Will This Work...

I didn't even see that the one was dual core, oops, but yea thanks.

never knew what unbuffered meant, never seen it before. I'm assuming most of the time they don't say it.

So.....after awhile of my not questioning and talking in my thread.....

new products are out and that's why I have waited and not bought anything yet. Whats new, oh yea AM2 chips?? Whats with those, anything special, should I get one of those....whats the suppositd best right now?

Also, dual core videocard or something? 2 cards in one...am I hearing this right?

Dude, buy something already. It's been MONTHS ;p

You'll be waiting forever to get the "newest product".

hey hey hey......don't be mean, I'm just trying to kinda smart. I don't feel like buying something, and something better, even maybe something you should need comes along.....

So....can someone explain these new cards and such?

Thank you lol

If you are trying to be "kinda smart" you shouldn't buy brand spanking new technology. Leave the manufacturers time to work out kinks, leave time for yourself to verify viable benchmarks, etc.

That being said, the next few months will be exciting because Intel and AMD are BOTH releasing new chip architectures. While I haven't seen any precise, or viable tests yet, it is rumored that the Intel chips simply p0wn AMD by a landslide.

The Intel chip, a 65nm Conroe CPU running at 2.6Ghz is supposed to be faster than an Athlon 64 FX-60 OC'ed to 2.8Ghz. But as I said, rumors.

Also, down the road, if ever, AMD is talking about something called "Anti Hyper-Threading". Instead of making one processor act like two, as in Intel HT Technology, AMD would make fore or more processor corse be seen as one by the OS. The technique would give the most benefit to single-threaded applications, which currently get no benefit from dual core.

There is a lot coming down the pipe, and as has been said you'll be waiting forever if you want newest stuff. You also have to look at the cost difference between brand spanking new and then just behind, versus performance gain and shelf life.

If you are trying to be "kinda smart" you shouldn't buy brand spanking new technology. Leave the manufacturers time to work out kinks, leave time for yourself to verify viable benchmarks, etc.

That being said, the next few months will be exciting because Intel and AMD are BOTH releasing new chip architectures. While I haven't seen any precise, or viable tests yet, it is rumored that the Intel chips simply p0wn AMD by a landslide.

Conroe and Merom are pretty good. K8L may be just as good for AMD, we don't know yet but the core logic is looking pretty good.

Also, intel has some low TDP, high performance procs in the pipeline.

The Intel chip, a 65nm Conroe CPU running at 2.6Ghz is supposed to be faster than an Athlon 64 FX-60 OC'ed to 2.8Ghz. But as I said, rumors.

Fact.

Also, down the road, if ever, AMD is talking about something called "Anti Hyper-Threading". Instead of making one processor act like two, as in Intel HT Technology, AMD would make fore or more processor corse be seen as one by the OS. The technique would give the most benefit to single-threaded applications, which currently get no benefit from dual core.

This is not something that AMD is just working on. It has never been interested in hyper-threading because of the core-logic it employs. Defeats the benefits of short pipes and efficient architecture.

Btw, Intel has moved away from hyper-threading with their Core 2 procs. There is no logical reason to use it with the new architecture.

There is a lot coming down the pipe, and as has been said you'll be waiting forever if you want newest stuff. You also have to look at the cost difference between brand spanking new and then just behind, versus performance gain and shelf life.

Bman is never gonna buy stuff :smoker:

This thread will be 10000 pages long before he buys a hard-drive :cool:

j/k :D

lmao, well at least I would give you something 2 do.....no no, even If I don't run out of questions I should by somewhat of a system within the next 2 months, I'm just picky and all that.

Also to be noted that the only REAL benefit to the AM2 socket, is the support for DDR2, and eventually DDR3 memory architectures. Current AMD processors can only utilize DDR.

Back to Intel for a moment, they claim their next generation CPU will provide a 40% increase in processing power and a 40% reduction in energy useage versus current Pentium C chips.

Long story short, if you need a new PC right this minute, an AMD-based AMD2-socket system is a solid choice. If you can hold off a bit, it may pay to wait for the first benchmarks of Core 2 Duo PCs.

if you over clock change your cpu to a opteron 165 and buy one from monarch right now. the have a really good stepping right now(cbbe1 i think) and with those you should be able to hit 2.8 -3 ghz on stack cooling. plus you will save alot of money on the cpu.

edit: check this out people are reporting 2.8 on stock volts. if your counting theats a fx-62 for $300 dollors but the voltage is the same!!!!!!!!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1043679

Last edited:
Well this thread was started along time ago, many questions & answers.

But it seemed like I disappeared and nothing went down.

After I don't know how many months and stuff, here is what I ended up with.

CPU = AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41GHz

RAM = 1GB Dual Channel

HD's = 2 80gb harddrives in STRIPE Raid 0 configuation
200Gb Backup SATA

Videocard = 2x Nvidia Geforce 7900 GT/GTO in SLI mode

Monitor = 20" Samsung SyncMaster 215TW

MB = Asus M2N32-SliDeluxe

Soundcard = Soundblaster Audigy 2

The whole thing is water cooled with a thermaltake system.

Basically I said, this is a pretty good system, good deals, great for when wanted that brand new upgrade, since my old computer couldn't be upgraded very easily.

I take pictures of the setup and custom box when I got time.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm was never big on benchmarks, whats the program do do this these days, and where can i get it?

I don't understand this.....i was up to 2.7, then down to 2.66, which seemed fine for awhile, but now it keeps crashing and restarting my system once in awhile, so i brought it down to an 8% increase of 2.59ghz

is there a test of stabiliy i can use, besides 3dmarks, thats not exactly stability test....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back