Windows Vista Build 5270 (Dec CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
legodude83089 said:
Does this installation normally takes up 9 GB or is it just my hard drive? I installed Vista on a 9.5GB hard drive and after I formatted and installed I had 16 MB left of free space, which gets annoying when trying to put drivers on the thing.
It does take up quite a bit of space, but not 9 GB on my system.

The beta builds have been installing files outside the normal Windows, Users and Program Files folders. There are some additional folders like build, InstalledRepository and packages. The build folder takes up a couple of gigs of space, and we've been trying to find out if these will remain in the final product. Haven't received a definitive answer yet, but I hope they're just temporary.

As it seems to have been missed above from the link, here is the quick text on how to turn off UAP...

Just fire up regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, and change EnableLUA to 0.

However, at the same time I should point to this article http://bink.nu/Article5707.bink which explains why you should NOT turn off UAP, and also talks about the new name, UAC (User Account Control)

NetRyder said:
By the way, if you want to have a bit of fun with Aero, add this reg key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DWM
Add a DWORD value under that called "AnimationsShiftKey" and set the value to 1.

Restart the User Experience Session Management Service, and click the window minimize/close button with the Shift key held down. Hmmm... ;)

OMFG :eek:!!! Now that's a yummy effect indeed...You think there's a reg key we can add so it will take the amount we specify to minimize/close?

As for the Omegas, how did you extract the from the installer? Everytime I try to do it, it just runs the installer anyways, even if I try extracting them from the command line.

apu95 said:
OMFG :eek:!!! Now that's a yummy effect indeed...You think there's a reg key we can add so it will take the amount we specify to minimize/close?
:)

That reg key affects all window animations, by the way. Try it for Flip3D too. Open up a few windows, hit Winkey+Tab, hold down the Shift key and use the up/down arrow keys to flip through the deck. Then, keeping the Shift key held down, hit Enter to bring the front window back in focus.

There is no reg key to affect the speed of the effect though.

apu95 said:
As for the Omegas, how did you extract the from the installer? Everytime I try to do it, it just runs the installer anyways, even if I try extracting them from the command line.
Did you try letting the installer run to completion? That could work too. If it doesn't, it'll still leave the extracted files in the folder that you specified before the installer kicks in, so just use Device Manager to update the driver again.

kcnychief said:
As it seems to have been missed above from the link, here is the quick text on how to turn off UAP...

However, at the same time I should point to this article http://bink.nu/Article5707.bink which explains why you should NOT turn off UAP, and also talks about the new name, UAC (User Account Control)
This is the first released build where UAC is actually useable, although the prompts admittedly come up a bit too frequently. In earlier builds, I had to turn it off because it was so raw that the consent UI wouldn't come up when required, making certain tasks, in short, impossible.

I've left UAC on since I installed this build the day after it was released, and it's not actually blocked anything legitimate from installing or running, which is a really good sign. It's clearly evident that the consent UI is still a work in progress, and I'm sure the whole thing is going to be fine-tuned so that the user is prompted for consent or privilege elevation less frequently.

regardless of how it is fine-tuned, they should work on making it tougher to turn off as well :eek:

NetRyder said:
Did you try letting the installer run to completion? That could work too. If it doesn't, it'll still leave the extracted files in the folder that you specified before the installer kicks in, so just use Device Manager to update the driver again.

I tried that as well, it gave me the message saying that it didn't detect being installed in a WinXP SP2 or Win 2K system, yadda yadda. I proceeded and it start to install, but it got stuck extracting the data1.cab file. I'm gonna try it again and leave it running after to see if anything changes.

kcnychief said:
regardless of how it is fine-tuned, they should work on making it tougher to turn off as well :eek:
You can put as many security measures in place, but you can never make anything idiot-proof. ;)
If it becomes too cumbersome to disable, people who really want it off will just start using the built-in Administrator account to login instead. That's the only account on the system that's unaffected by UAC, giving the user complete control over the system with no safety net.

apu95 said:
I tried that as well, it gave me the message saying that it didn't detect being installed in a WinXP SP2 or Win 2K system, yadda yadda. I proceeded and it start to install, but it got stuck extracting the data1.cab file. I'm gonna try it again and leave it running after to see if anything changes.
I don't have a copy of the installer on hand at the moment, but if it doesn't work, try extracting it by opening the file using WinRAR. It's worked for me on several other driver installer packages before.

NetRyder said:
You can put as many security measures in place, but you can never make anything idiot-proof. ;)
If it becomes too cumbersome to disable, people who really want it off will just start using the built-in Administrator account to login instead. That's the only account on the system that's unaffected by UAC, giving the user complete control over the system with no safety net.

