turn photo into a pencil sketch [tutorial]

ljyanna

OSNN Newbie
Would you like to draw a pencil sketch? You are not good at drawing? Well, it doesn’t matter, follow me, please.

Step 1: Open your image in Photoshop, Choose Image->Adjustment->Desaturate (or Ctrl+Shift+U by default) to make the photo to black-and-white.

Step 2: Click Layer-> Duplicate Layer, duplicate the background as background copy.
duplicate.jpg

Step 3: Use Image->Adjustment->Invert (or Ctrl+I by default), then the image will look like a negative.
invert.jpg

Step 4: From the layer palette, set the blending options as Color Bodge.
color.jpg

Step 5: Choose Filter->Blur->Guassian Blur, set the radius 4 pixels.

Step 6: Don’t forget to merge the layer at last. So, everything is done!
pencil-sketch.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mini tutorial - pencil sketch

Nice one. Thanks. :)

I agree, great post :)

interesting... one question though (which I am sure makes no difference to the technique working!)

Why is "before" pic in monochrome and "after" pic in colour?

Oh yeah, OK two questions - is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?

Oh yeah OK that is five questions...
and if this is turning into Monty Pything where are the vikings to SPAM the thread? lol :D :p

[EDIT] this
if this is turning into Monty Pything
was a typo, but I decided this was Fujistic and should remain, because turning into Monty Python just does not have the same ring to it :D [/EDIT]

Oh yeah OK that is five questions...
and if this is turning into Monty Pything where are the vikings to SPAM the thread? lol :D :p

[EDIT] this was a typo, but I decided this was Fujistic and should remain, because turning into Monty Python just does not have the same ring to it :D [/EDIT]

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. :speechless:

Oh yeah, OK two questions - is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?
Photoshop.
I am not familiar with GIMP, so i don't whether it can be made with it.

Last edited:

This is an awesome post .. Thanx for posting it .

Very cool, thanks for the great tutorial.

- is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?

O.K. this is for all that may use Paint Shop Pro 9 or above.

As originally posted by ljyanna, but with differences. Mostly as to location of the tools and/or commands.

Step 1: Open image in PSP. Then click Image -> GrayScale.

Image1.jpg

Step 2: Now click Layers -> Duplicate.

Image2.jpg

Step 3: Now click Adjust -> Color Balance -> Negative Image.

Image3.jpg

Step 4: From the Layers Palette (usually set on right side of work window by default), set the blend mode to Dodge.

Image4.jpg

Step 5: Click Adjust -> Blur -> Guassian Blur. Again set the radius to 4 pixels.

Image5.jpg

Step 6: And finally merge the layers. Click -> Layers -> Merge -> Merge All (Flatten)

Image6.jpg

Now this in no way takes anything away from ljyanna. This is for any members that may use Paint Shop Pro ver9 or higher instead of PhotoShop. :D

Now if we can just Gimp it also, This would be the ultimate tutorial thread.

/me waits for the GIMP tut on this great thread!

(or are we going to new thread that in the Linux forum?)

I don't really know. But if someone that uses GIMP can do up the sequence of events for this "Pencil Sketch" would be great, even if this is not the Linux section. This being the Creative Development/Graphic Design section kinda makes it an all OS type thread, don't ya think?

I don't think that it matters being in the linux section, as the Gimp would be working with graphic design. *Still waiting for a Gimp tutorial*

One quick thing. In Paint Shop Pro X the Negative Image tool is under the Image tab on the top bar. Everything else is basically the same.

Attachments

• PSP10.jpg
    PSP10.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 462
I would do a GIMP one, but I can't download the gimp over an open wireless AP, I would feel bad for the people that own the AP if they would get extra charges because of bandwidth overages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back