The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

You could:

1.) Try setting Firefox as your defalut and IE not while logged in as an Admin
2.) MS Knowledge Base - Here is a resolution to a similar sounding bug, it could be what is causing your bug
3.) Couldn't hurt to give these registry keys a look at: Firefox associations fix and the below IE associations check location.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Check_Associations"="no"

*note, the Firefox fix is for 0.9.x but I looked at my keys for 1.0.x I'm running and they are the same

Try this... I had this saved on my HDD with a bunch of other text shiit that I thought some day would be handy. :)

Code:

navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\command

and edit (or create) the string value, which should be the path to firefox.

This should work, after you edit the path accordingly.

c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe -url "%1"
or
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE -url "%1"

Note the -url "%1".

Now c:\program files\ is default. You should edit accordingly to point to where you have installed Firefox.

You may also have to edit https and ftp if they have the same problem.

Attachments

• firefox reg entry.jpg
    firefox reg entry.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 87
Mozilla Thunderbird

I have just started using Mozilla Thunderbird, is there anyway that when i minimise it that i can get it to go to the systray instead of the taskbar

No probs.
smile.gif

I'm merging this with the pinned thread for future reference.

American Zombie said:
Found what you are looking for and the info below is from this page. You have to make the user.js file and it goes in your profile folder.

Change the reply header

The standard reply header [author] wrote: can be changed to virtually anything, so make your e-mails more personalized. Add and modify the following code to your user.js file, instructions are in the comments:

// Change the reply header
// 0 - No Reply-Text
// 1 - "[Author] wrote:"
// 2 - "On [date] [author] wrote:"
// 3 - User-defined reply header. Use the prefs below in conjuction with this:user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_type", 3);

// If you set 3 for the pref above then you may set the following prefs.
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_authorwrote", "%s said the following");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_ondate", "on %s");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_separator", " ");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_colon", ":");
// The end result will be [authorwrote][separator][ondate][colon]

Has anyone used the FoxyTunes extension for Firefox? It puts a media player controller in the lower right bar. Puts these nice small buttons in the lower bar and you can control Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, JetAudio, MediaMonkey or whatever ya got.

I like it. :)

chaos945 said:
3.) Couldn't hurt to give these registry keys a look at: Firefox associations fix *note, the Firefox fix is for 0.9.x but I looked at my keys for 1.0.x I'm running and they are the same

Well it is a bit arly to tell, but looks like maybe that registry file fixed it....

I think folks were getting confused - when I said Explorer that is what I meant - MS Explorer, NOT IE - and I am still unsure if there is something going on that means this may come back to haunt me. The fact is a occasionally make use of the MS explorer to access my hotmail or MS groups, keeps them segregated. However it is highly restrictive and not much use for any more general browsing so I definitely never want it opening on links. Repage for you too now Chaos, and hopefully this is the last of the matter....

gonaads said:
Has anyone used the FoxyTunes extension for Firefox? It puts a media player controller in the lower right bar. Puts these nice small buttons in the lower bar and you can control Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, JetAudio, MediaMonkey or whatever ya got.

I like it. :)
I made a post about it a few pages back! I like it. Been using it since I came across it :D

gballard said:
Is anyone having problems loading this extension?

http://downloadstatusbar.mozdev.org/installation.html

I click on the link to install the extension but nothing happens. Is there a way to install extensions manually? I downloaded the xpi file...not sure what to do with it.

:confused:

You could right click and save it to yer HDD and then install it manually. I tested and was able to download them by doing the "right click and save".

Note:
If you are trying to download it for Firefox 1.0, I don't think it is compatable. It's not listed on the Firefox extesions page.

chaos945 said:
3.) Couldn't hurt to give these registry keys a look at: Firefox associations fix and the below IE associations check location.

Pardon me seeming to repeat myself - but I think this is worth saying ....

I had my problem repeat itself (not sure why at all) and found that I needed to reapply that registry edit file to fix the issue.... I suspect M$ explorer of getting it's teeth into my registry - I confess I use it for a couple of hotmail and group functions.... and now we see the harm it does....

/me hates intrusive and disruptive software like that - must work harder to get SuSe on my spare drive! :p

Has anyone had issues with Fx on dual-displays? I hooked up a second display and tried to use Fx on the secondary, however it continously kept crashing. I will say though that the whole o/s was a bit wibbly at the time, so I wouldn't say the two weren't un-related.

I un-hooked the second monitor before rebooting and everything seems stable since..

If anyone here is a Mozilla Suite user 1.8a5 snuck out sometime today (I have checked every day for like the past week including this morning). :D I'm going to install when I'm done with the forum.

Xie said:
If anyone here is a Mozilla Suite user 1.8a5 snuck out sometime today (I have checked every day for like the past week including this morning). :D I'm going to install when I'm done with the forum.
Wow, any big changes in this build that caused you to look forward to it so much?

NetRyder said:
Wow, any big changes in this build that caused you to look forward to it so much?
Nothing I can pull of the top of my head .. just 1 more release closer and a full page of bug fixes to 1.8 :D If it wasn't for silly Firefox might be 1.8 now. :mad:

*edit* - no real changelog has been posted yet just a "rough changelog" that is the page full of bug fixes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back