ok my router died help me pick another one.

Titles says it all my wirless on my old LINKSYS has given up on me. Time to buy another one and as much as i use the computers in the house id like some flexibility.

Ok i Run 2 desktops and a Win 2003 server Off of hardwire.

I have two laptops that use wirless.( I use cisco aironet 350 series wirless cards for them. )

Id like some flexibility with the server side of things. I Run alot of port forwarding for p2p on the server. And i want to set up some fancy stuff with the server in the future. I reguarly RMT connect two the server too from laptop and desktops.

Ok thats what i do. Any ideas on what i would want? i can only spend tops 125 right now. Oh and i have Time warner Cable. Id kinda like to stick with LINKSYS but this death has made me a bit edgy of them. But coming from the fact that petabytes of info have moved through it. ID imagine its just old age.

Reps for your time.

Edit oh and 2 more things.
1. Iv used WEP on the old one (128 bit) & MAc filtering but the more secure the better in the city in my opinion. So im open to some new stuff there too.

2. I relize the best idea would be to take a old machine and put linux on it then hub it but a router is just so much easier. hehe

EDIT

OK because of you guys i have decided to get the WRT54G

But newegg has two of them and the more expensize one seems to be not as good What you guys think should i go with the second link or am i missing something?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124136

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

Last edited:
Linksys WRT54G, if you want to run the Linux firmware, you have to get the Linksys WRT54GL (Special Linux edition).

That is the only router worth buying in my opinion, I have tried many other routers, and have always found them lacking, while Linksys has it's weak points, it is one of the best routers I have tried, and it still does a great service for me and my family. In total count, since I moved a server in place to count traffic from the local subnet through my server out to the router, I have counted over 10000 GB has been transferred to and from the router. This is however not a wireless router, it is one of the older BEFS models.

Use the Linksys 54g series, w/wo the speed boost it's been a great router for me handles everything I throw at it, wired and wireless plus the interface. It has WPA for more security....yada yada yada, but you know all this. Of course this is my preference, I'm sure everybody else will chime in with their own.

got a link to the one your talking about. i found this.

Looks exactly what i have im too lazy to crawl up there and look what model it is. hehe

Any other ideas guys?>

ok i crawled up there my old one was a Wirless B BEFW1154 ver 2

Repped both of you i want as much input from all of you guys as yo will give me then i will make a few choices and od my own research hehe.

falconguard said:
Use the Linksys 54g series, w/wo the speed boost it's been a great router for me handles everything I throw at it, wired and wireless plus the interface. It has WPA for more security....yada yada yada, but you know all this. Of course this is my preference, I'm sure everybody else will chime in with their own.

I agree on the model... but why without speedbooster?

I did a google, and found very few complaints about speedbooster messing peeps up...

Just remember that you need a Linksys Speedbooster card to get the full effect. If you are using integrated wifi on a laptop and dont want to use a PCMCIA card (like me) then it's not worth it.

Also, a friend has the speedbooster version and he said its not worth it. All comes down to preference and price.

i love my linksys wag54g, but is for ADSL. presume you can get one with a cable modem in stead of an adsl modem in it.

it just works all in one, and works well. :D

A few good links to help you with your decision

Technical Autopsy of the WRT54G/Sxxx Series(www.linksysinfo.org)
Opensource/3rd party firmware(www.linksysinfo.org)

If you decide to get one and use unofficial firmware (highly recommended), be sure to read carefully into the flashing methods or else you can end up bricking the router (there are some debricking tools).

I havent personally got one of these myself, but should be getting one soon :) . Good price for an abundance of features and a large opensource community. I like.

I was getting really crappy wireless with the WRT54G (lots of packet loss). Now I have a Netgear WPN824. Been a lot smoother since.

But I didn't have a problem with the WRT54G until I moved. It had been working really well for 3 and a half years.

You can't really go wrong with either of these.

I have:
7 year old linksys running my network
2 year old dlink sitting in the closet collecting dust.
1 year old netgear sitting in the closet collecting dust.

That pretty much says it all.

Remember you will not be able to take advantage of the speed boost without a speedboost card, like Admiral Michael said. So if, you are not looking to put more money out, than the cheaper one should suffice.

If I may say so, excellent choice!

If you want free - I have a WRT54G and it would only cost you shipping! I'd swap it for something like a couple of audio CDs or a DVD I do not have....

Only reason for swap is Lord does not like these, prefers our Dlink and also is itching to get a new one anyway (but he has forgotten why and until he remembers I am not parting with any £'s for replacement to our Dlink!)

So - this is a serious offer - just you may be in States and in a hurry is only problem I guess :(

yah i will trade. I get back later today (going to work) We can figure out what to trade then.

VenomXt said:
yah i will trade. I get back later today (going to work) We can figure out what to trade then.

:mad:

check the time you posted this and read your PMs and check the time I sent you the PM...

AHEM.... **taps foot impatiently** :rolleyes:

PMed you.

Mainframeguy said:
If you want free - I have a WRT54G and it would only cost you shipping! I'd swap it for something like a couple of audio CDs or a DVD I do not have....

Only reason for swap is Lord does not like these, prefers our Dlink and also is itching to get a new one anyway (but he has forgotten why and until he remembers I am not parting with any £'s for replacement to our Dlink!)

So - this is a serious offer - just you may be in States and in a hurry is only problem I guess :(

I dont have alot of CD's DVD's anymore id be happy to trade for something else. I have alot of crap lol. Have to make a list.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back