now you can set FF to open links from applications in a new tab by default, then you can just set your IM app to open Firefox and it will open the link in a new tab.

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 100
Ah, I see. Didn't notice that option. Thanks :)

And the middleclick, that's really weird. I thought ctrl+[cx] and ctrl+v where the copy/cut-paste thingies :confused: Is there any way around that? I am kinda used to middleclick-close a tab and it's getting annoying :mad:

ctrl c and ctrl v are still copy and paste, but linux also has that highlight copy and paste. They are different. I don't know if there is a way around it, I have found it.

thanks Reg - is the upgrade painless? Does it transfer all your settings, contacts, mail folders etc? And do you have to uninstall/install, or can you just install over the top?

No sweat if no one else answers these then I will post myself as and when I get around to upgrading from 0.9....

From what I have seen on the three installs I have done, all have been painless. I simply installed over the existing one. Took about a few seconds to go through. So far, so good.

Just installed 1.0 from 0.8 and it went very easily. It's nice that to install the last few upgrades, you didn't have to uninstall the earlier version.

One question, did anyone else have the problem that the "Get More Extensions" and "Get More Themes" buttons in Tools don't go anywhere. Also, the circle in the upper right to go to the Thunderbird web page also doesn't work (my Firefox button works).

In addition to the previous post, none of the links in any email I have received is functioning. My telephone bill came via email and when I click on the link to see what I owe, nothing happens. Same with my cellular phone bill. The same with any link. I can't even get "Help" to bring me to Mozilla.

I turned off Zone Alarm and AVG antivirus, and still no go. I've looked through account settings and options and can't find anything that needs to be changed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

tom9042 I'm not sure what all changed but you did skip a version. It might not be a bad idea to backup your settings and such and uninstall and reinstall a fresh 1.0 copy since you are having several minor issues.

Export favourites - how?

Jewelzz said:
I didn't but I also exported them to my desktop before uninstalling, just to be on the safe side

ARGGhhhh how DID you do that? When I try to with Firefox I go to the File pulldown and it ONLY has import? Anyone? :confused:

Mainframeguy said:
ARGGhhhh how DID you do that? When I try to with Firefox I go to the File pulldown and it ONLY has import? Anyone? :confused:
Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks | File>Export
smile.gif

NetRyder said:
Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks | File>Export
smile.gif

could have sworn I went there and tried to do that?!

Anyways - looks like it MAY be academic - I was doing it to transfer bookmarks by floppy to a Linux box and for some darned reason the Linux box can read floppies fine but hangs when trying to import them - I will try again this way though, maybe the Firefox export format is not HTML and works better somehow? :confused:

[EDIT] All OK now - posting from Linux with my faves nicely in sync - wondering why firefox seems to look more grey here though? Must be skinned more KDEish or something? [/EDIT]

NetRyder said:
^^ Childish
wink.gif

Thank You :eek:

Has anyone had any problems with web site pages loading in Firefox using the Tweak Network Settings 1.0 extension? Either not loading completely or loading very slowly.

I'm not sure if it's my connection or ISP (SBC DSL), but at home I am using the extension and it sometimes is a bit funky/odd. At work same IPS but not using extension and it seems to be better.

I have set it to the default sttings but it doesn't seem any different.

Gonna install on work machine and see if it goes poopy here also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back