Matt's Upgrade Thread

You can buy a fan-speed controller for any fan.

It just plugs in between the hsf connector and the power connector on the motherboard.

The zalman fans still have an external attachment to allow you to regulate the rpm's. Mine sits at about 40% but my case is well ventilated and the room-temp is kept relatively mild. My cpu doesn't exceed 44-45C on load.

If you have the thermal paste on properly (not a lot please) and if you have everything else seated correctly, it should not be idling at 60c IIRC.

The newer procs are supposed to run a little cooler.

I used Artic Silver thermal paste. I probably screwed something up.

How thick was it?

It has to be barely a smidgen. If you put more, it will impede heat transfer.

Either that, or it is just that hot lol.

I should probably reapply the paste just to make sure. I made sure I didn't use a lot but if you say "barely a smidgen" then I likely used too much.

Thermal paste hinder's heat transfer but its much better than just air (which is a terrible conductor).

A smidgen == a drop or two sized so when you push the hsf down, it should spread evenly and fill the air pockets and enhance heat-transfer.

It should be pretty translucent and there shouldn't be a lot leaking off the sides. If there is, you have too much. A tiny bit should spread evenly and make for good transfer :D

Thank you for the information and the advice. All I have left to figure out is the LPC driver issue and which HSF I should get to quiet things down more.

I have two 92mm on the front sucking air in. I have a 120mm fan acting as an exhaust which has three settings which I currently have it on medium; I could probably get away with setting this on low.

The PSU, CPU, and GPU all have deticated fans.

EDIT: I ordered the ZALMAN 9500. I stopped to read the reviews today and someone with the same MB as me said it works great, fairly easy to install as long as you pay close attention to the directions.

Last edited:
Yes, make sure you get the clips setup correctly and ensure you have the right quantity of thermal paste :D

And then, post pictures.

Good news all around...

Logitech shipped out the new Bluetooth USB receiver today.

I did some digging and figured out the driver issue was related to "Intel Quick Resume Technology". By disabling it in the BIOS it corrected the driver issue.

Here are the temps of my system, 10 minutes apart.

CPU: 64C - 67C - 68C
Internal: 40C - 44C - 44C
Remote: 34C - 36C - 37C

What do you think?

Are those idle temps?

They seem quite high for idle temps. I would double-check and make sure things are kosher.

To give you a comparison, my case temp idles around 28C and my mobo temp idles around 30C. They peak about 3-4 C higher MAX and my proc has never been hotter than 45C in the time I have monitored it.

Thats a 20C difference.

Look around the web and make sure it is within the threshold for your proc. It is probably what is driving up the temps for your computer case and mobo.

WOW!!

I put a Arctic Freezer on a 3.0P4 here as it was running 62 at 100% load from F@H. And our server is OC'd 3.4 to 3.8 and it runs 64C with two clients running on it with stock cooling.

AC5 takes up to 200 hours to set in and reach its full potential as it is a phase change compund, it squishes out the extra as it heats up to create the thinnest layer possible.

I always rub a bit onto the heatsink, then wipe it around untill it is just a light smudge on the surface. The same for the CPU. Then I apply the smallest amount that will leave the tip of the applicator on the center of the CPU. Then set the heatsink down, straight on, no twisting, and press firmly untill you have the retainer clips on.

Then I obviously have problems.

Well we know that, but it's your computer we are worried about :smoker:

Oh yeah, I could care less about my own well being. The money I spent assembling this box is more important.

I'm using the stock HSF, and here are my temp readouts:

CPU CORE 37 degrees
Chip Set Area 50 degrees
PWM Area 51 degrees

Not too shabby, considering it's stock :cool:

Alright. I decided to take the hour or so to install the new ZALMAN HSF. It wasn't much fun to say the least. Firstly, I had to unhook everything to take the motherboard out. The case is a tight squeeze so it wasn't that easy (the next case I buy will have a removable motherboard tray).

Once I get the case out I install the base and top clip. The holes didn't match up so it took some convincing on my part.

Get that on and put the motherboard back in. Get all the wiring hooked up again and move onto the thermal paste.

I applied just a little and spread it evenly on the processor. I put the HSF in place and I tighten down the retention clip (which took some convincing too). I install the "Fan MATE" and we are good to go.

New processor temps according to the BIOS: 60C after idling for a while (far better than the 68C). It was as low as 54C. According to what I've read this is very good for a Pentium. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I plan on taking pictures tomorrow now that every thing is complete. I will setup Windows and migrate from there.

Not bad Matt :cool:

You're a professional system taker-aparter.

Btw, pay no mind to derek's temp's. The system was on fire at the time (yah I know, lame joke, but come on dood, you were rubbing it in everyone's face for a week :smoker: )

Oh, I used the wrong retention clip. It fits just fine but there was one in the package with one one hole on each side (I used the one with two holes on each side). No way am I redoing that though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back