The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

funky dredd said:
That's neat! Nice find.
grin.gif

According to posts that appeared on the MozillaZine FeedHouse, and a comment made by Ben Goodger on IRC, the nightly build that's out today is the final 1.0 build. :)
I'm personally going to wait until Tuesday, but just thought I'd mention this here anyway.

Oooh, *yoink* that nightly's mine ;P

Mac users will have to wait though if the original plan is to be stuck to, the mac version of 1.0 will be after the Win32 and Linux builds so that it can be refined. Any idea if that's still the case?

Yes, I believe so. From Kevin Gerich's blog:
Firefox 1.0 Release Candidate 1 is out. There isn't anything flashy to talk about in this version except hundreds of bug fixes. Version 1.0 for Windows and Linux is scheduled for release on November 9. The Mac version will get special attention and come out sometime later. Here's the list of bugs scheduled for Firefox 1.0mac.

Between 1.0RC1 and 1.0 I'm going to finish up tweaking the Windows and Linux theme. Here are a few of my priorities. Feel free to suggest other theme tweaks that should make it into 1.0.
No specific date given, but it does say sometime later.

American Zombie said:
Go to Tools, account setting then click on Composition & Addressing.
There is a drop down box in the Composition part to change where replies appear from the original.
Neato! And how about the datestamp in the mail? I now have '<name> wrote:', but I want to have something like 'on <date>, <name> wrote'.

Glaanieboy said:
Neato! And how about the datestamp in the mail? I now have '<name> wrote:', but I want to have something like 'on <date>, <name> wrote'.
There is a Timestamp extension for Thunderbird but I have not used it so I do not know if it is what you are looking to do.

Seems like there was a change of plans for the Mac version:
Kevin Gerich said:
A little over a week ago, Ben informed me of the decision to push back the Mac-specific Firefox work to a 1.1 release that would come out in March 2005.

Firefox 1.0 was going to be released on Windows and Linux first. After the Windows version was out the door, we (meaning Ben and the few Mac hackers who work on Firefox) would focus on the Mac user experience to bring it closer to the level of polish and integration that OS X users expect.

But the Mac-specific work will take a while - with the holidays it could easily take until early 2005. Ben and crew want to merge the work that's been going on in the Firefox branch with the Mozilla trunk as soon as possible to get on with the post-1.0 development.

Chris Hofmann wrote:

Ben, Asa and I met to review a plan for synchronizing the Mac 1.0 with the Windows and Linux releases on 11/9. We looked at feedback and satisfaction data from version tracker and other sources, recent Mac specific bugs fixed and decided to move forward with a plan to ship Mac Firefox 1.0 on 11/9. The hard and anecdotal data shows the satisfaction rating of Mac Firefox to be very close to Safari, and we see many users choosing Firefox over Safari which is a clear sign that we should be calling it 1.0.

This is disappointing but I agree with the reasoning behind the decision. Hopefully we will be able to use the extra time to make Firefox 1.1 the best browser on the Mac platform. Of course you can help! Look over the bugs targetted at Firefox 1.0mac and file requests if you think something is missing.

Looks like FF 1.0 is due out tomorrow. Hopefully it is so we can get Mozilla 1.8a5 out the door as I'm sure it's only reason for not being released is the FF release which is suppose to be the only reason for so many Alpha releases. They don't want Mozilla Suite and FF releases so close together. :( I will test out the new FF though as I havn't used it since testing 0.8 and wasn't impressed enough to leave Mozilla Suite.

The current nightly is already the final build. I believe the timestamp will be changed tomorrow, and that will be enough to move it to the release folder.
Here comes 1.0, finally...the progress has been tremendous since the Phoenix days.
smile.gif

Not an issue for me only issue I have found is from one website while wanting to download something , the download was going to temp folder and did not care that I had set a default location.

was only that website though very strange indeed

Yeah, I had the same thing. For at least a few seconds, the main window freezes. I have noticed this beheaviour on very small downloads, I think it's due to FF drawing the download window (the new download blending in the window) and, because it's a very small download, at the same time showing up the 'All downloads finished' popup in the bottom right side of the screen. It may not like that, methinks.

check ftp's for the final release...they just hit...also Neowin's homepage has the link as well!

Version 1 is perrrrrrrdy :D

And it work niiiiiice, plus TabBrowser Extentions and the AdBlocker work just like the did before.

And With Noia 2.0 Extreme Theme it look cool.

ME LIKE! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back