AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Got my 64Bit system set up today. Very happy with it so far.

Asus A8V Delux
Athlon 64 3500+ (939)
1 Gig OCZ Rev3 Dual Channel Ram
Radeon 9500 Pro (getting a 6800 GT in a month or two)

Future Upgrades Are:

SATA Hard Drives
Water Cooling
New Case
Power Supply

I tried installing x64 on here, and had no problems with it till I tried installing my LAN driver. It spit out errors and would not install at all, even when I tried manually.

So I ended up using x32. I'm assuming there would be no difference in speed for a normal user.

Luna said:
Got my 64Bit system set up today. Very happy with it so far.

Asus A8V Delux
Athlon 64 3500+ (939)
1 Gig OCZ Rev3 Dual Channel Ram
Radeon 9500 Pro (getting a 6800 GT in a month or two)

Future Upgrades Are:

SATA Hard Drives
Water Cooling
New Case
Power Supply

I tried installing x64 on here, and had no problems with it till I tried installing my LAN driver. It spit out errors and would not install at all, even when I tried manually.

So I ended up using x32. I'm assuming there would be no difference in speed for a normal user.

I've got the BFG 6800OC and it rocks. I hope you are going with a pair of SATA drives in a RAID-0 configuration, because it absolutely rocks as far as speed is concern :)

I still have my work horse PC, I use my new one strictly for gaming and video encoding.

P.S. just a point I want to make the Athlon64 939 has the DEP(Data Execution Prevention) built-in. I had very serious stability issues and had to amend my boot.ini (AlwaysOff) to deactivate DEP within windows.

My Credit card is burnin a hole - I am feeling the need for the new system build..... esp. with the recent price cut news from AMD.

would anyone like to advise their opinion of best bang per buck (well pound actually) in the AMD64 arena? Having said that I do not think I will upgrade processor once built, so would like to be nearer top end as I can afford - thinking 3400 or maybe 3500? I expect I'll post up a thread when I have thrashed out more of my component list, but luckily for me I already have a spare graphics card :)

Mainframeguy said:
would anyone like to advise their opinion of best bang per buck (well pound actually) in the AMD64 arena?
I would say read over Sazar's thread on AMD64 for sure. He gives pro's/con's and pretty much sums what you'll need depending on what you want.

I am looking to join....

and below is what with - all opinions welcome as ever (I have a little budget left, but not a lot because it is all credit card spend that I shall have to cover when the bill comes!)

I am going to be putting all this inside a Nexus Breeze case, initially with the supplied 350W PSU and just the 120CM case floor fan:-

AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64 3500+/2.2ghz L2-512kb Box 939pin

Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound Gb-Lan IEEE1394 USB2 800FSB WiFi Retail Box

Kingston 512 DDR400 PC3200 Cl3 Memory module x 2

Seagate ST3160023A 160GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM

LG 52x32x52x IDE DRIVE - OEM

Liteon 16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer Internal IDE OEM

Additional to this I already have a 9700 pro that I intend to house there - this I shall be buying the Zalman VGA cooler (model c) for complete, I think, with the optional fan.

I shall replace the stock CPU cooler with the Zalman7000 AlCu.

Does anyone know if the optional fan for the AGP cooler comes with a fanmate? I really cannot decide if I want to spend any more on a fancy fan controller - I am hoping to more or less "set and forget".

Oh and one other thing - I am quite interested in SATA but worried if I load up with more drives power could be an issue plus concerned at noise of SATA - although I would NOT be getting raptors or anything - more like another Seagate at same capacity for fast programatic access.

All opinions welcome - I may well be comitting soon, itchy to move to the 64 bit platform now AMD have cut some prices!

BTW been able to source above items (excl. cooling) from Ebuyer except the case, which seems to be almost exclusive to Novatech!

[BUMP] - Hate to do this on this thread - but been away for weekend and may very well make my etailer orders within the nest 24 hours! :eek: for my credit card ;)

Here's what I'll be building soon as I finish selling off some items.

AMD64 3200 939 Winchester core
Seagate 120GB SATA
MSI K8V Neo 2 Plat. board.
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AIW
2x 512mb Samsung (Until I order some new ram)
BenQ DW1620 16x+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
SB Audigy 2 Plat.

Although, depending on the NF4 situation, I might go with a newer board.
Eventually I will go with the 6800GT, unless Ati makes a nice card by the end of the year. Aside from that, I might go with a SCSI 15000 RPM drive. It's my gaming rig so I don't need massive space, but speed is always a bonus. :)

guys... if you want advice on the products please create a separate thread for it... it makes it a lot easier for you to actually get help...

this thread is basically for those of us who have an a64 setup to say hey... look, I got one too... this is what it is... :)

i generally glance in here once in a while when it is bumped (not always) to check out what all has been going on and what new stuff is present in here now...

mainframe... your system looks fine but you might wanna get a better quality psu to run everything off it well... the a64 setups are generally happiest with a decent 12v rail (ie more than equal to 18A )

other than that the system looks fine...

