Zalman HD160XT in Silver or Black

• Black

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Silver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry I've been away.

I'll take a picture of my setup on Sunday/Monday, I'm going camping this weekend starting in an hour.

My setup is decent and gets the job done. It was built on parts that I traded for. The only thing that I bought was the TV Tuner card. I have to drill some new holes for the PSU to be mounted properly but it's not a big deal since the system sits all the time and doesn't move.

I bought a Blue Orb II for the heatsink, so it's large and looks horrible. But cools great, and I had it.

Sorry I've been away.

I'll take a picture of my setup on Sunday/Monday, I'm going camping this weekend starting in an hour.

My setup is decent and gets the job done. It was built on parts that I traded for. The only thing that I bought was the TV Tuner card. I have to drill some new holes for the PSU to be mounted properly but it's not a big deal since the system sits all the time and doesn't move.

I bought a Blue Orb II for the heatsink, so it's large and looks horrible. But cools great, and I had it.

Where is it then ;P

Ok started my build :S Should get the final parts tomorrow.......

its all on if the DVD drive and tv card arrive........

Until later here is the first piccy, see the stupid amount of wires? lots to tidy there!

Attachments

• CIMG1031 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1031 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 223
Right a couple more hours spent on the build tonight, go the ram, heat sink and psu today all now fitted :)
Unfortunately the tv card and the DVD writer still have not turned up so very grumpy because of this, still the good news is it posted earlier which is a massive relief.....

Got a free evening tomorrow night so hopefully if the remaining parts come I can finish the build.......

HTPC build - Finished!

Finally finished my htpc build last weekend, now just need to figure out how to get Vista media centre running how I would like.....

Anyway! Some more pictures are shown below, let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 229
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 221
Re: HTPC build - Finished!

Finally finished my htpc build last weekend, now just need to figure out how to get Vista media centre running how I would like.....

Beautiful work Indy.

Re: HTPC build - Finished!

Oooh, vista media center questions :D

What are you looking to be able to do?

I love the speed of the bugger and how it actually records stuff as and when I want to MUCH better than under XP. XP Media Center is such crap compared to the Vista version :D

And the remote works much better :cool:

My remote does not work better, but then its the rubbish Zalman one... Got a nice phillips vista media center remote on the way :)
As far as what I need to sort out its a little unstable now but I think its sorting its self out, currently the problems are it does not want to "wake up" if its put to sleep, I am getting dodgy flesh tones watching tv or dvds, and finally having problems getting the touch screen to work how I would like.......

Save that recorded a few shows and the playback was excellent, my 20 odd year old tv is definatly the weakspot though!

Still have been busy, I'm reviving this thread. Sorry:

I have sold off some extra parts to make way for some slight upgrades. But overall, great upgrades. My media center is no longer a Pentium 4 HT 3.4ghz LGA775 with 2GB of ram.

It's getting my main computer's parts.

New Media Center Setup:

AMD Opteron 175 (Dual Core)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
2GB Ram
2x 160GB HD
16x DVDRW
7300GS video card
Fortissimo III 7.1

I'm just waiting on the new Power Supply to arrive. Thermaltake 430w PSU.
I didn't need anything overly powerful for this update.

It will be running Windows Vista Ultimate

Very nice!
An update from my end though, the Zalman case is going back, its build quality is lovely but nothing works as it should on it, including the touch screen, the volume dial, the remote, and don't get me started on the hopeless software!
Over all I strongly do not recommend people buying this case, however the new version the Zalman HD160XT Plus has got every problematic part of the case replaced by equipment from imon, whos support is much better and the sofware and hardware is in a different league.
I now need to decide if I go for another touchscreen based case (maybe even the new Zalman one) or just go with a VFD based one.
Anyone go any good recommendation's on a good htpc case?

On a positive note though quietpc.com where I got the case from have been excellent.

I don't see the point in touch screen aside from the "E-penis" factor. Since how often do you sit that close to your media center. I know mine is about 10-12 feet away and that's why I have a remote. :p

The idea of the touch screen was playing music etc when the TV is not on, only that did not work....

Considering this case now.....

yleiskuva.jpg

Looks pretty nice. Very basic and does the job.

I saw last night my opteron is running at 28c and at about 10pm at night it was running at 24c. I may just have to overclock it a little since it's that cool downstairs.

^ Nice! What case are you using and when do we get to seem some pictures?
Mine is being dismantled tomorrow and stuffed into an old beige case for now until I decide what to buy next

Right scratch the 135, as it still has the crappy old electronics in it. I think I have managed to talk myself out of another touchscreen case :D and decided on the new zalman HD160 Plus, which all the electronics are made by soundgraph (imon) so plenty of updates :)

Do you think it looks ok? going to go black again :)

hd160plus_06.jpg

love the case you're considering and like what you're building. wish i had the money to spend on dedicated tvpc parts like that. eventually i will.

for my purposes, i just bought a small case, a microatx board with nvidia 6150 graphics, and used a leftover processor, memory, and harddrive...

IMG_0006.JPG

just plays media which is all i need it to do. actually plays 720p movies without a problem. would like to eventually build an all-new one with a solid-state system drive, seperate NAS drive, ATSC tuner, and Vista Media Center to have PVR functionality. maybe a mini-ITX system. :)

Yeah. It is a nice looking case. My is an off brand case with some decent quality. Nothing special inside really. I'll take some pictures SOMETIME. I'm still working on the other machines in the place. I'm doing a general upgrade to all of them.

My main machine is getting an Antec P182 Gun Metal case, another 1GB ram to make 3GB for Windows, and a Tuniq Tower.

Looking at that screenie: I hereby decree you 'King of the console' :laugh:

@Indy: Loving the zalman HD160 Plus esp in Black :smoker:

I agree that is a nice collection of consoles there! especially the retro collection :)

Thanks on the positive feedback of the new case, its on order awaiting stock as a replacement to my 160XT.

ShepsCrook - I am pretty much doing the same as you in a process of a all over upgrade, save two new computers got in to mess up the process, the htpc and the server. I think I will just wait on the new nvidia gfx cards then upgrade my main machine as the amd 3200+ is getting a bit tired now...

Yeah, these are the systems I have around:

Main:
Intel C2D E6300
3GB Ram
Intel Bad Axe 2
Tuniq Tower
Antec P182 Gun Metal
X-Fi
2x 74GB Raptors, 2x 250GB Seagates, 1x 750GB IDE

HTPC:
AMD Opteron 175
Asus A8N SLi Premium
2GB Ram
2x 160GB HD

Girls computer:
P4 HT 3.4Ghz
2GB Ram
1x 100GB (Old)

Boys computer:
AMD X2 4200+
ASROCK board
1GB Ram

At least that's the setup after friday.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back