HDD with a clunk

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
Lately, it's been quite difficult for me to start my XP.Whenever I start the PC it will say 'read error' and cannot be started.This will take several times of restarting until it finally burst into life to start XP.I've done a fresh install and all hardwares checked for any hang loose.And when the system is shut off it goes off with a loud clunk. I've done SMART checks and ckhdsk with F but not results of disk dying.Is this a sign of the disk going away ?? What should I do next ??

the drive COULD be starting to fail. maybe it's just something that the program can't detect.

Been using it for a year now..let see...fromatted twice or maybe the third time I think..so what's the best solution ?? I don't mind changing the drive but what about the other partitions on the drive ? I mean will this affect them too ( other 3 partitions) or should I just delete the partition with the OS and reinstall in another partition ??

I say backup now. Sounds like there could be a bearing loose inside the drive. If the drive fails, you lose all three partitions.

Alright, might do it tonight when I get back home..I'll see if I could start it again...thanks

OKay..now done., switched the drive to slave but I've lost some partitions.How do I recover it back ? ( if possible ) Using ' disk management' it did said there is 76.3 GB on the disk but only the first partition ( 31 GB ) is visible..how to recover the rest ? Tried using Partition Magic to do it but it says ' bad parameters ' ....If I could only retrieve back all the files in there....

once it's lost, unless you have a lot of money for data recovery, forget it..

if you find a prog to do it, it is so time intensive to recover files, it's really not worth it.

the loud clunk means the heads are striking the backplate, meaning the drives on it's way out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back