The Multi-Core/Multi-Processor Club

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
We have a few people investing in new X2 and Opteron dual-core setups so it is only prudent to create an appropriate thread to encompass all of them.

Refer technical support questions and other pertinent questions in separate threads. Due to the increased volume of posts in this thread related to general questions and support inquiries, it is better and easier for those questions to be addressed in separate threads in this forum section.

Thanks

- Sazar

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Athlon X2 processor club

I'm in with a 3800+ X2
=]
Just built it 3 weeks ago and love it

MSI NEO4 Platinum
gForce 7800 GT
1gb OZC Low latency high performance RAM
74Gb Raptor
400Gb WD

I got an A64 3500+ a couple months ago to recover from my older motherboard and CPU fan going on me. The budget for duel proc was out then; albeit I'm currently looking at employment. Assuming all goes well (unsure, as I need to apply and everything); my plans for upgrades would be, in order of priority:

- More RAM (still have 512 MB Corsair XMS 2400, set to a locked 266 MHz memory bus). Holding stuff back the worst. This also, no doubt will be an absolute necessity for Windows Vista, and already 512 MB is feeling tight...

- Then I might get an X2 (assuming something better doesn't come out in the interum from either AMD or Intel. Time of course will tell...) Among other things, this will let me get even more crunch time in :D Gotta keep them distributed computing points up ;) :angel:

- An upgrade to my 9600 Pro. At this point I might make a switch from AGP to PCI-X. Owning the CPU and RAM, another mobo isn't that expensive, compared to other stuff...

Last edited:

Looks like I just joined the ranks. Hope it all works. Sometimes you read the reviews on newegg and start doubting youeself with some of the hardware.
CPU AMD 64 |4400+ ATHLON X2 939P RT - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$497.00)
MEM 512x2|CORSAR TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$100.00)
VGA EVGA|GF 6800GS 256-P2-N386 - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$199.00)
MB ASUS A8N-E NF4U 939 - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$109.99)
Discount FOR 19-103-546&20-145-450 (Qty=1,Price=$-10.00)
GIFT NERO 7 ULTRA EDITION - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$0.00)

AMD 64-bit dual-core processor club

Here's mine :)

:cool:

Attachments

• X2 CPU-ID.JPG
    X2 CPU-ID.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
Re: AMD 64-bit Dual Core Processor Club

Ok Sazar, time to OC those puppies and see what they can do...:laugh:

AMD64 Opteron 175
2GB OCZ EL Platinum
ASUS A8N-Sli Premium
7800GTX 256MB
SB X-Fi Platinum
Seagate 120GB SATA

Black-Syth said:
AMD Athlon X2 4800+

Nice setup, but what Mobo are you using???

mlakrid said:
Nice setup, but what Mobo are you using???

Yeah, you got my answer in the other thread, but I'm going to reply here anyway.

The ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe.

Honestly speaking, I think I need to do a Driver revamp on the entire thing. My pal has a 6800GT and a single core Athlon 3200+ (Newcastle, I think.) and games, FEAR specifically speaking, runs a lot worse on my computer than it does on his. Which is exactly where BIOS flash question came into play. I don't do BIOS flashes, really. So, thanks for that link. I'm about to do it right now according to the instructions. I'll check back in a tad.

I would strongly look on the AMD website. I thought I had heard some things about a driver that was needed for the X2 processors or dual core processors that improved overall game play as well as windows.

I haven't looked into it because I'm still doing some occassional upgrades.

ahah! That's what I was thinking of.

OK guys give

I want to hear the performance stories, some comparative to single core anecdotes will be nice.

talk me into a dually

Honestly, I won't talk anyone into a dually that doesn't need it. Unless they say they want a processor that is futureproof. Seeing as that there are only a few programs (mostly graphics design programs), which utilize dual core. But more programs are being written to use both cores recently.

perris said:
OK guys give

I want to hear the performance stories, some comparative to single core anecdotes will be nice.

talk me into a dually

I had written almost 2 pages worth of posts before. Just not gotten into the swing to do the same again.

ShepsCrook said:
Honestly, I won't talk anyone into a dually that doesn't need it. Unless they say they want a processor that is futureproof. Seeing as that there are only a few programs (mostly graphics design programs), which utilize dual core. But more programs are being written to use both cores recently.
isn't multi tasking that much faster?

for instance, can't you even run the folding program while your working with no noticeable affect in performance?

and wouldn't you be able to work on a few performance hogs at once even if they weren't written for two processor optimization?

like video photo and music editing

Yes, this is true also. I've found when I launch Photoshop, it blases open, and I can still do multiple other things while it opens (very quickly I might add).
I also extract large .rar files and I still can do more.

Now if multitasking is a large issue for you, then I'd strongly suggest a dual core.

ShepsCrook said:
Yes, this is true also. I've found when I launch Photoshop, it blases open, and I can still do multiple other things while it opens (very quickly I might add).
I also extract large .rar files and I still can do more.

Now if multitasking is a large issue for you, then I'd strongly suggest a dual core.
I keep as many prorgrams open as possible which makes my system pretty close to solid state since just about everything is in memory.

with the dually, this will also mean no slow downs while programs are also doing their own work

gonna look into it

laptop available yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back