Intel D915PBL Mainboard
1 Gig DDR2 in dual channel mode
3.4 GHz Pentium 4, LGA775 package 800 MHz fsb
Western Digital Cavial 200 GB SATA HD
380 Watt Antec Power SUpply
GeForceFX 6600, 256 Meg
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Running XP Pro, SP2

Issue: My hard drive ticks like a clock, while XP is running. It's like the drive is being accessed, like clockwork, every second. Also, when I move the mouse, there's a "processing sound" while I'm moving it around. I've tried a clean installation with driver updates all around. Turning off autorun, and checked for loose front panel wire connections. I also tried running with just the reset switch and power switch wires connected. (unplugged the HD LED and Power LED wires) Ran the Western Digital drive test - no problems detected. Ran SiSoft Sandra HD configuration test - no problems found. Defraggmented the hard drive even though it didn't really need it - No change. WTF? The SATA drive has always been a little noisy, but it's acting like it's being taxed / accessed constantly, even while idle.

Anyone?

-Wrath

soubnde when moving te mouse is just interference and cross talk on all the pathways adn your audio card plays that as noise.

windoes could very well be upto some spuriou sidle disk activity so unless things are failing and crashing I wouldnt worry too much

Not Worried

LordOfLA said:
soubnde when moving te mouse is just interference and cross talk on all the pathways adn your audio card plays that as noise.

windoes could very well be upto some spuriou sidle disk activity so unless things are failing and crashing I wouldnt worry too much

Thanks.

I'm not worried though. I'm annoyed. The "ticking" is driving me nuts!

-Wr@th

Make sure all the power cables are snugly placed into the back of the drive. One lose one & tick, tick, tick, dying, dead.

LordOfLA said:

Dude, what are you smoking? I want it too... :yowch:

yeah its funny how he complains to me on irc about typing errors

Did I post this in the wrong channel? If not, can someone direct me to a better site for troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Wr@th

Another hundred bucks

Someone suggested that since the new 775 boards use more power, and since there was no "tick tick tick" before I replaced my mainboard, that perhaps my 380 Watt PSU was not providing enough juice. So I went and spend a hundred bucks on a new 420 Watt PSU and swapped it in. I Made sure all the cables were well seated etc and booted back up. No change. Tick tick tick tick tick...

;-(

If it is still under warranty I'd be taking it back.

Found this>>

Common Symptom: Hard drive makes a continuous clicking noise pattern, grinding sound or smokes.

Diagnosis: Hard drive has physical damage and needs clean-room work. Professional data recovery required.

When a hard drive clicks, ticks, or grinds it's a sure sign the drive is physically bad. It is very important the hard drive be turned off immediately. Leaving it on will eventually make all the data unrecoverable.

Clickings sounds are generally the result of bad heads being unable to calibrate with the media servo tracks, which makes the drive keep resetting. A grinding sound is usually the result of a head crash. As one of the more worse scenarios, if not turned off, will cause unrecoverable damage.

Don't risk losing your data! Don't bang on the drive or leave it running. Don't run software on it. Definitely don't put it in the freezer! (We hear people doing this all the time.) The drive should be turned off at the first sign of can noise.

Here

Way to Google dude.

As I clearly stated in my initial post, there is nothing wrong with the hard drive. It has passed every test I've hit it with, including the hard drive manufacturer's own drive test. 100% A.O.K with flying colors. XP is accessing the drive every second, tick, tick, tick. It's not clacking, it's not grinding and it's certainly not smoking. It's just getting accessed, every friggin' second, like it's ticking off the seconds until I finally take a friggin baseball bat to my Piano Black Laquered Sonata case.

Aiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!!

-Wr@th

Hipster Doofus said:
If it is still under warranty I'd be taking it back.

Found this>>

Common Symptom: Hard drive makes a continuous clicking noise pattern, grinding sound or smokes.

Diagnosis: Hard drive has physical damage and needs clean-room work. Professional data recovery required.

When a hard drive clicks, ticks, or grinds it's a sure sign the drive is physically bad. It is very important the hard drive be turned off immediately. Leaving it on will eventually make all the data unrecoverable.

Clickings sounds are generally the result of bad heads being unable to calibrate with the media servo tracks, which makes the drive keep resetting. A grinding sound is usually the result of a head crash. As one of the more worse scenarios, if not turned off, will cause unrecoverable damage.

Don't risk losing your data! Don't bang on the drive or leave it running. Don't run software on it. Definitely don't put it in the freezer! (We hear people doing this all the time.) The drive should be turned off at the first sign of can noise.

Here

Do you have indexing service running?
Is the drive being indexed?
Does the drive have system restore enabled on it?

INdexing

Steevo said:
Do you have indexing service running?
Is the drive being indexed?
Does the drive have system restore enabled on it?

No to both. Thanks though.

-Wr@th

I, myself, would get a replacement. Even if it seems to work fine, it may eventually die early. Why waste your money, I wouldnt chance it.

Admiral Michael said:
I, myself, would get a replacement. Even if it seems to work fine, it may eventually die early. Why waste your money, I wouldnt chance it.

Good advice. Except for the fact that there's Nothing wrong with the drive, so replacing it would get me a newer drive that's still being accessed by windows every second, tick tick tick tick.....

-Wrath

That doesnt sound like windows reading the disk, that doesnt sound like a hdd loading at all(as much as I could hear) I would take it back. Even if YOU see no point in doing it, its a good idea. JUST IN CASE. Its the smart thing to do if you dont want it to crap out after warrenty is up.

zeke_mo said:
That doesnt sound like windows reading the disk, that doesnt sound like a hdd loading at all(as much as I could hear)

I agree, sounds more like a watch :p You absolutely sure its the hard drive? Cause to me it sounds like a clock.

Even if the drive is passing all the tests, it sounds like you need to get a replacement. If you have another HD handy or even if you can borrow one, install it without the WD Drive and see if you still get the ticking sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back