hdd Bad Sectors

A

aerox

hy ppl

can someone tell me if are out there more progs like hdd regenerator that can fix Bad Sectors, i have been searching and nothing.

hdd regenerator is good, but takes so much time to fix it.

thX:cool:

You can't fix bad sectors. All you can do is mark them as bad in the low level format so they don't get used. Low level format takes a long time.

You should not have to redo a low level format unless you physically damage the disk, which means a sudden shock while it is accessing. Disks park the heads over an unused area when shutting down so shocks in transport don't damage the used area.

The other reason for getting extra bad sectors would be the disk is dying on you or you have a controller/cable problem.

Holy Thread resurection Batman!!

Can anyone tell Robin (or even MFG) if they also have used the HDD Regenerator utility?

I am running it through on my 120GB Maxtor ATM and this is on my XP3000+ machine with 1GB RAM and I started the floppy off about 24 hours ago....

it is presently showing 72 odd GB done and about 7k Sectors repaired. My only concern might be that I know it is logging it's work to the floppy, and I am wondering if anyone has ever found what happens when that log fills up! Also if anyone has any experience of how much longer this can run! I am truly amazed at the length of time taken - although unconcerned - it could take a week if it wanted - what matters to me is if it does a good enough job for me to take a backup of my data dir from the HD.

Look forward to hearing back - if there are any users out there... seems like my forum searching on a couple of issues I have had lately are leading to some historic resurrections - hope no one minds... :)

aerox said:
hy ppl

can someone tell me if are out there more progs like hdd regenerator that can fix Bad Sectors, i have been searching and nothing.

hdd regenerator is good, but takes so much time to fix it.

thX:cool:

Use Spinrite 6 from grc.com

Funny that - Lord just shoved such a CD at me with that on it! This machine I like to keep up and running for my work configuraiton during the week - but if I am not working this weekend (would be nice, I was last!) then I may shove it in and give it a spin - will report back if I do, but ATM my SMART is not failing the drive and TrueImage could back it up (with one prompt for a retry) - only problem left was DriveImage failed so to do...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back