Solution for Vista folder issues (losing folder views)

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
WARNING: The exact cause of Vista losing it's memory on your folder view settings has not been found yet. This will just reset them for now to help Vista remember them again. It has been noticed that changing a lot of window folder view settings in combination with some unknown applications settings may be triggering this forgetfulness. Make sure that you do not have a setting in a 3rd party program set to clear the folder view setting cache when it is used. (EX: CCleaner - Window Size/Location cache option under Cleaner -> Advanced)

Reset Folder View Settings :

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.
3. Click Continue for UAC prompt.
4. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

5. In the left pane, right click on Bags, and click Delete.

6. Click Yes to the confirmation pop-up window.

7. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

8. In the left pane, right click on BagMRU and click Delete.

9. Click Yes to confirmation pop-up window.

Increase Folder View Cache Memory :
NOTE: This will increase the amount of folders to be remembered for changes to the folder view settings.
OPTION: This is a optional step, but the increase will help ensure that Vista does not forget. Steps 1-9 must be done first before you do this section. If you decide to skip it, them go to step 13.

10. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

11. In the right pane, right click on BagMRU Size.
23. Click Modify.

12. Dot the Decimal and type 20000 (folders) and click OK.
NOTE: 5000 is the default number of folders to be remembered.

Wrapping it Up :
13. Close regedit.
14. Logoff and logon,or restart the computer to apply the reset and to let Vista rebuild the registry keys with a clean slate.

Source:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

I have tested this and it does to seem to work so far :)

This is the thing I dislike about Vista the most. Very good info.

this has been the case since Windows XP and possibly earlier version for me. Change the view in a sub-folder (3rd or 4th level) and the view on 'My Computer' changes as well, but not any other sub-folders.

you would think they would have sorted it by now

MS doesn't have time to work on piddly stuff like displaying files and folders accurately and consistently!

hehe.. i just looked this up on google last week :]

yeah, they should definitely fix it

WARNING: The exact cause of Vista losing it's memory on your folder view settings has not been found yet. This will just reset them for now to help Vista remember them again. It has been noticed that changing a lot of window folder view settings in combination with some unknown applications settings may be triggering this forgetfulness. Make sure that you do not have a setting in a 3rd party program set to clear the folder view setting cache when it is used. (EX: CCleaner - Window Size/Location cache option under Cleaner -> Advanced)

Reset Folder View Settings :

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.
3. Click Continue for UAC prompt.
4. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

5. In the left pane, right click on Bags, and click Delete.

6. Click Yes to the confirmation pop-up window.

7. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

8. In the left pane, right click on BagMRU and click Delete.

9. Click Yes to confirmation pop-up window.

Increase Folder View Cache Memory :
NOTE: This will increase the amount of folders to be remembered for changes to the folder view settings.
OPTION: This is a optional step, but the increase will help ensure that Vista does not forget. Steps 1-9 must be done first before you do this section. If you decide to skip it, them go to step 13.

10. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

11. In the right pane, right click on BagMRU Size.
23. Click Modify.

12. Dot the Decimal and type 20000 (folders) and click OK.
NOTE: 5000 is the default number of folders to be remembered.

Wrapping it Up :
13. Close regedit.
14. Logoff and logon,or restart the computer to apply the reset and to let Vista rebuild the registry keys with a clean slate.

Source:

Windows Explorer Folder View settings - Vista Forums

I have tested this and it does to seem to work so far :)
Let them more and more easy

Great input. i have been searching for this solution and gladly found it here. Thanks for sharing.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back