Good point, let's just hope people don't do it or the whole puprose of the technology goes down the pooper :suprised:

Just saw this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=80369
Thought I'd post a screenshot of the preliminary per-app volume control panel in this build. Notice how I can mute only MSN Messenger so that the notification sounds don't interrupt other sounds that take precedence, like music playing in WMP, for example. :)

perappvol8co.png

NetRyder said:
I don't have a copy of the installer on hand at the moment, but if it doesn't work, try extracting it by opening the file using WinRAR. It's worked for me on several other driver installer packages before.

I tried that too, WinRAR won't open it :(. I'm gonna leave it running for now, see how it goes. If not I'll just update the drivers on my XP system, seeing as how I haven't done that in a while, and I'll get them off that.

I love the individual volume thing, really useful for recording stuff and managing multiple volume levels at the same time.

kcnychief said:
Good point, let's just hope people don't do it or the whole puprose of the technology goes down the pooper :suprised:
True, but looking at it from the other side, if the consent UI pops up too often, users will get habituated into clicking "Permit" (or entering credentials) without thinking, again defeating the purpose of having the system in place.

The key is to bring up the consent UI only when it's absolutely necessary. The question is how low that frequency can be without putting the system at risk, and that's the challenge.

In the end, the fact of the matter is that we're going to have to get used to this minor annoyance. It's long overdue. UNIX-based systems have had privilege-elevation for the longest time, and it's one of the most effective ways to prevent rogue processes from installing themselves without the user's knowledge and causing damage to the core system. Linux and OS X users are already used to it. Time for us to accept it as one of those "necessary evils" too.

OS X Authenticate Dialog and Linux sudo dialog:

UPDD%20Mac%20X%20User%20Guide_files%5Cauthenticate.jpg
3_sudo_passwd_dialog.png

Vista Consent UI (preliminary - Protected Admin):

5270_ConsentUI.png

The album stack view is sexy.

Is the Superfetch via USB key functional in this build?

Can we get screenshots of Windows Mail and IE7? Perhaps more screens of WMP11? :p

Grandmaster said:
The album stack view is sexy.

Can we get screenshots of Windows Mail and IE7? Perhaps more screens of WMP11? :p
Yes, yes, and yes. Requests will be fulfilled after I finish lunch. :D

NetRyder said:
True, but looking at it from the other side, if the consent UI pops up too often, users will get habituated into clicking "Permit" (or entering credentials) without thinking, again defeating the purpose of having the system in place.

The key is to bring up the consent UI only when it's absolutely necessary. The question is how low that frequency can be without putting the system at risk, and that's the challenge.

In the end, the fact of the matter is that we're going to have to get used to this minor annoyance. It's long overdue. UNIX-based systems have had privilege-elevation for the longest time, and it's one of the most effective ways to prevent rogue processes from installing themselves without the user's knowledge and causing damage to the core system. Linux and OS X users are already used to it. Time for us to accept it as one of those "necessary evils" too.

OS X Authenticate Dialog and Linux sudo dialog:

UPDD%20Mac%20X%20User%20Guide_files%5Cauthenticate.jpg
3_sudo_passwd_dialog.png

Vista Consent UI (preliminary - Protected Admin):

5270_ConsentUI.png

I have nothing to say except those screenshots are totally sexy. Man I cant wait to get my hands on the next public beta :(

Keep up the good work NetRyder :)

Also, how is the spam filtering on Windows Mail- have you had a time to play with it?

Grandmaster, here are some screenshots of Windows Mail and IE 7. Is there any particular part or feature you want to see?

kcnychief said:
Also, how is the spam filtering on Windows Mail- have you had a time to play with it?
I've only been using Windows Mail to access the beta newsgroups, so I haven't had a chance to try the junk mail filter yet, but from the looks of it, it should work exactly like the Outlook 2003 filter. The menus and options dialog are almost identical (see below).

Windows Mail

mail9db.png

Windows Mail - Junk Mail Settings

mailjunk4ff.png

Internet Explorer 7

ie71wa.png

Internet Explorer 7 - Quick Tabs

quicktabs4ic.png

Grandmaster said:
Perhaps more screens of WMP11? :p
Here we go. Another view of the library:

wmp11songs9ux.png

WMP11 Sync screen with Zen Micro plugged in:

wmp11zen4dz.png

WMP11 Sync screen with 128 MB USB flash drive plugged in: :eek:

wmpremovable3aq.png

Grandmaster said:

superfetch1lp.png

:)

Last edited:
Other miscellaneous stuff...

Mobility Center - a dashboard of sorts for portable machines:

mobility1nc.png

Sync Engine - built-in file/folder synchronization between machines:

sync7wy.png

Network Center - network map/visualization and diagnostics:

network5wo.png

Memory Diagnostic Tool:

memdiag6kh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back