SLI and CrossFire, Pushing Power Supplies To The Limit

jimi_81 said:

You are CORRECT!

it is NOT required, they say that so that people who dont know better, plug one of these into their system, and it doesnt work, they can ask them if they have a 400W PSU.

All you need to do is get the wattage rating for each individual piece of gear (components) and then add them up.

So long as you dont plan on trying to max out your PSU you should be fine.

CHEERS!

mlakrid said:
You are CORRECT!

it is NOT required, they say that so that people who dont know better, plug one of these into their system, and it doesnt work, they can ask them if they have a 400W PSU.

All you need to do is get the wattage rating for each individual piece of gear (components) and then add them up.

So long as you dont plan on trying to max out your PSU you should be fine.

CHEERS!

I'll serve you up reps on a silver platter if you can give me a cheat sheet of some kind, to estimate...
i have:
2 western digital 7200 rpmers
1 LG DVD 4x dvdr (puke)
1 52x LG CDR
1 Wireless Speedbooster Linksys card
thats... IT

fanless cpu heatsink (sonic tower)

Get ready to serve me up some reps but I need models numbers and I will provide you the power sonsumption...

:D

EDIT: I also need your memory and how much, name brand etc... , mobo make and model, sound card make and model, and how many fans and what size/type...

EVERYTHING must be accounted for to ensure total system stability...

mlakrid said:
Get ready to serve me up some reps but I need models numbers and I will provide you the power sonsumption...

:D

EDIT: I also need your memory and how much, name brand etc... , mobo make and model, sound card make and model, and how many fans and what size/type...

EVERYTHING must be accounted for to ensure total system stability...

hehe

Ok,
RAM: 1 gig in total (3 sticks) - (512mb - Dual Channel DDR 400), (512 Ultra DDR 400)
MOBO: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Chip: Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz
FAN: 1 in total, 120mm VFD (on medium speed) - Antec
Sound Card: Onboard.
Hard drives: 120 gb Western Digital ATA133 7200 rpm, 80 gb western digital ata133 7200rpm
Wireless: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card With SpeedBooster

do you need more detail?

If you want a good close idea as to power numbers toward a PSU try this

This chart is a few months old (actually about a year old) but is still a good baseline.

Hardware Power Numbers.jpg

Now if you want to calculate the needed size of the PSU, here be a Power Supply Wattage Calculator.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

[edit]
Now some of the newest video and memory items are not listed. But you can add 10 or 20 watts to your total to be safe. My wattage needs for my system is 400 watts. Now I am using an Antec True Power 430 Watt PSU. So I feel that I am good, for a while anyway.

Also this very true rule of thumb:

Don't pinch pennies: PC components need consistent power that's free of distortion and noise. Power supplies priced at less than $40 are likely to be more prone to voltage fluctuations than models costing $60 or $70. Paying more for a unit from a well-known maker can save you both time and money in the long run.

Another good read, although it is quite old.

http://firingsquad.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Guides&fs_article_id=1162

Last edited:
reps awarded! thanks guys
Looks like im around 330 Watts with a gforce 6800 ultra..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back