volume icon

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
here at work one of the guys was playing around and the volume icon is now missing

yes, I clicked always show, no joy

going into the start menu and properties, taskmanager, the volume icon is a folder and not an icon

now, doing system restore gets the icon back but I would really like to figure out where it went

does anyone know where the volume icon is located?

Mine has also been appearing and dissappearing several times over the last few months. In my case it was following sound driver updates.

You could try a sound reinstall.

I'll post back if i find anything simpler.

I might not be understanding you correct, but if I am, go to Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices, and on the main tab you have the option to place volume icon in taskbar...

Attachments

• audio.JPG
    audio.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 60
perris said:
ya, you didn't understand me, I said I did that
Heh, sorry, I figured that was too easy :)

Must be your .ico file for the icon got corrupted, I'm searching but I can't find the name of it anywhere.

Perris, you probably tried this too but if you haven't. It gets the icon back at least temporarily.

Do the set icon on in device manager.
But before selecting it uncheck it and apply.
Then do it over checking it and apply.

I'm still chasing the total solution.

PS I just reinstalled my drivers trying to get the icon back and that did not help either.

ya, I tried that

hey, there is a rebuild icon command thingy I forgot about

what was that

To fix this problem, download and install Tweak UI. Click the "Repair" link, then in the right pane of Tweak UI, click on the pull-down and choose "Rebuild Icons". Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialog box.

Trying the hide unused ICON settings under the task bar properties menu to force the icon on does not work either.

I'll go get tweakui. Swore I had that installed but it's missing...

wwwdjrcs said:
To fix this problem, download and install Tweak UI. Click the "Repair" link, then in the right pane of Tweak UI, click on the pull-down and choose "Rebuild Icons". Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialog box.
ya, I think that will work... what is the command tweak ui uses, there is what I want

Sometimes the “sndvol32.exe” gets corrupt or damaged and has to be copied from the XP CD (if using XP) or another system.

Should be in “C:\windows\system32” Just copy a replacement there.

The article below mentions this but with an error message “I know first hand that sometime the error message will not come up” windows just won’t put the icon in the task bar and go on about it’s business without telling you why.
But replacing “sndvol32.exe” worked for me.

Microsoft

Tweak ui did not work. sndvol32 is next on the to try list. I'll be back.

Happens to me all the time,I've now got one in quick launch instead cause I got sick of trying to find the stupid thing :mad:

I think Marge's approach is going to win.

Replacing sndvol32.exe with a copy from another computer where the icon does show up did not work.

I think I'll go pound my head against a brick wall. It will be more satisfying than chasing this problem any longer.

Hopefully someone will find an answer because it's not just the speaker icon on my system. AVG and my screen saver disappear periodicly also.

LeeJend said:
I think Marge's approach is going to win.
I think I'll go pound my head against a brick wall. It will be more satisfying than chasing this problem any longer.
I was the same and refused to give it the satisfaction of beating me so I told it where to go and sorted it my way :laugh:

I cheated, I googled it.

Windows XP bug. Several theories with weird work arounds. Best theory seems to be that it happens because multiple tasks are loading at the same time during start up. This fits with when I have seen the problem occur and not occur on my machine. In my case it may be my ATI Multimedia center loading too early in the start-up.

Not using automatic login helps, probably stretches out the startup process allowing more time between critical loads.
--or
At the bottom of the thread they have a startup control utility that seems to fix it.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

Anybody have a freeware start-up control program those are both pay?

Think I'll stick with my quick launch icon,less hassle and I like the icon I chose for it :laugh:

I was just about to post a thread about this same issue. This just happened yesterday, volume icon disappeared. When I go to control panel and on to sounds, gotta uncheck, apply, and recheck the sound in tray option. still the same after a few restarts though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back