*help* GRAPHIC CARD DOUBLE CHECK

miss_kalel

Luthor Corp
When you install a new graphic card.... what is the first thing that you should do? uninstall the old software to the old graphic card...? and then install the graphic card and then the software for it?

I just want to make sure. Hopefully this will fix my counterstrike problem. :suprised:

goto www.driverheaven.net and look around for driver cleaner - use that to clear out all traces of old drivers, then swap the cards over and go from there.

This will net you the best results with the least problems :)

The manufacturer procedure is:

Use the manufacturer Uninstall utility to remove the old driver.
Turn off power and remove the old card.
Install the new card.
Turn on the power.
Tell windows where manufacturer driver disk is located when it asks.
Reboot

My version:
Go to manufacturer web site and get the latest driver, do not install yet!
Use the Uninstall utility to remove the old driver.
Use nasty file remover, driver cleaner, etc. to get what the manufacturer utility missed.
Turn off power and remove the old card.
Install the new card.
Turn on the power.
Tell windows where you downloaded the latest driver to when it asks.
Reboot.

Sometimes the manufacturers stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.

to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter, take the old card out, with the pc off and unplugged, but the new v/card in then when you boot up, the o/s should notice that its a different card, then just install the new drivers for the card or better still just install the vga drivers, once the pc is fully booted run the (ati or nvidia), whatever card drivers you have, then then follow the prompts. its not really rocket science and in 99.9% of cases (i've never had a problem in 10yrs of doing this) you'll never have to uninstalled drivers, as the card will just use the specified ones under device manager.

lancer: if everyone did it that way then all the tech forums on ther internet would be full of people habving pc's crash due to conflicting drivers, missing files, incorrect files, etc.

everyone: There is only one way to ensure trouble free installtion of a new video card or new drivers and that is complete removal of all prior existing drivers before installing new drivers. my soultion posted above involving driver cleaner3 will give you trouble free graphic card installation as long as you apply abit of common sense and kick the old grey cells into gear.

Installing a new piece of hardware is not comlpicated, try not to fall into the trap that you make it harder than it really is. Whip out te old card, plug in the new one, load up windows cancel all requests by windows to install new drivers if you can, run driver cleaner, reboot, install new drivers for video card and be happy.

If I see any other solutions I'll start stealing peoples cookies!! :D

hey lordofla, wtf is your problem

haha just j/k, :) what you said is correct, but all i'm saying is i've done it for years without removing old drivers and never had an issue, i'd like to see and instance where i could force the issue on my pc, just so i know what you guys have been experiencing.

lancer

LordofLA's problem is he is right. Both Nvidia and ATI adamantly specify that not only other brand drivers, but their own previous drivers be completely removed before installing a new driver or new hardware.

There have been dozens of posts by people on this forum who couldn't get new hardware working becasue they didn't uninstall the old drivers first.

I got lazy and tried to go from a 9500 pro to a 9800 pro thinking I could skip the driver uninstall. WRONG. I had to put the old card back in to be able to boot far enough to uninstall the old drivers.

I would forget and windows would load default drivers for the new card. Never had a problem with conflicing drivers or missing files. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary but VERY STRONGLY suggested that one must remove the previous cards drivers before installing the new card. I remove my drivers now all the time. Better to be safe and save yourself some needless aggrevation I say.

Only problem is that Lord left out some info that comes before using driver cleaner.

You are supposed to uninstall drivers through add/remove, reboot and then run driver cleaner.

The original poster asked what you do first and he said use driver cleaner.

what is the best driver cleaner ? if i decide to use this driver cleaner thingy... do i do it first? or after the installation?

thanks

Uninstall drivers from old card through Windows add/remove programs then reboot.

After reboot run Driver Cleaner then after it is done cleaning you shut down computer and replace old card with new.

Sorry of i cause offence O master, :)

But i still stand by the fact i have never had an issue and those that do clearly A) have a bad system or B)are less techically able.

Sure if you go from an ati to an nvidia card its a good idea. Sure its a good idea anyway, (i did last night when i put my new card in), just so everything was all clean and dandy.

But it is not a prerequisite by any means.

No doubt you'll all disagree, but i think you all like to make it harder on yourself than it needs to be,

take old card out, put new card in, skip the auto driver install at boot up, use the .exe from the card co and vola, its installed. IF you run into trouble then go about doing drive clean etc... but why fix it if it aint broke.

ok well last night i did use drivercleaner, just to see if it improved my performance, and i think it did a little, i didn't really notice, but i think far cry was a little faster. I'll abide by the rules in future:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back