Vista Beta 2 Nvidia driver problem

j4m3z420

OSNN Newbie
I recently installed Vista Beta 2, I have been testing Vista with each new
build. Nvidia released new drivers to go along with the Beta 2. When using
those drivers, or the ones that already come w/ Vista the result is stutting
window movement and usage. For example, when I run a screen saver, it seems to stutter every second. I installed the older drivers that were included with builds 5365 and previous (87.45 nvidia driver). When I install this the stuttering is gone. Why are the newer drivers causing my vista to stutter. It makes it seem like my cpu usage is high even though it is not. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. My videocard should be more then able to handle it. 6800gt. My computer is also fairly new. Any solutions?

I would also like to add that I first had this problem with the last build, 5381, with the drivers that were included with it, being that they were updated from the 5365 drivers

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
AMD 3700+ San Diego
MSI 6800GT 256MB PCI-E
WD 160GB SATA2
Corsair 1GB XMS PC3200
Lite-On DVD-RW
Lite-On CD-RW
OCZ Modstream 520w
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED
Thermaltake Tsunami
Viewsonic 17" LCD

I too am suffering from the exact same problem with stuttering screensaver stuttering mediaplayer graphical view. DWM Effects also stutter.

I have SLI setup but new nvidia drivers dont have a working control panel and I cannot enable or adjust settings :(
Far Far to much ram being used on a fresh install 600Mb hope this will drop sub 200 for release.

Im using 88.61 vista drivers and nforce_vista32beta2_english Drivers

SOmething just aint right :dead:

DFI NF4 SLI-DR
3200 Winchester
2*512 PdP XBLK Ram
2* XFX 6800Gt PCI-x
74GB Raptor Sata
160GB WD Sata

Ya, it seems like whenever something graphical happens whether in Media Center or viewing video, it stutters. It is only these new drivers tho, 87.45 works great.

I'm not seeing this issue on the 32bit build of 5384.4. Smooth as ice unlike 5381.

Sounds very similar to the issue GEN3RIC and I are experiencing, as mentioned in this thread:
http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?p=726144

I thought it was x64-specific, but it seems like it might be affecting x86 users as well. There are bug reports about this for 5381 (ID: 71103) and 5384 (ID: 78913). The latter has been marked as "Resolved" (Not Reproducible) in Build 5434 and higher, so we'll have to wait until the next build and see how it performs. I'm going to submit another report for 5384 x64 later today as well, just in case.

Unfortunately, with the x64 build, I don't have the option of going back to the 87.45 drivers since they were never on nVidia's site. But you're right, they worked perfectly in 5365 x64. In the meantime, I found that disabling the window animations (uncheck "Animate windows while minimizing and maximizing" box in the Performance Options dialog) made things a lot better for me.

NetRyder said:
Sounds very similar to the issue GEN3RIC and I are experiencing, as mentioned in this thread:
http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?p=726144

I thought it was x64-specific, but it seems like it might be affecting x86 users as well. There are bug reports about this for 5381 (ID: 71103) and 5384 (ID: 78913). The latter has been marked as "Resolved" (Not Reproducible) in Build 5434 and higher, so we'll have to wait until the next build and see how it performs. I'm going to submit another report for 5384 x64 later today as well, just in case.

Unfortunately, with the x64 build, I don't have the option of going back to the 87.45 drivers since they were never on nVidia's site. But you're right, they worked perfectly in 5365 x64. In the meantime, I found that disabling the window animations (uncheck "Animate windows while minimizing and maximizing" box in the Performance Options dialog) made things a lot better for me.

I am downloading 87.45 as we speak. Lots of hits when I googled "87.45 Vista"

NVIDIA's link
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_87.45.html

update: i just made attempt to install that driver. It doesnt work unfortunately. It said it could not load the device driver and when I tried to force it to install it rebooted normally but it was using the VGAsave driver at a solid 640x480.

Had to go back to the Beta 2 drivers...

I just started Steam to test counterstrike and for some reason Aero is smooth now. All stutter errors are gone. Let's hope it stays like this. Media Center is sweet btw.

GEN3RIC said:
I am downloading 87.45 as we speak. Lots of hits when I googled "87.45 Vista"

NVIDIA's link
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_87.45.html
Oh, I tried those a couple of days ago too. Didn't remember that those were the 87.45's.
5365 x64 had a different version then (later than 87.45), and if I could somehow get those, I imagine it would solve all the problems, assuming the problems are, in fact, driver-related.

I just started Steam to test counterstrike and for some reason Aero is smooth now. All stutter errors are gone. Let's hope it stays like this. Media Center is sweet btw.

Wow, you're right. Opening up Counter-Strike solves the problem, oddly enough. The game crashed before I could get in it, and everything is as smooth as silk. Very odd. Is there any other known solutions to this problem?

It should be noted though, my system is nearly identical to the OPs. The only difference between our systems as that I'm using an older 36GB Raptor for my primary hard drive.

I'm sorry for the minor thread res.

Last edited:
Wow, you're right. Opening up Counter-Strike solves the problem, oddly enough. The game crashed before I could get in it, and everything is as smooth as silk. Very odd. Is there any other known solutions to this problem?

It should be noted though, my system is nearly identical to the OPs. The only difference between our systems as that I'm using an older 36GB Raptor for my primary hard drive.

I'm sorry for the minor thread res.
Interesting. Does this persist across reboots, or do you have to start Counter-Strike each time to stop the stuttering? :D

Well, what do you know? Looks like you're right, and it seems to work with any OpenGL app. I just tried opening up Google Earth, and everything is beautiful again. What an odd fix. :)

I did found a good work around... Made a simple opengl application that just create and viewport and close and then added it to startup menu so now when vista start it just run it and aero run smoothly.

I installed the older drivers that were included with builds 5365 and previous (87.45 nvidia driver). When I install this the stuttering is gone.

A post further down says that they can't load the driver. I'd be interested in testing this, but how did you get the driver to load?

I'll try the OpenGL thing when I get home from work.

Hi,

I have the very same problem with my Asus N6800GT and the current nVidia driver. Still have to try the "OpenGl-Fix"...

Looks like this is a GeForce 6800(GT) problem. :suprised:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back