6700 and other smart phone tips and tweaks

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
the sprint ppc 6700 is one fine piece of equipment, it's already the most desired smart phone and I'm going to do a few tutorials here starting with setting up your modem...I'm getting between 500 and 800 kbps anywhere I have a signal, so this is REALLY sweet.

most of the tweaks or suggestions I make concerning this phone will work on any windows smart phone or device

there are some tutorials around the net, but I don't think they're as clear

just like a pc, obvioulsy back up all your data whenever you're gonna be messin with tweaks

the first thing you want to do after you get activated is purchase the insurance, this is one phone you don't want to have to pay to replace.

the very next thing I think users should do is set it up as an internet modem for their laptop.

if you have blue tooth you're going to set the modem up twice, once with blue tooth for convenience, and you're going to want to have the usb connection also since you pretty much double your connection speed over a blue tooth tether

if you don't have blue tooth on your laptop, pick it up, it's only about 40 bucks and installs in a snap

the drivers for the modem that are on the cd aren't recognized by some computers, if not use this download and install

we'll start with the usb connection and take it from there.

do not plug your 6700 into the laptop yet.

on your phone, go into programs from the start menu, find "wireless modem, double click

the middle scroll down pain should read "usb", if not, switch that view so it does.

hit start bottom left...you cannot do this while the 6700 is connected, it won't work...ever.

once you have that done, and the modem is started, plug your 6700 into the computer.

the new hardware wizard will come up, follow the wizard, you will have be able to choose your 6700 as modem or cdma modem

both will work, I have no idea which will be faster, I'm pretty sure both connections to the internet are free if you have a vision plan, but some seem to think it's only free if the modem is set up as cdma...I don't know.

now you have to create the connection;

go into your control panel and hit the "network and internet connections" link, you're going to "setup or change your internet connection" "setup" a new internet connection

the wizard opens, hit "connect to the internet"> next> set up a connection manually.

you're using a dial up modem, hit next, pick any name for this connection you want.

for the phone number,#777, then hit next.

for the sprint service there is no name or password, hit remember password, hit next, fini.

to get on line I would drag the icon from internet connections into your quick launch bar.

double click, the window comes up, the fields for name and password should be blank, the number to dial should be set to #777.

before anything, hit properties, make sure your modem is checked, also hit the arrow to the right and move this modem up to the top

since I never use dialup modems, I went into hardware and I dissabled my 56k modem

you really need to check this everytime you go to dialup because when you remove the modem xp moves the only modem that's left up to the top and if you don't check it before you dial you'll get an error

that's it, you should be able to get on line

follow the same instructions above for your blue tooth modem, first partner, then do go to create a new connection and follow the wizard exactly the same

if you get the verizon version instead of sprint, everything is the same exceptyou'll need to fill in the user name and password.

I believe the default username is
Code:
your 9 digit phone number with area code@vzw3g.com

the default password is vzw.

I don't think they have unlimited data plans at verizon so I don't recomend verizon for this phone.

Last edited:
Re: pbb 6700 tips and tweaks

the tweaks that I'm posting I didn't come up with, I'm only rewording instructions that aren't quite clear enough for my liking

the next thing you need to do is fix a bug in the software,

the hardware button that's supposed to go to your homepage will not even if you set your home page, you have to fix that.

there are a few programs that are free that need to be installed in the 6700

believe it or not, there's a regedit after maket, I'll get to that in later posts, but for now download total comander which is a file tool that's not available in the pocket pc

isntall the smartphone version, I would put it on your data card and not in main memory;

once you have the program installed the icon is going to be in the "programs" link on your phone

double click, navigate to "\Windows\AppButtons" folder, find the "Internet Explorer.lnk" file.

after you find the file, highlight, hit the file button that;s ont the bottom right of the screen, in the scroll down hit edit, change

"\Windows\iexplore.exe\windows\default.htm"

TO:
"\Windows\iexplore.exe"

that's with the quotes

hit the file button again, hit save

then soft reset the phone

to soft reset the phone, just put your sylus in the whole at the bottom of the phone to the left of the usb port,,,the soft reset doesn't loose anything, it's just a reboot for the pda

now when you hit the hardware button the internet explorer will go to the home page that you set through the regular gui

Last edited:

later on I'll post some more...another very important hack is going to be keeping the keyboard light on for more then the default 10 seconds.

though some have tried, do not change the location of your internet files to the sd card, that eventually freeze the phone

I would make sure the path to all your video's and pictures go to the sd card as well, that can be done throught the gui

I'll go over some gui tweaks and reg hacks that I like, I won't post anything I haven't tried unless I say that I haven't tried it

another first thing you have to do is reasign the hardware buttons to your liking, make sure you take advantage of the tap and hold feature which gives some buttons double the functionality

Last edited:

I guess this is going to be for all pocket internet explorers, but go to menu, view, hit full screen to regain plenty of real estate

then both the address bars and task bar disapear until you push the menu again...I like this

personally I use one column view also

go to settings, today screen, uncheck everything you don't use every day

go to settings, menu, take out whatever you have set up for hardware buttons since you won't be using the screen for those functions, I would uncheck the help tab, and of course all the firmware buttons you'll never use

try to keep the menu streamlined with items you know you'll be using pretty often

