Remote Access Connection Manager Errors

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
OS: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64, Service Pack 2

Yesterday I decided to install the new Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 security suite on my server. Big mistake, but that's another story.

After dealing with issues throughout the day I decided to uninstall it, cleanup, and go back to Symantec Antivirus 10.2. However, now that it is uninstalled I am seeing errors in the Event Viewer every time the Remote Access Connection Manager attempts to start.

First Error
Source: RemoteAccess
Event ID: 20070
Error: Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SymRasMan64.dll module. The specified module could not be found.

Second Error
Source: RemoteAccess
Event ID: 20151
Error: The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINDOWS\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. The specified module could not be found.

Third Error
Source: Rasman
Event ID: 20063
Error: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

Last Error
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Error: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

Here's what I have done:
  • Rebooted the server (found this suggested in a TechNet article geared towards Windows 2000 Server)
  • Looked through Component Services and found nothing
I have not called Symantec back yet. I figured I would ask here instead of wasting more time on the phone.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it out. There were two registry keys in CurrentControlSet that linked to the service.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\13]
"FriendlyName"="Smart Card or other certificate"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"ConfigUiPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"IdentityPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"InteractiveUIPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"InvokeUsernameDialog"=dword:00000000
"InvokePasswordDialog"=dword:00000000
"MPPEEncryptionSupported"=dword:00000001
"ConfigCLSID"="{58AB2366-D597-11d1-B90E-00C04FC9B263}"
"StandaloneSupported"=dword:00000000
"NoRootRevocationCheck"=dword:00000001
"RolesSupported"=dword:00000003
"PerPolicyConfig"=dword:00000001

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25]
"FriendlyName"="Protected EAP (PEAP)"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"ConfigUiPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"IdentityPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"InteractiveUIPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\SymRasMan64.dll"
"InvokeUsernameDialog"=dword:00000000
"InvokePasswordDialog"=dword:00000000
"MPPEEncryptionSupported"=dword:00000001
"ConfigCLSID"="{58AB2366-D597-11d1-B90E-00C04FC9B263}"
"StandaloneSupported"=dword:00000001
"NoRootRevocationCheck"=dword:00000001
"RolesSupported"=dword:00000013
"PerPolicyConfig"=dword:00000001

Deleting the two fixed my issues.

Not cleaning up on everything it installed is part of the reason I stopped using Symantec products.

OK - three things.

1 - Good job on figuring this out and sharing the solution
2 - Why not test in a virtual environment first?
3 - I fixed a typo in your OP, you had "Remove Access Control Manager" - I fixed the word Remove to Remote.

1 - Thanks D
2 - Because I don't have a virtual environment running Exchange; I should
3 - Thanks D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back