The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Okay, as an extreme Opera fan I have to say I like RC1 very much. I ahvent installed any extensions yet but with te advent of some decent tabbed-browsing controls in the browser itself I'm not sure I'll need any, but I'll investigate.

I also noticed a very marked improvement in speed, both over previous firefox versions and Opera too - loading tabs of gamespy.com as fast as I could open them!!

If I keep finding more nice things that compare to Opera I may just make the switch.

Screenie of the tabbed browsing options: http://raptor.digital-euphoria.net/~lordofla/firefox_rc1_tab.jpg

Ben Goodger said:
RC2 Builds Soon

Either late tonight or early tomorrow we will be posting Firefox 1.0 RC2 builds. More details when they're up.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/006832.html

smile.gif

Mozilla gets inline spellchecking:

Neil Deakin said:
The inline spellchecking feature adds the red underlines under mispelled words. It works in plaintext and HTML Mail composition, Composer and in multi-line HTML textareas. It will also work in anything in Mozilla that has an associated nsIEditor, which is actually anywhere where text can be edited, although it isn't initialized by default in single line textboxes, XUL <editor> tags and HTML pages with a designmode set.

Since this feature is a much requested feature (it currently has 82 votes in the Mozilla bug), we have ported the patch to Mozilla 1.8, and posted it in bug 58612. Try it out if you like.

Some answers to questions that will be asked:

* Will it be available in Firefox 1.0? No.
* Will it be available as an extension? No.
More: http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/article/284

Wow, they're quick today.
grin.gif

Firefox 1.0 RC 2 Released
Wednesday November 3rd, 2004

The Mozilla Foundation today has released the second release candidate for Firefox 1.0 which can be found on their FTP server. The Firefox developers please ask that you look at the following areas: site authentication (especially over SSL), extension installation via update.mozilla.org and other sites, MacOS X builds, and software update - "we're making another attempt at this. We think we've got the bugs from RC1, so please test by following these instructions." Please report any problems you find in Bugzilla. Along with English builds, a number of localizations are also available for testing. More information on what looks to be the final RC before 1.0 can be found on Ben's weblog.
More: http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5477

RC2 seems a lot faster than any previous build...don't know if it's me or the browser but I likes

Tuffgong4 said:
RC2 seems a lot faster than any previous build...don't know if it's me or the browser but I likes
It's possible. I did notice that RC1 was more responsive.

well now - I am going with firefox for my new rig - picked it up a day or two back so not even sure what I am using (about doesn;t say RC1 or 2, just version 1 preview release - Firefox 0.10.1 or something).....

Anyway I am well happy with the basics of firefox - but one thing I miss from Mozilla is integrated email for my POP3 account. Do I need to use popfile or is it thunderbird or something? Not sure how integrated that is? If anyone would care to give me benefit of their experience in this area I should be most gratefule - esp. if there's a way for me to transfer my pre-existing Mozilla mail folders over for the firefox equivalent...

Or maybe I just have to run Mozilla for my POP3 mail and use Firefox for my browser? But that seems kinda bloated and would probably just lead me back to Mozilla....

@Mainframeguy: Firefox was never meant to be a combined suite like Mozilla. It's supposed to be a lightweight, extensible browser, and that's all.
Most people who use Firefox and want a complementary email client tend to use Thunderbird. 0.9 was just released a day or so before RC2, I believe. It's a very nice client that follows the same principles as Firefox (i.e. keeping it separate and lightweight, with added features through extensions).

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

a question...

Is there a way to make Firefox open a group of bookmarks on startup? I have looked on the firefox board and I didn't find anything. When I start up firefox...I would love to have Yahoo, OSNN, and BroadbandReports open up in tabs automatically...

I was going to say make them bookmark toolbar folder items and then click "open in tabs" but that would have had one exra complication i guess (Just happens to be the way i like to work because I already like to keep them in my bookmarks toolbar)

Anyway - took your hint also Netryder, maybe best of both worlds.... thanks

i do love having multiple tabs open when i open firefox, saves so much time :D

Thunderbird 0.9 question:
I am used to have to type replies on emails on top of the message-to-be-quoted, like Outlook does. But in Thunderbird 0.9, the reply has to be typed at the bottom. How can I make that more of an Outlook'ish format? Also I would like to have the date in the message as well, like 'On <date>, <name> wrote:', again, how?

Glaanieboy said:
Thunderbird 0.9 question:
I am used to have to type replies on emails on top of the message-to-be-quoted, like Outlook does. But in Thunderbird 0.9, the reply has to be typed at the bottom. How can I make that more of an Outlook'ish format?
Go to Tools, account setting then click on Composition & Addressing.
There is a drop down box in the Composition part to change where replies appear from the original.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back