7900GT/GTX, when?

Aprox..... yeah.... it's a neat little setup.... but i don't see any purpose to it. it may be more "immersive", but it won't help with anything. you know how much you'd have to move your head all the time to see if someone's off to the side of what would be one screen? that's almost half a circle there.

True, but I still think its one of those cool geek moments when you fire up a game that is multiple feet wide and tall :D

well...... guess NVidia just proved that 48 pixel processors aren't really necessary. Guru3D has a pretty thorough review of the 7600GT, 7900GT, and 7900GTX 512MB..... and the 7900GTX beat out the X1900XTX 512MB in just about everything, even 3DMark03 and 05 (by quite a lot in 3DMark too).

In the last few years I think Nvida has focused on increasing effeciency in their products, so we are seeing more performance per watt and better results with less. So, when the G80 comes out and they will most likely have 48 or more pipelines the performace will be awesome :)

ElementalDragon said:
well...... guess NVidia just proved that 48 pixel processors aren't really necessary. Guru3D has a pretty thorough review of the 7600GT, 7900GT, and 7900GTX 512MB..... and the 7900GTX beat out the X1900XTX 512MB in just about everything, even 3DMark03 and 05 (by quite a lot in 3DMark too).

Incorrect.

Ati has proven to have the more streamlined package when it comes to shader performance.

The chip on the 7900 is smaller but this is due to die-shrink as well as non-inclusion of several features the 1900 series procs have.

If you look at the overall performance, there is very little/if any difference between the cards. The GTX does not beat out the 1900 series with like to like optimizations active. In fact it is slower.

This is borne out cumulatively when you compare all the benches across the web.

The extra pixel-shading power of the 1900 series stands out in really shader intensive situations (portions of the 3dm'06 test) and games like F.E.A.R. which is extremely shader dependent. Note how the 1900 series absolutely loves FEAR? As more games introduces effects like that and add more particle effects, the r580 core will continue to perform very well.

The 7900gtx is not a bad card but its essentially a 7800gtx 512 with a more refined core.

Aprox said:
In the last few years I think Nvida has focused on increasing effeciency in their products, so we are seeing more performance per watt and better results with less. So, when the G80 comes out and they will most likely have 48 or more pipelines the performace will be awesome :)

If ati continues to develop the r600 along the lines of what the Xenos proc is doing, you could very well see a MONSTER gpu with multi-functional pipes (for vertex and pixel shaders)

I can't wait for the first cards with unified shaders :D

I am excited about unified shaders too, but I worry about legacy support. The whole discussion about DX10 and DX9 & lower compatibility on the hardware level and software level could be a big problem.

On a side note, I thinks its cool we are another big technology leap. We have GPU's are the verge of a jump and CPU technology is getting ready to jump into hyperspace again :) Good times for those preparing to upgrade in the next year.

Sazar: go look on Guru3D..... the 7900GTX had a higher FPS in just about every game they tested at just about every resolution they tested it at. and it also got higher scores in 3dMark03 and 06.... 05 is the only one that the 1900XTX got a higher score in. and you really think that getting a "shader intense situation" boost in FPS is really worth spending the extra what.... $300 for the 1900XTX over the 7900GTX? i sure as hell don't. FEAR seems to be the only game that the 1900XTX won hands down in over the 7900GTX.

I am not basing my comments off of guru's benches. I am basing it off of all of them combined.

Go look and compare the various benches and you will see what I am talking about.

The benches with the 6.3 cat's are showing good results.

Wow...
I just read the thread, should have read it from the4 start...
I was completely in the dust about a new card coming out...
Maybe... I should get it?
I have the 6800gt, and only play css and dods
-Jack

weeeelllllllll..... getting a 7900GT i believe WOULD be a rather beefy step up for ya, Vanquished. i too went from a 6800GT (AGP version though...), and my current card is a 7800GT. mostly want the 7900GT cause i can get it for damn near nothing with eVGA's Step-Up program.

The 7900 would be an upgrade absolutely... but do you need it? Nope... not if those are the only games you play. Even with my 6800GT PCI-E version I get 100+ fps @ 1600x1200, so I dont think you need anything more then what you have for those games. DoD S with HDR takes a bit more... but the source games in general are CPU limited.. so instead of a GPU, go buy a nice high end CPU.

Aprox said:
The 7900 would be an upgrade absolutely... but do you need it? Nope... not if those are the only games you play. Even with my 6800GT PCI-E version I get 100+ fps @ 1600x1200, so I dont think you need anything more then what you have for those games. DoD S with HDR takes a bit more... but the source games in general are CPU limited.. so instead of a GPU, go buy a nice high end CPU.
My cpu is high enough for now...
But you and i have the same card?
Neat!
Thanks for your help!
-Jack

Since reading more reviews and such, I'm going with the dual SLI Nvidia 7900GTX....very sweet

Cool
I'll do something like that in my new machine...
But it'll be newer cards obviously :)

bleh.... not at all interested in Quad-SLi yet.

was in #43 of the queue on Thursday night.... Friday morning got an e-mail saying that i could submit the billing info and stuff for the next step of the process. now i'm not sure if i want to... since i might be getting my new monitor this weekend.... and i won't have any money in the bank until at least Friday. guess i may just be keeping my 7800GT.... maybe jus wait and try to go SLi with it later on.... or buy a 7900GT later on.... i dunno.

7800GT's can output in High Definition to a PC monitor through DVI, correct?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back