StartClock - Released!

chaos945

OSNN Senior Addict
This thread is in regards to the Start Menu - Clock! thread I made previously to try and figureout exactly how to do it. Well after about a week of development on the VirtualPlastic boards we've made a version bug free enough to release! I give you the Start Menu clock, boys and girls.

This script can completly replace the current tray clock on the right hand side of your start menu bar by replacing the 'start' text with the current time. To access the date/time menu press CTRL+ALT+D, to exit the script press CTRL+ALT+X.

The source is included.

- BUGS -
* Some sizing issues regarding tool bars, and menu resizing still exist
* Button does not refresh as fast as it could, CPU load goes through the roof otherwise
(any help on these would be great!)

correction...

chaos945 said:
...exit the script press CTRL+ALT+E.

Errrr looked at the source - seems to be CTRL+ALT+X in the version you shipped! :p

Works though, I am using it at the moment.... but I have to say this should be a beta - it uses too much resource for what it is doing and also seems to send Explorer on a mission to use your CPU more than it ought. Needs reworking, but still - does what you wanted, so well done!

[EDIT] Although I left it running for a while it dropped out a minute or so ago without any CTR+ALT keystrokes :eek: not sure what may have caused it - guess this is something that needs implementing a slightly different way ideally, like the guy did it in AlphaV - that did not take resource and seemed to do the job OK, don't suppose he got back to you from your email?[/EDIT]

oh and one other thing I noticed - you don't check if more than one copy of the script is running... this is not hard to do, in fact technique is covered in FAQs on AutoIt and goes a bit like this:-
; Place at the top of your script
$g_szVersion = "My Script 1.1"
If WinExists($g_szVersion) Then Exit ; It's already running
AutoItWinSetTitle($g_szVersion)
; Rest of your script goes here

And if you want to reduce the script to manageable resource hogging and only need to have the time updated once a minute - just add a sleep(6000) to the main function.... That's what I did ;)

is it compatiable with things like visual styles bcoz i dont use stand windows theme

forcer said:
is it compatiable with things like visual styles bcoz i dont use stand windows theme

it is readily adaptable - here's the version I adapted to not hog resources, show only hh:mm (not secs) and to only run one copy - If you want to I do not thnk you'd have trouble running it, main thing is do you change size/placement of your start button I guess? Why not try it and see?

Attachments

• StartClock.zip
    79.1 KB · Views: 67
Seems cool.
Got any ideas for other features besides that. How about having a pin-menu item that renames itsself to be the time.
Not sure but it might be less on the CPU.
No real clue just thinking aloud LOL ;)

Mainframeguy said:
- here's the version I adapted -

Nice job, this is definitely beta yes, revision version we were sitting at was 0.52.

odd it is 5 minutes incorrect. Notification clock shows 17:48 Start clock shows 5:43

Lee said:
odd it is 5 minutes incorrect. Notification clock shows 17:48 Start clock shows 5:43

OOOPpps - forgot to compile after testing something - let me revisit my attachment (assuming I can edit)!!! If you look at the source you will see it exactly....

(Just testing really - to see if anyone used it.... ;) )
[EDIT] upload edit worked - should be right now if you wanted it without compiling source etc. [/EDIT]

Need a few more pixels for the text, some gets cut off.

Also why the AdLibEnable("ResizBtn", 10000) when it is sleeping for a long time anyways. Check out this new source, the pixels are fixed to show all hours properly as well as a tad bit faster refresh without hogging too much memory.

Changes:
Code:
AdLibEnable("ResizBtn", 0) 
Sleep(6000)
ControlMove("classname=Shell_TrayWnd", "", "Button1", -1, -1, 140)
ControlMove("classname=Shell_TrayWnd", "", "ReBarWindow321", 141, 0)

**same changes made in 1.02**

Give it a version number and I can post it (lol)
Also can you do a slightly larger screenshot, quarter of the desktop style :)

Okay then lets agree on the naming convensions, how about 1.01a for my last build, the second revision after the official one.

For anyone making their own builds 1.xxX being xx is the build revision and X a letter of your choice.

My latest revision 1.02, it is in the source, everyone making revisions just change it there please.

Code:
; Revision 1.02

Screenshot and a new icon. One built in, one for the dock, if you want. :D

My addin to restore the button

I wanted to restore the start button when exiting.
here is my au3 file with the changes. If you like it then I will let you compile to release it.

Attachments

• SC_Source.zip
    860 bytes · Views: 50
Wicked!!! Best Clock I've seen! Am using it now and going to tell everyone to use it!!!

There are some pretty significant revisions this time round. I am quite pleased with myself for getting the time delay stuff all fixed up!

- CHANGES -
* fixed refresh when starting the script
* fixed refresh issues when adjusting the menu bar
* cleaned up the code
* minor graphical changes
* fixed time delay issues!!!
* resolves memory issues
* time consistency
* added dialog for running more than one instance of the script

- BUGS -
* taskbar is not adjusting properly near the end

http://www.geocities.com/chaos945/Files/StartClock_1.04.zip

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back