2007 Microsoft Office System Beta 2 Discussion

Re: Office 2007 Discussion (Pretty Screenshots Included)

NetRyder said:
Oh, and the new charts and table designs in Excel and Powerpoint are beautiful. Some of those screenshots up there already give you a sense of what they're like. Sitting through Powerpoint presentations might finally become bearable again. :p

Thats nice to know, you can only do so much with powerpoint before everything just looks the same.

falconguard said:
This is too awesome, I couldn't stop laughing.

what is? My numbering?

EDIT: nevermind, I saw your Rep. Thx

Last edited:

Oh my sweet lord, those screenshots are sexy. I love the UI, I'll be switching the day it hits RTM :D

Unless I'm blind, I'm pretty sure this wasen't posted. When is this soppose to be released?

Along side Vista.

Yeah, it supposed to be out later this year.

Oooohh access so pretty now :cool:

I like.

don't like that design .. sorry . seems for kids ..
Cosmin

I hate to say it again, but I really like it.

It is kind of like how you put certain colors and patters inside your kids room when they are growing up. Putting a certain "feel" to the UI can ease the user and help them be more productive.

I have seen shots of the UI previously, but none this sexy.

I'm very excited, 'case you can't tell ;)

kcnychief said:
It is kind of like how you put certain colors and patters inside your kids room when they are growing up. Putting a certain "feel" to the UI can ease the user and help them be more productive.
That's the point of the contextual ribbons. For several years now, every new release of Office has been adding new features, but it's always followed the same basic paradigm of putting everything within menus or dialog boxes. It's reached the point where it's actually difficult to find and discover many features and options. Interestingly enough, a classic example is right here in this thread - people had no idea how to switch from MDI to SDI mode, let alone what the keyboard shortcut was.

The purpose of displaying contextual ribbons instead of menus and toolbars is to make it easier to find what you're looking for by making it available right in front of your eyes. Click on a table within a Word document, and the ribbon automatically changes to display the most commonly used table layout and formatting options. Click on a chart, and now you only see chart-related functionality. Of course, since there are just so many advanced features within each of the products in the Office family, it's impossible to expose them all to the user in this manner, but the basic idea is that commonly-performed tasks will get much quicker and easier.

I think the look is starting to grow on me.

Admiral Michael said:
I think the look is starting to grow on me.

Try taking a shower, that growth should wash right off :p

NetRyder said:
That's the point of the contextual ribbons. For several years now, every new release of Office has been adding new features, but it's always followed the same basic paradigm of putting everything within menus or dialog boxes. It's reached the point where it's actually difficult to find and discover many features and options. Interestingly enough, a classic example is right here in this thread - people had no idea how to switch from MDI to SDI mode, let alone what the keyboard shortcut was.

The purpose of displaying contextual ribbons instead of menus and toolbars is to make it easier to find what you're looking for by making it available right in front of your eyes. Click on a table within a Word document, and the ribbon automatically changes to display the most commonly used table layout and formatting options. Click on a chart, and now you only see chart-related functionality. Of course, since there are just so many advanced features within each of the products in the Office family, it's impossible to expose them all to the user in this manner, but the basic idea is that commonly-performed tasks will get much quicker and easier.

Great explanation, I feel so gitty :D

Gimme gimme gimme :p

kcnychief said:
Try taking a shower, that growth should wash right off :p

LOL! sigh, such weirdness from Derek, must be the gitty-ness.

Is it gonna be worth it... Office 200y i mean...
Will it make that much of a difference in our everyday lives if we still use office 2003?

Vanquished said:
Is it gonna be worth it... Office 200y i mean...
Will it make that much of a difference in our everyday lives if we still use office 2003?

Only way to tell would be to try it out I guess.

Hmmm...
It'll go for like 150 for the suite right?

Not quite little Vanquished, Office 2003 Professional goes for $499.99. I would assume the pricing will be similar, as it always has been around that much.

Are you serious!
I had no idea that office 2003 was that much!
I cant believe it... Whoa
Why the heck did i ever buy it in the first place!
-Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back