Matt's Upgrade Thread

madmatt said:

Very nice pics - I also like your choice of rounded IDE cables :)

That tall fan next to your desk - I have the same one.

madmatt said:
Alright. I decided to take the hour or so to install the new ZALMAN HSF. It wasn't much fun to say the least. Firstly, I had to unhook everything to take the motherboard out. The case is a tight squeeze so it wasn't that easy (the next case I buy will have a removable motherboard tray).

Once I get the case out I install the base and top clip. The holes didn't match up so it took some convincing on my part.

Get that on and put the motherboard back in. Get all the wiring hooked up again and move onto the thermal paste.

I applied just a little and spread it evenly on the processor. I put the HSF in place and I tighten down the retention clip (which took some convincing too). I install the "Fan MATE" and we are good to go.

New processor temps according to the BIOS: 60C after idling for a while (far better than the 68C). It was as low as 54C. According to what I've read this is very good for a Pentium. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I plan on taking pictures tomorrow now that every thing is complete. I will setup Windows and migrate from there.

In regards to motherboard trays - although I used to be a fan myself I feel they are at this time overrated. Unless you change motherboards constantly, you are better off spending the money in areas that will be useful, like cooling and air flow design. Granted, the Zalman was a headache, but I'm sure if you have your way that mobo will never be removed again.

Those temp changes sure are drastic. Didn't someone in this thread say that it would only be a 2-3 degree difference? That sure makes you feel better about the purchase I bet :)

Those aren't fingerprints. It was damaged during shipping (the box came in soaked). I didn't feel like waiting for an RMA so I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks Derek, Saz. I can't wait to get everything installed so I can start using it.

Try a 10:1 mix of ammonia and water with a cotton clothe to clean the smudges on the front. You could just use windex (same thing) but it has a mess of other stuff (dies, fragrance, surfacants, etc) in it and you never know what will react with a finish and mess it up.

As for that retention clip you don't want to change out...

You really should. If it makes the heatsink sit a little cockeyed (more pressure on one side of the cpu than the other) cooling will suffer by as much as 10 deg C. I made that mistake once.

You know how much fun that won't be? I'll take your advice and change it.

Thank you for the advice.

EDIT: It was much easier this time. I did notice in the pictures that it wasn't on straight so I corrected that issue as well. Lee, I owe you rep but I have to spread it around. Thank you.

Last edited:
Just an update...

The new box is running great. Temp stays between 58C-65C. Just a small problem with my Logitech MX1000 Bluetooth mouse, but I think it's related to the mouse itself.

Two questions: What does everyone use to keep an eye on system temps while in the OS?

Also, I need a good PC toolkit. I don't need a huge kit, just something with all the essentials.

I'll post final pictures tomorrow at some point.

What exactly are you looking for in a toolkit? I have some good stuff from a company called Ames - I think.

I got some wraps with different types of torx/phillips/flatheads. Reasonably priced and come in the velcro-wrap as mentioned. I also have some markers, zip ties, Wireless Hotspot readers, Cable Testers, Pliers, blah blah

Looking for anything special?

The essentials. I have a small Belkin toolkit but I tend to leave that at work. I just wanted to see what others had.

This is the place I bought from, as earlier mentioned...

http://www.amessupply.com/default.cfm

They have a wide selection of every metal tool you could ever need.

Also would recommend a BartPE build and other goodies. I also have a screw kit, which has motherboard standoffs, drive mounting screws, all sorts of other stuff.

madmatt said:
What does everyone use to keep an eye on system temps while in the OS?

This is something I have been exploring lately as well, and have settled on Hardware Monitor. This program is freeware, very light on resources, and does the job very nicely :) Program even has a forum too which I haven't checked out much but just goes to show a wide base for support if needed.

http://www.hmonitor.com/

Motherboard monitor... Although,there hasn't been a new version in forever.

Usually the motherboard manufacturer has a program for it also.

kcnychief said:
This is something I have been exploring lately as well, and have settled on Hardware Monitor. This program is freeware, very light on resources, and does the job very nicely :) Program even has a forum too which I haven't checked out much but just goes to show a wide base for support if needed.

http://www.hmonitor.com/

Hmonitor is not free but does have a one week trial period then it will cease to function unless you pay for it.

Intel has their own monitoring software for boards based on Intel chipsets - Intel Active Monitor

For 915G, 915P, 925X, and later chipsets - Intel Desktop Utilities

I don't know how I missed that, but have only been using it a few days :p

Zombie wins a cookie. I looked at the downloads for my motherboard and never saw that one. Thank you.

Most mobo manufacturers have similar software.

I use asusprobe on my system and it works very well.

When I get home I am prepared to make Saz jealous with my dual screens. I have to call Adobe to get Photoshop activated and then I can post screenshots.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back