Who Can Recompile A Vm Os?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
here's what would make the most sense, and what I believe will be the next great os...I don't think long horn will be much greater then xp

I believe that in the very near future, the harddrive will be used for the sole purpose of repopulating it's entire contents into a ram disc, to the point where it would also be designed as virtual memory system for those that would need even more of a ram disc then the current technology would be able to provide.

for instance, a 20 gig harddrive will also have a twenty gig ram disc.

the harddrive, on boot, will repopulate the twenty gig ramdisc...but it would also be set up to use it's contents as the virtual (in this case, actual) address for the just incase scenario that ram need exceeds what's iinstalled.

I think this is virtually (a play on words), what xp is trying to accomplish...assign as much ram as possible, and at the same time, have it available for more immediate use (release) when neccessary...(for instance, in the case of compressed files)

xp will write info that is in ram to the pagefile long before it's needed and used, so as to make a hard fault seemless.

so, when ram does becomes 10 gig or twenty gig abundant, which it is now, isn't it...it won't take much in design innovation to go this extra step of unloading the entire contents, if the hardrive, or whatever can fit of it, into the ram disc.

for experiment, we should start this at say 5 gig hard drive, 5 gig ram disc.

use the vm model

and then, will be able to release more and more in terms of the ram compatible os, and thus, move our marketing strategy along those lines

I think some of you can have a working model in a week or two

we will all be partners

whatcha think?

what so you mean a hdd drive mirrored onto a solid state disk:huh:

and this mirror would be the disc you run off of...

this would represent the working model, hoewver, the actual os would be a little more sophisticated.

for instance, as you work, the hardrive will be required to store your new work, and so provide this security, and integrity of the new and old work.

cool

but to begin, we could just run off of the mirror

put this thread on sticky we may have summin of substance here:happy:

so what do you want us for then...:)

that idea is so good its gotta be illegal

what you wanna know if theres an OS or a Harddrive that does this shiat

I'm not gonna sticky my own idea

also, I don't know enough about code to know if this idea has any merit.

if it does, someone else will sticky, and I'll invite some heavyweights to come down and contribute

Re: Re: Who Can Recompile A Vm Os?

Originally posted by dealer
and this mirror would be the disc you run off of...

this would represent the working model, hoewver, the actual os would be a little more sophisticated.

for instance, as you work, the hardrive will be required to store your new work, and so provide this security, and integrity of the new and old work.

cool

but to begin, we could just run off of the mirror

hey mate i could only read your full post by quoteing it (good thing i quoted then);)

...but wouldnt it be easier just to have a solid state disk then you have access times that are phenominal plus no hdd aswell. and it would still hold data same as a magnetic disk.

or are you saying for example a 5gb ramdisk to hold recently accessed data from a 20gb hdd. wouldnt that be a cache:confused:

Originally posted by dealer
I'm not gonna sticky my own idea

also, I don't know enough about code to know if this idea has any merit.

if it does, someone else will sticky, and I'll invite some heavyweights to come down and contribute

...just keep it opensource:D

lets see what the rest of the gang have to say:blink:

Re: Re: Re: Who Can Recompile A Vm Os?

Originally posted by XP Abuser
hey mate i could only read your full post by quoteing it (good thing i quoted then);)

...but wouldnt it be easier just to have a solid state disk then you have access times that are phenominal plus no hdd aswell. and it would still hold data same as a magnetic disk.

or are you saying for example a 5gb ramdisk to hold recently accessed data from a 20gb hdd. wouldnt that be a cache:confused:

you are going to need a hardrive...to repopulate and protect the solid state memory.

it will work completely in the backround...it would not slow the solid state up one bit.

the hardrive could even be on line, in another room, part of a network, etc.

it's work would only affect the cpu cycles

ahha

finally a good use for a dually

If it's solid state, it's solid state. It won't dissappear if the power is lost. So why on earth have a slow, noice hdd as well? And if you mean it is lost at power fail, everything needs to written to the hdd on the fly anyway so it won't be faster.

And copying 10 or 20 gigs into RAM at startup takes... um... well, ages!

I don't really see what you're getting at here, but maybe I'm too tired. ;)

copying to the ahrdrive is in the backround, and seemless.

it won't take any time at all, since you are working with ram, and whatever is written to the hardrive is in que...the ourpose is to have everything you are and possibly can be working already in ram.

as far a a noisy harrive.

no, the hardrive will be only as noisy as what we have already, so nothing is lost as far as this convieninience.

in addition, as I said, the hardrive can be off the box, and in another room if you like...the noise is not an issue, it's the speed of the os we're talking about.

no speed whatsoever will be lost by the on the fly backup nature the hardrive will present, as all of that is as I said, qued, and not in time sinc with the faster frive

I think he means when the computer is turned on the OS is loaded into a ramdrive from the HDD after that point the HDD is only acessed to update the image of the OS when saves are made. or something new is installed.then the next time the computer is started the new updated image on the HDD is loaded into the ramdrive and with serial ATA around the corner I don't see a 20 gig HDD taking THAT long to load into the ramdriveand besides it could be setup to only put windows on the ramdrive to begin with and cache the rest of the HDD into the ram over the next few minutes while say you connect to the internet and check your mail or something. or as you call up a program it can bring it over to the ramdrive and leave it there after your done useing it. so you will have pretty much instant access next time you launch the program the same thing with games you call the program up then after the initial cache the the ramdrive your load times in game would be cut WAY down and then if you relaunched the game you wouldn't have to wait for it to be recached and would enjoy the full benitfits of the speed of the ramdrive.

exactly krux

in addition, you wouldn't need to wait for the hardrive to repopulate.

you could run as soon as the os were booted from the ram drive, and then the switch would be made to the other drive automatically, and as soon as possible.

this would not be a neccessary feature of our working model.

but like the other guy said load time might get exsesive after awhile, I think serial ATA would cut them down but still if you had 20 gigs of stuff installed on your system I think my idea would prolly work beter for most people or the ones that just want to get right into windows and not wait 10 minutes to load everything into the ramdrive, also I think a network boot would be alot slower then a normal one unless you have 100/1000 nic card cuzz I don't see great load times off a 10/100 one takes about 3 or 4 minutes to move 600 megs at that speed.

just some thoughts ;)

20*1024 = 20480

20480 / 150 = 136.5

136.5 / 60 = 2.275

so if you actually got 150MB/s constant output from the hard drive it would take you around 2 minutes to copy everything across.

The main thing I would love to see would be a system where it wouldnt need to reboot after say driver installs. I would love to see a way where the old driver was unloaded and the new one is loaded, but without having to reboot.

Just make the harddrive cache bigger, so that way its faster, and get rid of all the bottlenecks of IDE, and get a bigger pipe to the HD, and were all set, running from memory is useless, since ROM gets deleted once you shutdown, and having it done in the background means its more a cache than where a system runs from.

The main thing I would love to see would be a system where it wouldnt need to reboot after say driver installs. I would love to see a way where the old driver was unloaded and the new one is loaded, but without having to reboot.

yeh F**cking drivers alway destroy my Longest Uptime Record and my FTP.:mad:

But looking at the response not too many people have grasped dealers concept

Originally posted by X-Istence
Just make the harddrive cache bigger, so that way its faster, and get rid of all the bottlenecks of IDE, and get a bigger pipe to the HD, and were all set, running from memory is useless, since ROM gets deleted once you shutdown, and having it done in the background means its more a cache than where a system runs from.

BTW dont you mean RAM - ROM is exactly what he needs, xistence thats what i thought just have a humungous cache of recently accessed data 5gig should be sufficient

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back