NvNews + OSNN + SP Folding Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Folding@home Team page created.

ok, just joined up ^_^

one question though: i usually have torrents eating through my upload bandwidth (which is only about 6kb/s anyway) so will the client keep attempting to upload the data until it gets through, or should i set it to manual and stop uploading while the client sends its data?

Thanks for joining up! I know nothing about this program, so no help here. Just wanted to say thanks for joining and I'm sure someone will be along soon enough.

I'm curious about this as well. My 2 optiplex pcs for my dev environment are suspposed to be here on the 5th. I'm still not sure whether both will be connected to the net 24-7 so is there the ability to keep the data and send the packets say once a week?

Yeah it's good to have more people, I am through 4 WU's already :)

I'm comin for the #1 spot :yowch:

yalooze said:
one question though: i usually have torrents eating through my upload bandwidth (which is only about 6kb/s anyway) so will the client keep attempting to upload the data until it gets through, or should i set it to manual and stop uploading while the client sends its data?
The bandwidth that F@H uses is rather small I believe and BitTorrent shouldn't be a problem .. F@H would just grab a sliver of bandwidth while it uploads/downloads and then your back to normal on your torrents (same as when you surf while using BitTorrent ;) ).

mfarley, you can tell F@H to not upload it's data straight away.

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=12620

Look at the F@H icon if you use the GUI. Hover your mouse over it, right-click and left-click on Configure...
You will now get a dialog box with 4 tabs. Left click on the COnnection tab and make sure the radio button next to the text "Ask before connecting to network" is ticked. It should display a dialog box "Ready to connect to network" whenever a WU gets finished.

If you have the CLI, go via a DOS-box to the appropriate F@H directory and use the -configonly parameter next to the same of the client.
You will now get a text based question and anwser mode where you have to answer the questions that gets presented. Questions like Team number, core priority, etc. One of those questions is: "ask before connecting?"
When you get this question, just type "yes" (without the " " ).
although i'm not sure how long u can wait before sending the finished file. I believe there is a timeout on their server side, so if for some reason a person never finishes a file, it will timeout and the server will give it to someone else. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can tell you what these time limits are.

And thanks for the reply Xie.

Woo, I have completed 4 WU's. I am working on my first 5000 frame WU, and it will finish at about 8am. My Comp runs surprisingly well even when I have F@H cranked to 100% CPU usage.

I turned mine done to 85% to give myself a little extra room but I agree that the idle settings work quite well.

Also, I use the command line interface and I was wondering where one finds this frame size? All I can see is a project number...

I started my home PC up again. I dunno if I will get any points for the 250 that I wasand or have been running for awhile now. Some of these have time limits.

I believe the faster you PC the larger the WU and the fewer folds. This WU is using about 130Mb of RAM +/- 20Mb. And when I watch the ones at work the PC's with more (the ones I build :D) get the same WU's and seem to get 600 points per.

I have never seen a 400 fold or less appear on a 512Mb or less machine.

We have also been stressing our systems at work more, and have very little free system resources from 7:00-6:00ish. The server which is another folding machine is serving about 1.8Gb of data per day, while it doesn't seem like very much the database is huge and each request is only 15-30Kb, and made by 12PC's so it uses alot of resources to keep up.

Anyway, I repped some people and will be getting around to the rest when I can as I hit my 24 hour limit. (Last call?)

Steevo said:
I started my home PC up again. I dunno if I will get any points for the 250 that I wasand or have been running for awhile now. Some of these have time limits.

I believe the faster you PC the larger the WU and the fewer folds. This WU is using about 130Mb of RAM +/- 20Mb. And when I watch the ones at work the PC's with more (the ones I build :D) get the same WU's and seem to get 600 points per.

I have never seen a 400 fold or less appear on a 512Mb or less machine.

We have also been stressing our systems at work more, and have very little free system resources from 7:00-6:00ish. The server which is another folding machine is serving about 1.8Gb of data per day, while it doesn't seem like very much the database is huge and each request is only 15-30Kb, and made by 12PC's so it uses alot of resources to keep up.

Anyway, I repped some people and will be getting around to the rest when I can as I hit my 24 hour limit. (Last call?)

Wow, #1 of 58, nice to meet you oh formidable folding leader :devious:

Seems we have taken a bit of an upturn in our recent 24 hour postings, seem to be getting a few 4k's in the last couple of days!

Plus we are only 3,000 shy of that million mark! I for one will be repping all active folders when we hit it - so if you stopped folding how about restarting, and if you have never tried it then why not give it a try now? You'll need to fold a unit real quick to join in with passing the million mark now though!

Mainframeguy said:
Seems we have taken a bit of an upturn in our recent 24 hour postings, seem to be getting a few 4k's in the last couple of days!

Plus we are only 3,000 shy of that million mark! I for one will be repping all active folders when we hit it - so if you stopped folding how about restarting, and if you have never tried it then why not give it a try now? You'll need to fold a unit real quick to join in with passing the million mark now though!

I've been actively folding at 100% CPU for a few days now. Have completed 5, including one that was 5000. Working on a 500 now, at 479 currently. Wooooo 3,000!

I just put my second CPU online. Now two machines folding at 100% CPU usage 24/7 baby! w00t!

well after that excitement - instead of folding another 4 or 5k we folded a lousy few hundred in the last 24 hours, so we remain about 5,000 point shy of the million mark - I guess the party is holding for the weekend? Hopefully overall we are on the up and when we join the millionaire folders league pointswise maybe some more folks might sign up? I know I sometimes mention our team in IRC channels and it is one way to publicise OSNN indirectly also in doing so....

Party!!!!

:dance: :drink: :party: :W00T:

Congrats to the team. Rep+++++++

:party:

woohooo,,,who be folding?

wooo hooo! First time I have hit the too much rep in a 24 hour period limit - now is that running on GMT and does it roll over at midnight? Because if it did I should be able to rep the rest of the folders right off - otherwise we'll just have to party all week I guess? Hope this maybe attracts other folders too.....

[EDIT] Doh! just tried after midnight rolled around and no suxh luck - so you guys keep this party going and get guys like that Matt fella to join up and any other bored OSNNer that looks in - would be nice to see our membership double so we can fold the next million one heck of a lot quicker![/EDIT]

Last edited:

Congratulations to all folders. One million points!!!

I remembered that I had copied the OSNN scores just after I joined. Below is the total points we had accumulated on October 2, 2004. Yes, that's Steevo in second place. Now we have 20 people with about 5,000 or more.

1 xsivforce 33,027
2 Steevo1 18,428
3 MainFrameGuy 18,286
4 ribbed.us 10,584
5 Codasmd 3,854
6 Brad 3,696
7 Vetrius 3,513
8 penguinz 3,063
9 Zedric 2,878
10 Glaanieboy 2,677
11 Lobo34 2,540
12 ElectronicPunk 2,238
13 tom9042 1,293
14 xsiv_work 856
15 Kayli 652
16 Sazar 654
17 sab4you 609
18 Krux 506
19 y 482
20 Moonacres 353
21 Mainframe_guy 305
22 funkydredd 235
23 NetRyder 227
24 Erbmaster 198
25 RagnaroK 135

Total 111,289

With all the good I'm doing in folding, soon I'll have the license to kill!!! Mwahahahahha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back