How to sysprep XP Pro and create WDS image?

ScottFern

IT guy
Ok, I have recently installed Windows Server 2003 SP2 and I have setup WDS on my support server. I have copied over the boot.wim image and I can get into the Windows Boot Manager, however I am having issues with preping the XP Pro image to be captured correctly.

I already tried once and when I imaged the machine with my newly created XP Pro image and booted into XP the mini-setup screen came up for 2 seconds and then I get this error "The system is not fully installed. Please reboot."

Now I know I am missing an extra step that is probably required to sysprep XP Pro with WDS. Any clue what I may have missed?

I did a reseal the first time I made the image.

I am not sure if many of you know this but there is a conflict when Syspreping a machine and that machine having WMP11 installed on it. I guess you have to uninstall it to get Sysprep to work correctly.

Why do I always answer my own questions on this forum? lol

Good info - never knew about this one before (reps+)

If you wanted more info, Microsoft has a KB Article about it.. including a rather convoluted workaround.

Yes, I just wanted to update and say I have now officially tried syspreping withOUT WMP11 and it indeed works just fine now!

I am off to create 2 more images for our workstations! I am loving WDS!

Thanks for the recommendation! I definitely need to start reading multiple books on Windows Administration including imaging, MCSA among others!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back