Derek's Upgrade Thread

I've been digging around on the internet for a few hours now, may have found something but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Tomorrow I'm going to try this process:

Enter BIOS and Enable Legacy USB Support
Boot into Windows and Shutdown PC
Hook Mouse/Keyboard into system directly
Boot into Windows - Ensure new hardware is detected and funtioning properly
Turn PC Off
Hook Devices into KVM
Turn it back on

If Legacy USB is already enabled, it might be a moot point. But something that's worth a shot.

It does make sense, although I think it's already enabled.

Legacy USB already enabled, which is what I thought.

On to the next bright idea :p

Even if I did that, when I came back it still woulnd't work. So that won't help me :smoker:

I ordered another 1GB (512MBx2) of RAM today. I only have 1GB (512MBx2) currently, and want more RAM so I can run Virtual PC with a little more flexibility :)

I have used it in the past, but some of the tinkering I want to do requires multiple sessions.

I also ordered some of those fancy SATA cables with clips. I was in the case the other day and noticed the cables were slippin a bit. Stupid stuff like that drives me nuts :p

No, definitely a PC with Windows baby, FTW!!

I'm assuming you asked that because of the Virtual PC - that's just so I can run multiple OS's from Windows without tri-booting.

I want to test with new Exchange/ISA demos, and of course Vista as well :)

Awesome. I have used VMWARE before, It is a pretty cool concept.

Although I haven't used VMWARE, I assume it's pretty much the same thing as VirtualPC.

I wish I could get my KVM sorted, but I may just not bother with it for now.

Business is very well of late, on the cusp of a nice bonus at work, and because 'tis the season to be jolly -

Am pondering an upgrade to this system. I think I may re-build entirely so I can get a nice sexy C2D proc. Have to crunch some numbers this week and see if I feel like it :D

Business is very well of late, on the cusp of a nice bonus at work, and because 'tis the season to be jolly -

Am pondering an upgrade to this system. I think I may re-build entirely so I can get a nice sexy C2D proc. Have to crunch some numbers this week and see if I feel like it :D

Go for it! You won't regret it.

I just finished up my new system with an E6700 this past Tuesday. It smokes my old system (3.8GHz P4, 2 X 74GB Raptors in RAID 0).

Attachments

• 100_1068 (3).jpg
    100_1068 (3).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 135
  • ConroeE6700 (2).jpg
    ConroeE6700 (2).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 133
What did you pay for your component upgrades if you don't mind me asking?

If I do it at all, probably will wait until early January so I can take care of higher priorities first. I am slowly finding components though...

It took me 7 or 8 months to buy all the parts. I started buying parts before the CPU or mobo were released. Originally planned on using the original "Bad Axe" mobo. By the time I had the money the "Bad Axe 2" had been released. Started with hard drives, then CPU cooler, then case.....

I caught the hard drives on sale at Dell.

Dell labeled W.D. 160GB Raptors: $160 X 2

From ClubIT.com (prices include shipping):

Cooler Master Stacker 810: $149.99

Intel D975XBX2 mobo: $241.99

Intel C2D E6700: $509.00

From sharkacomputers.com:

Zalman CNPS9500: $53.00 including shipping

Parts I robbed from my old computer to get new one running:

Enermax 600W EG701AX-VE power supply, BFGTech 7800 GTX video card, Sound Blaster X-Fi Music sound card, and optical drives.

Hmmm tasty.

Today I actually acquired two rather lucrative web projects. I'm about 90% close to sealing the deal, if I even get one (sure I'm get both tbh), I'm pulling the trigger on parts ASAP. Will need them quite frankly to better handle workload :eek:

Bah, stupid responsibilities.

Jan-June are going to be very expensive for me. At least for now, this won't happen :(

Decided to budget out before making the plunge, good thing I did :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back