OK - I am in....

just for a recap (it is different from earlier post in thread!)

the system comprises basics of:-
MSi k8n Neo Platinum 2 mobo with Winchester AMD64 3500
1 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR RAM
Radeon 9700 pro minus stock fan with Arctic I cooler instead
Zalman 7000 cooler for CPU
plus the PSU that comes with breeze case (Nexus 3500)
and two spinpoint samsung spinpoint 160GB drives
plus a couple of opticals in a nice matching black (SONY CD and NEC DVD)

although the PSU only offer 16 amps on the 12 volt rail I have been fine so far (fingers crossed Sazar!) I do have a hefty Tagan 480 to swap it with if this becomes an issue.

so far I am pretty impressed with performance (although only had very limited time to do things, I have at least set it to folding for OSNN as a burn in test!).

What I am sorry to say I am NOT impressed with is the noisiness of my new rig - my old quieted XP3000 wins hands down. Not sure yet if this is down to the NB fan onboard (I bought a heatsink, but could not fi it alongside the arctic VGA cooler :( ) or maybe the case fan plus PSU fan - or even maybe the VGA Arctic cooler fan - or just all of it adding up - I guess my budget should have stretched to a fan controller! Having said that it does run pretty cool, and my old rig was definitely on the hot side (always in the fifties for CPU temp) whereas the new one can idle in the forties.... I guess I am not so demanding on cooling (although unlike my usual self I did splash out for arctic silver on this build ;) )

Anyway this I shall work on - the main thing is I wanted to let you guys know I've made the jump to 64 bit.... anyone recommend anything to do with it before I get bogged into the new system and do not want to mess it up? Can you put XP 64 bit in beta as an alternate boot OS easily? I tried running rainmeter in 64 bit mode, but you can't do that under native XP I found.

No doubt I may post more as I find out more - just sort of wanted to say hi :)

Theres not much point to XP64 just yet as wrapping 32bit apps to 64 bit mode slows things down just a tad.

However it would be cool to play with tag me on irc sometime and I can give you a download ling thats not clogged up :)

as to noise - stick your finger in each fan till you find the loud one and replace it, rinse and repeat till quiet :D

I got myself a nice EpoX EP-8KDA3J and a 3400+ with 1024k L2 cache. From the benchmarks I've been seeing, it performs about 90% as well as 3800+ with a 512k L2 cache. And it cost about half :) When I get it, I'll post more about how it runs.

so anyone who's been using them, is the Gigabyte nforce4 ultra board better or the one from MSI or the ASUS board ? I am going to upgrade and need to decide quick. Also how can I tell if the Athlon64 939 3200+ I am getting is with the 90nm technology ?

delta4s said:
so anyone who's been using them, is the Gigabyte nforce4 ultra board better or the one from MSI or the ASUS board ? I am going to upgrade and need to decide quick. Also how can I tell if the Athlon64 939 3200+ I am getting is with the 90nm technology ?

anyone with the new mobos is likely press or somesuch they are THAT new

as for the 90nm technology that is easy - specify on your order Winchester rather than Newcastle (you will pay a premium also) and BTW you can get a 3500 if you want to (I did :p)

oh and rep me if I helped :p (j/k)

If anyone has those motheboards plese let me know :) I want a 3200+ because they're overclockable. (BTW rep added ;) )

tommy said:
Just a couple of questions..
Is it easy to fit and also what mobo do you advise me getting?
Can't wait to get it :cool:

The HEATSink supplied with the AMD 64 3500+ Winchester CPU is a bit awkward to fit as it has a locking bar and has to fit inside a "box" affair provided on the Abit AV8 3rd eye board.
This is a very good board ,with the overclock screen provided and saved overclock settings per Windows program if necessary.
The custom mag mentions to overclock the FSB and reduce the multiplier to 11 on this board.........must be a mistake as there is no multiplier on this setup or as far as I know on other 64 systems.

mainframe guy - did u sort the noisy NB fan out? just built my friends system with same mobo as you - using an arctic case and g/c cooler and stock heat sink and fan on a winchester, and when cool and quiet is used to ramp down the NB and CPU fans the system is sooooo quiet :) :) :) its really impressive - the arctic case is very quiet too and were getting temps around 34 idle and 39maxed out after gaming for a few hrs :)

HMMMMmm well I have not sorted it out totally - by which I mean my quietest system remain my XP3000+ which I quieted before building the AMD64 Neo2...

But your post gives me another idea - so far I have not even bothered with cool 'n quiet (because I fold I did not think it would help me at all). What I have done is put in a fan controller which I presently have controlling the CPU, case, and NB fans... still not getting much benefit and believe the main culprit to be my arctic VGA cooler on my 9700pro - which I tried undervolting, but then the fan would not turn :(

I am wondering which way tot turn here - and thinking if I build another rig I may put a 9600XT with passive cooling in there....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back