The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

OK so I got my phone and set it up yesterday. Haven't had a great deal of time to play just yet, but already I have a few things I love about it....

• It is soooo much faster. Even the initial sync where you are downloading a TON of stuff (depending on how far back you go with e-mail/calendar), took less than a minute! I remember it took 3-5 on the 8125 :eek:
  • I have made 3 phone calls, and the clarity and even speaker is much improved!
  • I agree with Matt how the power button will take a little getting used to, rather odd change IMO.
  • I can't really put it into words, but having it in my hand just feels better than the 8125 did. They are relatively the same shape, but this one just feels "nicer".
  • The backlighting is a HUGE improvement - some of the keys have been moved (most noticebly the numbers) but are very easy to find.
I can put up more about it when I have a chance to use it, but the speed differences are amazing :D

Anyone tried the Opera mini-browser on the i-mate k-jam (WM5) instead of IE (posted on front page)? is it worth the change? IE works fine form me at the moment.

Cheers,
Elroy

Anyone tried the Opera mini-browser on the i-mate k-jam (WM5) instead of IE (posted on front page)? is it worth the change? IE works fine form me at the moment.

Cheers,
Elroy
Haven't tried it out myself. I had a mobile version of Opera on my old Symbian-based Nokia smartphone, and that was pretty good. I believe Opera's small-screen rendering is better than Pocket IE's.

Has anyone else been using the Windows Live Search for Mobile beta that was released a few weeks ago? Just blogged about it earlier today. You guys should definitely check it out if you haven't already. :)

on your post I decided to try it even though I have gps.

this app is really smooth, really fast.

the interface needs some help though, I don't understand why you have to find your first address before you can type in the next, you should be able to type in both and then find

also, even though I have the traffic button clicked, I see no traffic report

Derek, do you have a problem with your 8525 disabling Bluetooth randomly?

He got the 8525 alredy!!?!?!

Wow
I was gonna buy his 8125, but 300+ is too pricey for me.

I had the 8525 the day it came out. Derek was jealous and ran out two weeks later. [=

Derek, do you have a problem with your 8525 disabling Bluetooth randomly?
I did for a little while. I never really was using it and then all of the suddent it went on a spazz attack. I think I deleted/disabled the connection because I had no plans to use it, can't quite remember really.

Then again, it's rather early and I'm hungover, so take nothing I say seriously :smoker: :p

So, apparently a pre-release Crossbow (WM 5.2) ROM has leaked onto the web.
I'm not planning on installing anything other than an official final release on my Wizard, but it's nice to read about people's experiences with it so far. :)

I had a chance to play with it when I was in Redmond last year, and while it's not a huge jump from WM 5.0, there are some really nice improvements all around.

Last edited:
Are WM software free to upgrade?
Microsoft doesn't release new WM versions or updates directly to device owners. Once the OS RTMs, carriers receive the ROMs, so it's up to them to release it to their customers. Crossbow includes a new component similar to Windows Update though, so we might see future updates coming directly from MS over-the-air.

As I said, Crossbow isn't significantly different from Magneto (WM 5.0), and I've personally seen it running on a Wizard and a number of other current-gen HTC devices. So it's definitely possible to get a free upgrade, at least from 5.0 to 5.2.

Photon (the "real" WM 6.0) is supposed to be a pretty significant step-up, so that might need new hardware, but it's too early to know for sure at this point.

Thanks for info, NR. :up:
Will check the O2 Orbit website to see if they got anything.

Thanks for info, NR. :up:
Will check the O2 Orbit website to see if they got anything.
I don't think you'll find anything there just yet. :)

This leak is a pre-release build, and Microsoft's already asked a few big sites to take down any files/links (you can still find them if you really want to). I'm not sure how close they are to a final release though...I'll try to find out.

It also usually takes a few weeks before carriers release updates after they receive them, since they have to build the extended ROM with all the carrier-specific customizations/settings, and test everything out on the network.

um, I've got a poblum with ma WM. It won't sync/connect with PC, and TomTom software on PC keeps telling me to connect the device to USB and turn it on.
I think it only started happening today (since I've not connected it since last week). I connect the USB cable and the green swirly thing on ActivSync spins but does not connect.

I've tried soft reset already and I don't want to do a hard reset as it'll clear all my personal data (ie. call logs etc).

Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back