Will This Work...

My first suggestion, would be to look at the specific PSUs wrt their respective specs outside of the total wattage taken. There can be variations here... It is afterall the power being out-putted which you're going to be more interested in. Ramp up time, might also be a consideration, (aka how long from the time it's switched on, before one can get full juice outa the thing) as I've heard some give mention to it. Haven't always seen a spec on this however...

As to that list, there are some companies I haven't heard of before, so would be leary of... Who the hell is Athena Power or I-Star anyway? :puzzled:

Not seeing the output (manufacturers site probably has it), but either should be good... If you can fit your needs in the 850-watt PSU there, having the over-voltage protection and the like might be good. Otherwise, you might need to go with the 1 Kw...

Getting the listed outputs, and adding up your devices requirements would indicate for sure if you can fit it in the 850-watt supply, out of your selected 2; though I don't envision a problem off the top of my head...

Edit: Here's what you need to know. Of the 850 watt PSU:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T85SSI&view=techspecs

+5V @ 30A
+12V1 @ 16A
+12V2 @ 16A
+12V3 @ 30A
+12V1,V2,V3 = 54A (60A peak)
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3A
continuous = 850W
peak = 950W

Off the 1 Kw PSU:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=TC1KW&view=techspecs

+5V @ 30A
+12V1 @ 16A
+12V2 @ 16A
+12V3@ 36A
+12V1,V2,V3 = 66A (70A pk.)
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3.5A
continuous = 1000W
peak = 1100W

Some were suggesting (per Gonaad's thread, that one should have at least 22 amps, was it? on the 12 volt rail.) Assuming this, 30 a vs 36 amps, on 12v3, either should be fine... They're also beefy on output...

Last edited:
Alright, sounds great. I'm pretty sure both are more then needable. I'm going to go with the 850W, since it's cheaper and since I probably will only ever need 650W at the most, but I'm being safe.

B, as Saz will point out shortly, you should care about the manufacturer. Go with a reputable company.

I don't see any good ones (or ones I would know) that have over 700W

I can really put salt behind PC Power And Cooling, great company :D

I'd love to have an Antec PSU, that has over 700W, but they don't! If noone else has ideas, guess I'm going with PC Power and Cooling since kcnychief said so lol

KCNYCHIEF also says you should build 2 of these dream rigs and give one to me :smoker: :p

Not so much of a dream anymore, should have enough cash within 2 or 3 months

*edit...extra cash*

madmatt said:
B, as Saz will point out shortly, you should care about the manufacturer. Go with a reputable company.

Saz has already spoken in favor of PC Power and Cooling

http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=698492&postcount=22

I doubt he'd say much about the choice here...

Personally, I tend to like to add a little more, as over the course of time a once reputable company can become rather different, though this need not occur. S3 is a good example, as before the advent of the 3D gfx adapters, they were considered quite good, and the S3 Trio 64 received praises as I remember. Ever since the Virge they've been seen more as a joke in the industry.

But no, I'm not expecting something of the sorts here, and you would no doubt be quite happy with either of those supplies...

Bman™ said:
Not so much of a dream anymore, should have enough cash within 2 or 3 months

*edit...extra cash*
Fecking silly how much this is going to cost you, fecking silly :eek:

If you love computers, technology, games and need to use them everyday, it's not that much money.

Hey man more power to you, I was just saying it will be expensive.

I can't wait to see it up and running, as well as many pictures :cool:

I can't friggin wait, and there are going to be enough pictures!

get the pc power and cooling 850 watt. it will have pleanty of power for your system . the 1kw would be overkill.

I have since redid my selections, and customized my computer more. Here is what it looks like so far. (is used ? for bullets, if your wondering lol)

Motherboard

? Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia Socket 939 ATX)
? PCI Express/SLI/Dual Gigabit LAN/USB 2.0/Serial ATA/Dual Raid
? Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2,Sempron
? Up to 4GB RAM / DDR 266/333/400MHz
? Supports Serial ATA / Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133

Processor

? AMD Athlon 64 X2 / 2.40Ghz / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB
? Socket 939 / Hyper Transport / Dual-Core (with fan)

Memory

? Crucial Dual Channel DDR 2048MB (2GB) / PC3200
? 400MHz

Harddrive

? Western Digital Caviar SE 16 / 400GB
? 7200 RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA-150

Videocard

? BFG Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX (x2)

Soundcard

? Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Sound system

? Creative Inspire 7800 7.1

Backup Drive

? Western Digital 250GB / 7200 RPM / 8MB
? USB 2.0 / External Hard drive

CD/DVD Writer

? Plextor PX-760A / DVD-R DL Write Speed – 10x
? DVD+R Write Speed – 18x
? DVD+RW Rewrite Speed – 8x
? DVD-R DLWrite Speed – 6x
? DVD-R Write Speed – 18x
? CD Write Speed – 48x
? CD Rewrite Speed – 24x

CD Rom

? Lite On SOHD 16x DVD / 48x CD

Case

? Cooler Master CM Stacker / ATX Full Tower
? 12 5.25” Drive Bays / Front USB

Keyboard & Mouse

? Logitech diNova Media Desktop / Laser Bluetooth
? Mouse and Media Pad / Wireless Setup

Monitor

? Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24” LCD (x2) (maybe 30" i dunno)

Powersupply

? PC Power and Cooling 850W/ SATA Ready / SLI Ready

Anymore suggestions?

Crucial for the memory?

Come on man. :cool:

For the sound system, I would recommend getting a GOOD 5.1 setup rather than a 7.1.

kcnychief said:
I can really put salt behind PC Power And Cooling, great company :D

I 100% TOTALLY disagree with this statement! :eek:

they are without a doubt the BEST POWER SUPPLIES in the WORLD...

:laugh:

Sazar said:
Crucial for the memory?

Come on man. :cool:

Gotta agree with Sazar here....

Corsair XMS.. is there any better? Reliable... dependable... and wicked fast!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back