Atapi.sys problem

one.123

-0-;;
i made a thread awhile ago explaining my problem with stop errors..well i have more information on the error that i still have.

it is a stop error "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (0x000000D1) and it either shows no driver or shows atapi.sys

i have a 120gb as my master, and a 160 as slave. i heard that you need an updated atapi.sys to run hdd's that are over 137gb. but i havent' had this problem until i moved to pci-express. i also heard that this kind of stop error could be associated with memory..i did run memtest+ overnight and it passed all of the tests, around eight times i think. i also reformatted already. the bsod usually appears when i run a game, it doesn't happen very often when im just using firefox or other applications, but it does happen. so does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

also what is the difference between raid, sata, and ide. would switching from ide to sata or raid solve this problem?

What operating system do you run and if XP do u have SP2 installed. I think they fixed the limit in SP2.

yea i have sp2. and i just read something about updated atapi.sys in sp2

Well SATA is a bit faster, you either need an adapter to use an IDE drive but there is zero advantages to that.

The best way would be to buy SATA drives from now on and slowly convert. Remember that unlike IDE its only 1 drive per port. So it you have 2 SATA ports on the computer then you can only have 2 SATA drives (unless you buy a PCI addon card).

question, have you installed the motherboard's drivers? Like the chipset and such?

yes updated all drivers, graphics card, nforce drivers, except for the nvidia ide manager, which i didn't install because it gave me stop errors as well, and when i deleted them it started giving atapi.sys with the stop errors. so im guessing its a harddrive compatibility issue with the new mobo and graphics card. anything about certain hdd's not working with pci-express? so if i use SATA, it won't use the atapi.sys driver or will it?

Im not sure about the ATAPTI.sys and SATA.

Your move to PCI-Express, this was a new motherboard exchange correct? If so did you format and reinstall windows (format not "Repair")

Im wondering if it could be related to the IDE drivers you didnt install. Are these off the CD or updated off the manufacturer's site?

the ide drivers i didn't install were the nvidia ide manager drivers. they came with the cd and are offered through the nvidia site. the first time i installed windows, i installed the drivers. but then i got stop errors that were the same as the one i am having now only that atapi.sys was replaced with nvatabus.sys i believe.

I quickly re-skimmed through the previuos posts, you didnt mention the board your using.

never heard of BFG (I stay away from unknown types). Since the site says to use the drivers from Nvidia.com Im not sure what else to suggest.

hmm someone recommended that i call mircrosoft tech support...would this be a good idea? and do you know wehre i could find the number to reach them..i went to their site and all i could find was a number that was around 200$ per call..is this the only option?

IF your copy is legit. Even at that Im not sure how much help that would be since Ive never called and wouldnt want to.

hmm just saw something weird..i turned on my comp and as windows loaded i saw my fan on my cpu stop...but it turned on again right when it came to a complete stop..so now im wondering maybe some of my hardware is busted? i did move the hardware seperatley when i moved..so maybe something got messed up?

Is this the fan than came with the CPU or a third party fan? and is it plugged into the motherboard or thru a power supply plug via an adapter?

its the fan and heatsink that came with the cpu...and its connected through the motherboard

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back