[FreeBSD] Going to Xorg from Xfree86

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political Access
Since XFree is seemingly going to disappear, here are the steps to install Xorg on FreeBSD. Here are the steps and the patch file you need to do it;

# pkg_deinstall -f XFree*
# pkg_deinstall -O wrapper-*
# cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries && make install clean

This will fail [fixed 6/2/04] becuase it looks for Wraphelp2.gz in the wrong location, so you need to copy the Wraphelp2.gz file to /usr/ports/distfiles
#cp /usr/ports/distfiles/xorg/Wraphelp.gz /usr/ports/distfiles/
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper

now you need to patch the Makefile, save in the directory as xorg.diff
Code:
*** Makefile	Mon May 31 21:43:41 2004
--- Makefile.xorg	Mon May 31 23:18:42 2004
*** 13,21 ****
  EXTRACT_SUFX=	# intentionally left blank

MAINTAINER=	[email]trevor@FreeBSD.org[/email]
! COMMENT=	Wrapper for XFree86-4 server

! RUN_DEPENDS=	XFree86:${PORTSDIR}/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server

NO_WRKSUBDIR=	yes
  PLIST_FILES=	bin/Xwrapper-4
--- 13,21 ----
  EXTRACT_SUFX=	# intentionally left blank

MAINTAINER=	[email]trevor@FreeBSD.org[/email]
! COMMENT=	Wrapper for Xorg-server

! RUN_DEPENDS=	Xorg:${PORTSDIR}/x11-servers/xorg-server

NO_WRKSUBDIR=	yes
  PLIST_FILES=	bin/Xwrapper-4
*** 24,30 ****
  do-fetch:

do-build:
! 	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -DXSERVER_PATH=\"${X11BASE}/bin/XFree86\" -o ${WRKSRC}/Xwrapper-4 ${FILESDIR}/wrapper.c

do-install:
  	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/Xwrapper-4 ${PREFIX}/bin
--- 24,30 ----
  do-fetch:

do-build:
! 	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -DXSERVER_PATH=\"${X11BASE}/bin/Xorg\" -o ${WRKSRC}/Xwrapper-4 ${FILESDIR}/wrapper.c

do-install:
  	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/Xwrapper-4 ${PREFIX}/bin
# patch Makefile xorg.diff
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients && make install clean
# portinstall xorg-fonts-*
# pkgdb -F

Fix up the dependencies,
XFree86-fontsScalable -> xorg-fonts-type1
XFree86-server -> xorg-server, you get the idea

That should be it. xorg will use your existing XF86Config, but you should cp to xorg.conf just to be thorough.

Is Xorg as good as Xfree86? Any idea btw why Xfree quits?

Xfree and Xorg split basically due to license changes, it seems that everyone is moving to x.org because of the [I guess] more restrictive nature of it, so it is bad news for Xfree86. Also, XFree86-4.4 has been out for quite some time and is not in the ports collection, but xorg has just been added, hardly subtle :).

As far as I can tell there is no major differences.

Excellent guide. Thanks!
smile.gif

I don't know anything about these operating systems, but if this guide is as good as you say netryder, I vote sticky

Neat guide, was looking at switching myself. I have been helping adding ports and was looking at fixing certain issues.

About the Xfree and Xorg differences:

Xfree now has a more restrictive license that all distributors of it said they did not like, thus it is being rejected by everyone, and they move onto a fork of it. Xorg in this case, which is a simple replacement which contains all kinds of neat ideas that would never be implemented in XFree cause the person that runs the project is an *******.

The latest Xfree is not in the ports yet because it is not a simple switch, and the port maintainer is currenly on vacation.

he's back from vacation ;) but he moved xorg in before updating xfree to 4.4 which I took as an indication of the direction of things, btw xorg-clients is currently broken on 4-x, even though it is not listed as so, I've installed xorg on 4 boxes so far, xorg-clients has failed on the 2 4-x and has installed fine on the 2 5-x. You can use the XFree86-clients along with the rest of the xorg ports just fine.

cool, good info, me thinks sticky should be done as well]

*sticks

Good guide, but I still don't see no reason to change, as it's only license issue and updates. If it aint broke, don't fix it. It's working fine on my freebsd 4.10 so I see no reason to change, unless it does really improve over time.

desie said:
If it aint broke, don't fix it. It's working fine on my freebsd 4.10 so I see no reason to change, unless it does really improve over time.
I have read (havn't tested yet) that X.org is more stable and alot of ppl have had better luck with it so far :)

X.org contains a lot of new features that are not in the Xfree tree, and with the backing of so many Distrobutions and projects it will grow faster.

j79zlr said:
he's back from vacation ;) but he moved xorg in before updating xfree to 4.4 which I took as an indication of the direction of things, btw xorg-clients is currently broken on 4-x, even though it is not listed as so, I've installed xorg on 4 boxes so far, xorg-clients has failed on the 2 4-x and has installed fine on the 2 5-x. You can use the XFree86-clients along with the rest of the xorg ports just fine.

Well, xorg is a lot easier to move in because it is so modular.

wewt

I think I am going to install xorg instead of XFree86 when I upgrade my desktop machine

j79zlr said:
Fix up the dependencies,
XFree86-fontsScalable -> xorg-fonts-type1
XFree86-server -> xorg-server, you get the idea

How would one go about doing that? :/.

when you run pkgdb -F after installing xorg.

On versions before that (5.2.1 or 4.10) add X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg to make.conf in /etc/. Now recompile every app that links against X86Free so that it compiles against Xorg. (Easiest way to do this is to delete all ports except cvsup and portupgrade), and delete your /usr/ports tree, cvsup new ports, and start compiling from scratch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back