Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost an hour to install eh? And I'm guessing that's with the 4,200rpm laptop drive. Not bad, but still plenty of room for improvement. Perf tuning should be picking up pace from this point on, now that the build is feature-complete. We'll have to see how long it takes for the next CTP to install. I'm still hoping for under 30 mins on the RTM build at least.

This is the first build that I'm planning to install on my desktop (dual boot, of course). Still debating on whether I should resize the existing partitions or just pick up a new drive. :D

I'm gonna install in the separate 40 gig drive I have. Unfortunately I have to wait until at least tomorrow to get my dl link and key and whatnot :(

So can anybody answer me this time, whether or not this version will install on to my SATA drive? If they havent begun to support my drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 10 using VIA RAID driver) then I wont even bother getting this release ....my laptop barely ran 5270 and it killed the experience big time.

uuh.... you shouldn't have a problem installing to a single SATA drive unless SATA RAID is enabled in your BIOS. i had trouble getting XP to install on my SATA drive at first.... turns out the BIOS thought that even though i only had one drive connected, that i was using a RAID array of some sort, and was causin all kinds of problems when i tried to install.... saying that my drive was not detected and stuff like that.

Ok this is news with me.. the only driver I know I can use to enable my SATA drive is the VIA RAID driver that came on the driver disk from the ASUS motherboard. If I disable RAID, it wont even boot because the BIOS cant find the harddrive.

Depends on the motherboard. My SATA drives can be recognised as individual drives - I tell it to load them into an array in the bios.

A single SATA drive would have to operate this way.

There is a secondary BIOS where I define what configuration my RAID array is. Except I only have one drive so it automatically configures it accordingly. Can't exactly figure out how to let it recognize the drive without that BIOS....

:( Sadtime

GEN3RIC said:
wwwdjrcs,
I think you owe me a PM sucka.:laugh:

how how how!?
I don't know what you are talking about :rolleyes: :p

Download is 43 minutes from finishing :cool:

Ok, first few observations.

I intalled Vista on my Dell Latitude D600, a device that Dell is still very commited to supporting, unfortunatly it has a Mobility 9000 Radeon in it which ATI are shunning with their Vista drivers, which according to posts I found with Google on Driverheaven.net the only solution would be to upgrade my graphics card (hello? Mobility was a clue as to why I can't do that?). Well Google, this one is for you.

If you want the ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 to work in Vista you need to manually increase your resolution to at least 800x600 (so you can see what you are doing) and then manually change the driver to 9000 Series and reboot. It shouldn't work and I almost felt it wouldn't - ignore all warnings - it works. the only issue occurs when you first get in and it doesn't seem like anything is happening. But then you realise its just a resolution issue. Change to 800x600 and then back up again (or mess around until it resolves). You won't get the aero effect going on rather the metal effect.

Nice to see Media Center in there, although to be honest I rarely use it, I tried to connect it to my Xbox 360 and for a few moments it looked like it was going to work. Alas no. Perhaps in the Consumer CTP (the same one that marks the end of the beta 2 process, while not actually being beta2 - confused?)

Media Player is looking alot nicer and for the first time I was able to experience sound on my home Vista machine, choosing to check out royksopp - The Understanding. Library was nice and fast, but then I had one album in it.

Speed is quite sluggish on my laptop, but I had never tried it before, so it is hard to tell if there has been an improvement, although I know that there will be improvements in speed now the product is feature complete. I have still lots of testing to do and still actually ahve to install it on my main rig.

Why have'nt I done it yet? Lazy and my main rig is another room. Plus I wanted to talk about the install process as it was happening. Also the NVIDIA drivers have been pretty dismal so far - you get the Aero effect but the windows have been very sluggish. I talked to NVIDIA a while ago and they stated that their wouldn't be another release of drivers (they did release drivers just after the first CTP arrived) until beta 2... well thankfully due to all the confusion and the fact that we are in the beta 2 phase (aren't we?) it looks like NVIDIA will be releasing new drivers today.

They have not been released yet, to me or the public, but I can tell you that they will be at least version 87.15 ad should be much improved. (also a hell of alot newer than the current WindowsXP versions)

More later ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back