7900 GT freezes in 3D games

You could do things with trial and error.

The first thing I would consider is perhaps your psu is not pushing enough to feed all your components.

Can you post teh amps for the 12v rail on your psu?

Also, does your system have these shutoffs while just running regular 2-d stuff? And what other noises/symptoms can you hear.

If the card is starting to artifact, that is not a good sign but you should still be covered under warranty.

Further, do you have anything oc'd in your system at all? Or is everything running at stock clocks?

All answer these as i find em out, im goignt o my mates tomorow to try and sort this out.

Its factory overclocked, it has frozen in 2-d but not when i reformatted, ill give starcraft a run to check if its ok in 2d games, not really any noices except for the hdd noise i heard but it hasnt happend since...ill try checking the 12v rail as well.

More answers soon saz!!!

update: i looked at the bios, and all i can find about 12.0V rail is in pc health status(phoenix BIOS), (cant do plus on this keboard :s) PLUS12.0V which is running at 11.91V which sometimes drops to 11.85

Last edited:
Just look at the psu side, it should have the rails (i.e 12v or 3v or whatever).

I just want you to post the number of amps on the 12v rail.

It SHOULD be over 18A, for a no-nameish psu, it should be well higher.

Ok, just an fyi, min recommended for an a64 proc is 18A on the 12v rail. You are pushing not only an a64 but also a hefty card and that psu is what I would say is tripping the system.

Get a new psu before you kill something in your rig. Dirty power can cause issues to the hardware. Turn it off and just get a new psu.

If the problems persist, I would still keep the new psu and we can check other potential problems.

Yeh i knew, 15 quid is basically, what 30 dollars! ahah i knew i should have got a good PSU i know your always saying so:)

Ok ill get a new psu, gotta do some tests. Thanks for the help, ill get back to you tommorow...gotta revise for stupid maths exam at uni...you dont know anything about propositional calculus do you? :dead:

I'm about 6 years out of practise :smoker:

I spend my days making fun of EP and Matt now lol.

Dudes if you interested, something frickin sweet happend.

Went to mates house, put card in his pc, BAM IT STARTED SMOKING!!!!:dead:

lol im joking, it worked perfectly and the graphics were uber, his PSU was 450 WATTS as well but had 20 amps on the 12V rail.

Looks like a new psu for me, prob wil get an antec or something

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=386404 ????????

Last edited:
The Hiper looks ok. ATX V2.2, (2) +12V rails (20A and 18A respectively), low rpm 120 MM fan for quiet.

Note it says SLI ready, not SLI Certified which means it has SLI connectors but that Nvidia has not tested and approved it.

It will probably work with SLI it just hasn't been "blessed" by Nvidia. The combined 38A on the 12V is good.

BTW About that picture... :speechless:

Well i bought that hiper type r modular PSU, unfortunately im still having the same problems in my own pc, whereas it was fine at my friends.

Something i have noticed is that games do not automatically detect the best settings and instead set them to the lowest settings, on my friends PC the settings in oblivion were auto detected as Ultra High. However on my pc it says "hardware not recognised", setting to meduim settings.

Reformat and reinstall everything would be the best software solution.

As far as the hardware is concerned, perhaps there was some damage caused by the crappy psu you had before?

I did reformat, already ruled that out.

Well the graphics card is fine, we played a million games for ages and not a single hitch at all.

I could try some spare ram first of all to see how that goes.

Should i try cpu burn in?

UPDATE!1111!11: and so this mighty tale comes to an end, i swapped out the ram with my other pc and it works fine. YEY!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back