Unable to uncheck "Use only default devices"

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I have a workstation here that is a Dell OptiPlex 170L. The user called my and said no sound. I go to check things out. She wasn't lying. No sound.

The first thing I noticed from "Sound and Audio Devices Propterties" is that "Use only default devices" is checked and that the the selections for "MIDI music playback" and "Voice playback" are left empty.

I proceed to uncheck the box for "Use only default devices" and fill in selections for each of the other two items. You would think that would work.

I click Apply and then OK. Still nothing. I go back in and check to see what's going on and it's in the same state it was before I sat down ("Use only default devices" is checked and "MIDI music playback" and "Voice playback" are empty).

So I uninstall the drivers (SoundMAX) and reboot. I reinstall the drivers and the same thing happens.

I opened up the case and checked all the wiring out (all good on that front).

It doesn't matter what I try to get the settings to stay, they won't. I am unable to play the sounds from "Sound and Audio Devices Propterties", Sounds tab.

Any ideas?

Is your Device Manager blank? Also, try this..

• Go to start, run, type “services.msc” and verify that Plug and Play service is set to Automatic and is started
  • Edit the registry:
    • HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM and verify that the SYSTEM user account has full control permissions on this key in order for the Device Manager to list all the devices in the window.
  • This Registry entry can also effect driver permissions to devices. If SYSTEM does not have priveleges it needs, adjust and then reboot.

No, every thing else is correct (including both of those suggestions). I am just unable to setup the audio correctly because I can't uncheck "Use only default devices".

Just out of curiosity, what OS is the client running? XP Home, Pro, or 2K?

EDIT: I think I may be onto something, but before I make a fool of myself, I want to know the OS :)

Windows XP Professional.

Dell is telling me that the motherboard is bad and that it needs to be replaced. However, the warranty is up. Go figure.

For some reason I don't believe he is right. It doesn't make sense that if the motherboard was bad I couldn't uncheck that box and restore the settings. If the motherboard was bad then I could uncheck that box and put the settings in correctly and just not have sound. Some sound works, some don't.

Have you checked the Bios to see if the sound device is still recognized?

When you unchecked “use only default devices” and clicked apply did you reboot? (In the past I have messed with that setting and had to reboot for it to stick).

Have you ran the sound test with “dxdiag” sound tab “test directsound” if so was there an error?

If there is an error the sound device may have died or is dying.

What sounds will it not play all windows sounds and no CD’s or just some sounds?

Sounds play fine through WMP.

I'll try your other suggestions.

Dell Support still insists I need a new motherboard. I called him an idiot. But he didn't speak English very well so he probably didn't understand.

Another thing I just thought of.

"Control panel/sounds and audio devices/sound tab/ Sound Scheme" what is listed in that box "No sound or Windows default"

You could also check "C/windows/media" see if the sounds are there and play. That file may be corrupt? or something. I think they show play with WMP and if clicked on will play with WMP.

I have in the past copied my sounds to another directory "file I setup for sounds only" to trouble shoot and they worked fine so I left them there safe on another partition.

Dell is Silly I can't see the motherboard as the cause of the problem thats funny.

The Sound Scheme is set to Windows Default. However, they will not play from that tab. If I open WMP I am able to play any sound I choose including the sounds from the sound scheme.

I don't what to make of the situation because it doesn't make sense. If I were able to uncheck that box and set the properties correctly I bet it would work.

I think your right so when you uncheck the box before anything else is done reboot and lets hope it's still unchecked after startup.

Thought of something else this morning.

Under “services” check “windows Audio” it should be started and set to “Automatic” if its not windows sounds will not play.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue as madmatt, and have tried all the solutions listed and nothing seems to work.

Here is some info about my setup:
Hardware:
Windows XP Pro
SoundMax Integrated Audio - Uninstalled and Disabled in Bios
Creative Soundblaster Live - Installed with no errors or conflicts

Problems:
1. Cannot uncheck "Use Default Devices"
2. MIDI music playback = Blank (there are choices (SB Live), but they won't save)
3. Voice Playback = Blank (there are choices (SB Live), but they won't save)
4. Will not play .MIDI or .WAV files
5. Cannot preview windows sounds
6. No volume control in the taskbar

I have tried using both sound cards and both have the same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, unchecked, restarted, and still nothing.

Please help...

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Anybody figure out the solution? I have a Creative Audigy sound card and tried everything posted but nothing helped. The funny thing is before I created a new WinXP partition (original WinXP won't even boot up) on my harddrive I could hear the midi sounds that appear mute now. I'm thinking this has to be the problem but I don't know what to do to fix it.

Take a look in device manager click the plus sign at “sound, video and game controllers” right click whatever your sound device is.

Yours may show “Creative ?” series (WDM) then properties/properties tab click the plus at “Midi devices and instruments” click to highlight what shows there “Creative?” then click properties at bottom right.

See what is checked there it may be set to “Do not use Midi features on this device”.

Also while there click the plus at “Audio devices” follow the same steps above to see if it to is set “Do not use audio features on this device”

They may be set to “not use these devices” for some reason? But should be set to “use these devices”.

I've already checked that. I have 3 things in the properties for Creative SB Audigy: Audio Devices, MIDI Devices and Instruments and Mixer Devices. All have Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) and all are set to "use features on this device." I also noticed I can't hear any of the Windows sounds like startup, minimizing, maximizing even though I have the sound scheme set to Windows Default (which gets reset to blank when I go back there). But if I go into the Windows folder I can play all the .wav sounds and hear them just fine.

Same situation here... All of the same symptoms. Do you have built in soundmax as well that you replaced with SB Live Audigy?

No I do not have Soundmax. I have a Gateway computer and it came with the SB Audigy card. The motherboard has no integrated audio. This means the problem can't be Soundmax.

The first article suggests that the problem may be the "Digital Output Only" option but if I turn that off I hear no sound because my speakers are connected to the digital out jack and the second article was the opposite (turn ON digital output only).

I tried all the steps in both articles and neither yielded any results.

Here is some more of my info...
Driver info
SB Live! Audio [DF80]
Driver provider: Creative
Driver Date: 7/24/2002
Driver Version: 5.12.2.252
Digitally signed

fyi - When I install/update the driver for SB Live, windows always stops and asks me to find a few files manually (i.e. 2gmgsmt.sf2, sfman32.dll, sblfx.dll, devldr32.exe) These files are located at c:\windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab, however I need to extract them before updating the driver, the driver update process will not see that these files are in driver.cab for some reason.
It also stops and asks me for emu10k1f.sys, this is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back