which is slave and master again?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
im at my folks place. Im just kinda in doubt. i already know the answer but im starting to doubt myself now. Which is the slave again. the slave would be the middle right? so its comp--->slave----->master? or is it comp---->master----->slave/?

make sure to check that your jumper settings match accordingly. the master is the one on the end of the cable, and the slave is in the middle. usually the master ending is black, and the slave ending is grey. but that is just on the cable, physically, the master drive could be below the slave drive. if you get extremely confused by this, put the jumper settings to cable select and it'll be ok.

the order is not the thing - it is the jumpers.

and they are usually marked on the box - IE the actual disc will have a mark saying M or S I would expect. I have generally made the Master the first from the computer, but I believe you can do it either way - the main thing is to have the jumpers right so that master SAYS it is master and slave SAYS it is slave, if you see?

Of course this all got a lot more confusing when some people said you had to call them PRIMARY and SECONDARY, because MASTER and SLAVE was racist, but that's another story....! ;)

thanks logicprism. i will check, i think my master is the end one.

Mainframeguy said:
Of course this all got a lot more confusing when some people said you had to call them PRIMARY and SECONDARY, because MASTER and SLAVE was racist, but that's another story....! ;)

isnt primary and secondary the settings on the mobo? e.g. like emm primary master is mainly hdd and secondary master is dvd-rom drive? so is it like master master? =\

Mainframeguy said:
the order is not the thing - it is the jumpers.
Not necessarily. If the HD's supports CS (Cable Select) You can set both drives to CS the master will be the last one on the cable. Otherwise if you set the drives to Primary/Secondary or Master/Slave, then Mainframeguy's correct, the cable postion'll mean didley squat. Finally its best to have CD/DVD drive on it's own cable, so 2 HD's on one cable to Main MOBO connector, 2 CD/DVD's on the other cable.

ok thx for input...so far my system works as it as..thx guys..=D

glad all is not fubar....

thanks for filling in the blanks A1e - I always forget about cable select, for some reason I don't feel I can trust that... maybe just because it is a "newer" thing, or maybe I am a technoe control phreak who has to dictate all the htiongs the system does (in which case I am probly a dinosaur.... then again look at my forum name,,. nuff said) :eek:

Easier

I just set my drives' jumpers to Cable Select. Then the master is the one at the end of your ide cable, and the slave is the second one on the cable. Position on the cable determines slave or master.

-Wrath

fantasi said:
isnt primary and secondary the settings on the mobo? e.g. like emm primary master is mainly hdd and secondary master is dvd-rom drive? so is it like master master? =\
No, primary and secondary are the different channels on the IDE bus (ie the two conntectors). Master is master because it decides who goes first on the bus. The slave has to wait its turn. So it's definately a bit racist or whatever you'd like to call it. ;) That's the general idea anyway, I'm not sure how the IDE bus does it in particular.

I never use cable select, never got it to work properly. I just set master or slave and then plug the cable which ever way it'll fit (in a big case, it's usually just on way). That always works. ;)

Zedric, I do know that and did not mean to add to any confusion for anyone else reading :oops: but thanks for clearing it all up so that the thread is more informative and less confusing - have a rep point or two.... Esp since you're also a folder and once told that sad story about the girl visiting....

Also someone did recently seriously want to find new terms instead of Master and Slave - how ridiculous an you get in the name of being pollitically correct? :)

Since the problem appears to be solved would anyone believe I thought this thread was about the Master (Jewellz) and the Slave (Xsiv)????:p :p :p

Hahaha, good one.
Also, I believe that in order for Cable Select to function properly, you need a special cable that has one of the pins (#28 I think...) left open. Also, this type of cable puts master in the middle of the cable, and not at the end like a standard cable.

But that might be outdated info. I think I remember reading that with the newer 80-conductor cables that they support the Cable Select feature, and have moved from setting the master at the middle to the end of the cable. (Reason, if you only have one drive, it should be connected on the end connector to prevent the signal from bouncing back -like SCSI's need for a terminator.)

However, if you want to use the 80-conductor cables, you need to have motherboard that supports this.

Sorry if I've confused you all.

Mainframeguy said:
Zedric, I do know that and did not mean to add to any confusion for anyone else reading :oops: but thanks for clearing it all up so that the thread is more informative and less confusing - have a rep point or two.... Esp since you're also a folder and once told that sad story about the girl visiting....
Thanks man. Oh btw, I had coffee with that girl the other day. So we're building a friendship at least. :)

I'm not using Cable Select and I don't like to bend the heck out of my IDE cables either and my case isn't a tower so not much room to work with.

I have both of my master devices on the middle grey connecter on both of my ATA133 cables (the connector in middle is grey and the end one is black).

Is this ok or will it cause a performance hit??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back