I went to settings, sounds, and hit loud screen taps and hardware sounds

I went to saettings, screen, and increaseed the time out on batteries to 3 minutes, the battery lasts pretty long and I would also increase the back light brightness to maximum

open a screen and hit the screen key pad icon so the keypad goes on screen

there's a pop up button to the right of the keypad, hit options and make that kepypad large keys

Last edited:

well, this wi fi finder is excellant

the 6700 is pretty sensitive telling you when you have a signal, but this program puts up a radar screen and gives you location for best reception

it's free, and it's very nice...if you need help installing it let me know

another great free program

on pocket pc's you never turn off an app unless you go through a long process of accessing the memory readings...too much trouble

this applicarion is a separate task manager that hangs out on the address bar...you can use this to shut down individual programs

this came with my axim called the switcher bar, but there's nothing like it on the 6700 so you're gonna need this app

Last edited:
Re: ppc 6700 tips and tweaks

attached on this post in the zip is a registry editor for a pocket pc

it works and looks exactly like regedit on your comouter.

to install, sink with your pocket pc, hit explore

go to the storage card, right click, create a folder to put all your programs in, you can call it program files if you want

now, open the zip and drag in the regedit file from pc to the data card.

go to your pocket pc, find the file, double click, install to data card, finished

regedit is now in your list of programs when you it the link from your start menue

Attachments

• MobileRegistryEditor.zip
    75.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Re: ppc 6700 and smart phone tips and tweaks

ps

if you have a smart phone, do not install netstumbler, it won't work

the program I listed above, wififofum works very nicely

this is pretty good, the keyboard only stays lit for ten seconds, I think that's got to be raised...at least to 20

open the regedit program I just posted, navigate

HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\QKeyLedTimeout

double click that and change the value to your pleasure

Last edited:

the 6700 comes inststalled with some favorites in internet explorer that take up too much real estate

get rid of what you don't want;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internetexplorer\Main\FavoritesEntries]

the sub keys have the default favorites with the url and icon data.

delete whichever favs you don't want

holy crow, this is nice

I just blue toothed my axim pocket pc to my 6700

the axim has a screen that's about twice the size, but the 6700 goes on the internet and the axim doesn't have any network cards

anyway, I bluetooted the axim, opened all services like dialup, opened all ports, I married the two, and the 6700 went on the internt as a modem for the axim.

this was a pretty simple set up and I'm very surprised I couldn't do it the same way with my laptop...instead with the laptop I needed to download some drivers.

anyway, this works very nicely

Hehe...regedit on a phone. Tweaker's paradise. :D

I wish I could find a good deal on a smartphone with Windows Mobile 5. T-Mobile is expected to release the MDA and the SDA in February, both of which are sweet devices, but I suspect they'll be far too expensive for me at launch. :(

Do you know of any cases or holsters for the 6700? Also, is there a way to use the 6700 as a modem for your laptop?

ya, I posted the instructions to use the 6700 as a modem with both blue tooth and usb on the very first panel

usb is faster then blue tooth, but set up both

mine came with a holster, yours didn't?

edit

I'm told that the verizon phone has hidden the cdma modem

it's still possible to install it, but I don't use verizon so I don't know how to do it

my freind has one and I'm trying to work it out with him

will report when we get it done

I guess this is now one of my favorite tweaks for pockey pc

first thing everyone has to do is install the free program "magic button"

when you launch an app on a pocket pc it never shuts down unless you go into the controll panel which takes too long

magic button configures so whatever programs you want to close will do it when you x the program out

one exception though

active sinc always wants to run, even if you physically close it down

got a tweak for ya

while not in the cradle, open active sinc on the pocket pc

hit "add server source" and configure a new server...to make this simple, just tap "a" in every field, cuz you're just gonna delete it when you're done

once you follow the wizard and finnish there will be new options in the menue on active sync;

" schedule" will be available

use the scroll bar to scroll up and there is "manually"

check that in both fields, hit ok, then go into options again and delete the new server

you have to delete the new server otherwise active sinc will try to connect and you will have to wait for it to time out

done

now active sinc will activate when you cradle and won't launch on it's own otherwise

sweet tweak

Last edited:
this is just TOO sweet

there used to be a program called smart dialing for the 6600 which for some reason wasn't included in the 6700

it's basically an auto complete for your phone, while you're dialing manually, options come up from your contacts list and numbers you've already dialed

VERY nice

you're going to need the total comander program I posted above to follow the directions

unzip the file, click the read me, follow the instructions, WELL worth the trouble

DO NOT OVERWRITE any files that ask to overwrite, if it's there, the one that's there is fine

once you've completed the instructions, you'll have a new skin for the phone, but it's very nice

you'll need to enable "smart dialing" from the phone menu

enjoy, this is EXCELLANT

Attachments

• SmartDialing6700WM5.zip
    471.9 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Great job Perris. This is useful information. Even though I don't have the phone (I was bored) I read through the information... nice work.

must do;

real time memory management isn't bad in this pocket pc, but permanent memory management is horrible

your phone will slow to a crawl unless you clear the internet explorer cache every once in a while

I set history to 3 days, make sure you delete the files every once in a while also

some people have tried moving these files to the data card which for some reason only works for a little while before the browser becomes corrupt

to clear the cache, menue>tools>options>memory

clear both fields...this takes quite a few minutes, so do it when you don't plan on using the device, hit the button, go play a game of chess, it should be done by the time you get back

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back