Dell X_S M1330

snavesinned

OSNN Newbie
I read some good reviews on the XPS M1330 and decided to order one as a replacement for my 2+ yr old Fujitsu P7000 series ultra-portable laptop. I just got it about a week ago and I'm absolutely exasperated at the quality of craftsmanship.

After a couple days of being blinded by the sheer beauty of the design, the quality started to shine through. What first caught my attention was the rocking of the entire case as I typed for the first time on a flat surface. I tried different surfaces but alas, it was the case that was warped.

I then started to notice the curvature of the keyboard. I thought it might have been some kind of 'ergonomic' thing but now I'm convinced that this is part of the frame being warped in some way. I can also see it along the back area where the speakers are.

The metal around the speakers is bent in a ripple sort like manner on one section. Inspecting further I see that the right hinge of the LCD fits flush on the right side of the case where it's attached (no gap) but on the right side it's not flush where the hinge is attached. There's about 1/8" - 1/4" gap where I can see the hinge inside.

Lastly I took the M1330 out of the protective sleeve the other day and the silver 'P' is missing off of the XPS on the front. Turns out it came off in the sleeve as I later fished it out.

I'm just rather astonished with build quality of this notebook. I have the LCD screen and it seems VERY flimsy. This does not strike me as a very well built notebook and despite its design and performance, this is not a notebook I see lasting me a few years.

I've been reading up on the 'third times a charm' M1330 thread as well and feel rather upset with Dell right now. I've already started the process of getting a return with no intent to exchange for a new one. In all honesty I think I'll stick with my Fujitsu for awhile as this experience has turned me off to the prospect of purchasing a new laptop right now.

That's odd. I bought a Inspiron 6400 a few months ago and I've had no problems with it. The build quality is awesome. I couldn't be happier, and I was even able to choose XP :)

i have an inspiron 9400 and its very high quality + stands all my bashing around, absolutly love it :D

I read some good reviews on the XPS M1330 and decided to order one as a replacement for my 2+ yr old Fujitsu P7000 series ultra-portable laptop. I just got it about a week ago and I'm absolutely exasperated at the quality of craftsmanship.

After a couple days of being blinded by the sheer beauty of the design, the quality started to shine through. What first caught my attention was the rocking of the entire case as I typed for the first time on a flat surface. I tried different surfaces but alas, it was the case that was warped.

I then started to notice the curvature of the keyboard. I thought it might have been some kind of 'ergonomic' thing but now I'm convinced that this is part of the frame being warped in some way. I can also see it along the back area where the speakers are.

The metal around the speakers is bent in a ripple sort like manner on one section. Inspecting further I see that the right hinge of the LCD fits flush on the right side of the case where it's attached (no gap) but on the right side it's not flush where the hinge is attached. There's about 1/8" - 1/4" gap where I can see the hinge inside.

Lastly I took the M1330 out of the protective sleeve the other day and the silver 'P' is missing off of the XPS on the front. Turns out it came off in the sleeve as I later fished it out.

I'm just rather astonished with build quality of this notebook. I have the LCD screen and it seems VERY flimsy. This does not strike me as a very well built notebook and despite its design and performance, this is not a notebook I see lasting me a few years.

I've been reading up on the 'third times a charm' M1330 thread as well and feel rather upset with Dell right now. I've already started the process of getting a return with no intent to exchange for a new one. In all honesty I think I'll stick with my Fujitsu for awhile as this experience has turned me off to the prospect of purchasing a new laptop right now.

Make sure you keep all your reference numbers and see how much they can speed up the refund for you.

Cheers :)

Thanks Sazar. I wrote customer support an email requesting a refund which was confused with I wanted an exchange to which I reasserted the idea of a refund and I haven't heard anything back from them yet (their last email to me was yesterday morning).

I'm sure Dell makes some fine quality computers as some of you are experiencing with your other models but I'm looking for something a little more well made and will probably go with a Panasonic semi-rugged notebook like their T5 model which is lighter, smaller, longer battery life, but less processing and about $300+ more than what I paid for the Dell. Of course, I did already buy the memory upgrade for the Dell (because their memory pricing is out of wack) so I might go with something that uses the same memory. I'm just not real happy with Dell right now and I'm kind of turned off to the whole buying a new laptop experience.

I just need a durable, ultra-portable (12"-13" screen and >4lbs), has a long battery life, and is powerful enough to do day to day tasks on. I'll just get more life out of my Fujitsu, probably. I liked the M1330 but not this much.

hi,

Thanks Sazar. I wrote customer support an email requesting a refund which was confused with I wanted an exchange to which I reasserted the idea of a refund and I haven't heard anything back from them yet (their last email to me was yesterday morning).
:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back