Derek's Upgrade Thread

Work is good. I posted pictures over in my thread. Thanks Jimi.

OK I at least have everything together. Rather weird problem though...

If using the KVM, (one USB cable to the system, controlling keyboard/mouse), the system lags like a mofo. Also taxes all other systems through that KVM, mouse and keyboard are almost useless. If I hook right up to the PC, it works fine. I had this problem on the PC I had previously built as well - I'm thinking the system isn't getting enough power for the peripherals. I may look into getting one of those USB cables that turns one lead into two plugs, which will allow it to draw more power.

Anyone else have a thought?

OK - in addition to the KVM and seemingly power issue, which I'm still hoping for feedback on, I have had a few more issues.

I only took a few components from the fried rig to this one. One of them was a 400GB Hard Drive, bought new as everything else when it was built. It seems to be on it's last leg - although worked perfect in the old rig. When connected internally through SATA, the BIOS sees it but Windows won't even in Disk Management.

The only way I have been able to pull it up, is through an enclosure. Even then it's in "Offline" mode by default, I have to initialize it each time I want to boot. This will be replaced ASAP. That's not really an issue, something I just wanted to mention.

One of the bundled IDE cables that came with my mobo didn't work. It wouldn't see two devices on one channel, which means I couldn't access my one of my drives. Swapped the cable and everything is peachy.

kcnychief said:
OK I at least have everything together. Rather weird problem though...

If using the KVM, (one USB cable to the system, controlling keyboard/mouse), the system lags like a mofo. Also taxes all other systems through that KVM, mouse and keyboard are almost useless. If I hook right up to the PC, it works fine. I had this problem on the PC I had previously built as well - I'm thinking the system isn't getting enough power for the peripherals. I may look into getting one of those USB cables that turns one lead into two plugs, which will allow it to draw more power.

Anyone else have a thought?

Think maybe the computer took the KVM with it?

If you think it's a power issue maybe try a power USB hub.

Admiral Michael said:
Think maybe the computer took the KVM with it?

If you think it's a power issue maybe try a power USB hub.
No, I don't.

The problem first happened when I FIRST hooked up the PC before this. KVM was acting funny, yet if I take that PC (or this one) out of the loop, and tax it with all 4 connections, they all work fine.

Rather odd actually. The KVM itself has it's own power supply, so I'm not quite sure what my options are.

Even now, tested and stress tested after the fact, KVM is flawless. Rather annoying :(

Original Post updated to reflect 320GB Internal and External Hard drives that I bought today. Also purchased new DVD Burners as my Plextors seem to be fading as well :(

Didn't you just buy those Plextor's? You are having a lot of trouble.

I did, and I am :(

This really sucks, but at least with the new rig everything is working out so far. I may call the manufacturer tomorrow about my KVM and see what they suggest. Although it's something with the configuration of my machine obviously, so they may tell me to sit on it and twist :p

kcnychief said:
I did, and I am :(

This really sucks, but at least with the new rig everything is working out so far. I may call the manufacturer tomorrow about my KVM and see what they suggest. Although it's something with the configuration of my machine obviously, so they may tell me to sit on it and twist :p
haha funny guy

As I feared, the KVM company said it's not their problem. It's something with my hardware setup. Silly me let it slip that it works fine on 4 other computers, just not my main one. Me and my big mouth - I was just trying to supply all info necessary to hopefully resolve it.

Call to ASUS next, although I may try their forums first.

Oops, did they collect anyinfo that would identify you? If not call back later and omit that this time.

Admiral Michael said:
Oops, did they collect anyinfo that would identify you? If not call back later and omit that this time.

I agree what he said...

:D

Admiral Michael said:
Not really an issue, and they are right anyways. The KVM does work fine, just some type of issue that it doesn't like with my two most recent computers.

Would be a waste of time to try and contact them again.

Best thing that would happen is that you would get a new KVM switch. Problem still won't be solved though.

No - which sucks.

I would assume it's something power related, but the KVM has it's own power source and it doesn't happen on other machines. The weirdest part is this has happened on two different machines that are pretty new, with different hardware. At this point, practically nothing has carried over from the "fried" box.

The PC that started this thread, Dell Dimension 9150 did not have that issue. :(

Yes, have tried all 4 cables.

And as I said, the KVM works perfectly maxed out with 4 workstations involved if this rig isn't in the equation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back