The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Well shiit... Installed extension on work machine and it is going great. GRRRRRRRR!

I am starting to hate SBC, at home it always is one thing or another. :mad:

frogg_mann said:
"The operation has timed out when attempting to contact forum.osnn.net".
Is this something that firefox is causing? It never appeared while using IE6. Where do i adjust this in firefox?
Thanks in advance, frogg 8)
PS I'm giving this browser a fair chance.
I would like to know the answer to this also.
Thanks

gonaads said:
Has anyone had any problems with web site pages loading in Firefox using the Tweak Network Settings 1.0 extension?

~~~~~~~~~~[ loading very slowly.]~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure if it's my connection or ISP (SBC DSL), but at home I am using the extension and it sometimes is a bit funky/odd. At work same IPS but not using extension and it seems to be better.

I have set it to the default sttings but it doesn't seem any different.

Gonna install on work machine and see if it goes poopy here also.
I noticed the same thing on my PC after installing the tweaks settings. Bump for more info.

Thanks

Computer Barbie said:
I would like to know the answer to this also.
Thanks
probably either your ISP or EP up to somethign with the forums (except he almost always puts up a message inviting you to abuse him on IRC!

PS welcome to OSNN Barbie! :)

Hmmmm... could be EP fookin wit shiit... BTW the smilies suck! :mad:

:p

And , hello Barbie :)

Hi Guys,

With the new Firefox1.0, I am getting a lot of popups. Something that was never an issue with 0.8 or 0.9. The sites that have them have always been the same ones I always goto before 1.0. Is there a setting that is probably not checked off somewhere that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return then scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages 2-3 times faster now.

Registry

I am removing all links to IE on the desktops, start menus and quicklaunch bars in my company. The only problem I am encountering is that the first time Firefox is opened, it displayes a dialog box asking if the user wants to make Firefox the default browser or not.

Does anone know the registry entry that this dialog box affects, so when I push this out, the end users won't be tempted to say no?

Thanks all!

Surprised no-one has answered that for you dmhead, it must be a known entry (tried searching the registry on default and browser?) Anyway - welcome to OSNN, maybe me bumping this thread will bring forth an answer.... :)

I have a question of my own... I run a network of about five computers, two of which are actively in use by myself. Of those my browsers are currently one Mozilla and two firefox, but now we have firefix 1.0 I am thinking about making the switch completely. Now my question is not browser related, rather Thunderbird. At present I use only ONE machine for my POP email account, where I read and file and leave on server the mail (account has plenty space and I will clear by the year as needed).

Does anyone else run similar situation, or even just laptop and desktop? And if so have they installed Thunderbird on multiple machines? I am concerned not to loose any mail mainly (I know it defaults to take mail OFF the server rather than leave it there!). Presumably what will happen is I will have to install and right off first thing change to leave mail on server, only then configure my account and POP3/SMTP settings - after this I am guessing ALL mail on server will come up as unread and I will need to do a "mark as read" and then create any folders/filing locally as I want it.

Can anyone confirm that or maybe let me know any pitfalls before I go ahead?

Thanks to anyone that can.

Hi Mainframeguy,

Thanks for the reply. I think I was asking the wrong question. Someone on another forum was able to decipher my ramblings and give me an answer that I think may work.

This much I already knew:
me said:
I edit [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command] to:
"V:\\Firefox\\FIREFOX.EXE -url \"%1\""
(The binaries for Firefox reside on a shared drive mapped to v:\ for all users)
This basically makes FF the default browser. FF still asks the user if it should be default. This was giving me fits.

The answer seems to be not another registry entry, as I was ass-umming, but in the \defaults\pref\firefox.js file. There is an entry:
Code:
 pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", true);
That I can change to:
Code:
 pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);

Normally, I would not be happy with this as an answer, as it allows the user to make IE the default browser, and FF would not try to change it back. But since I am removing all shortcuts to IE, most of the users will probably not bother to lookfor, or run IE from a command line.

I do have one more question, if I may:

My question surrounds the dialog box that appears, asking if the user wants to import their IE settings. Is there any way to force this import, without prompting the user?

To answer your question Mainframeguy, I have Thunderbird on two machines at work, both pointing to the same acount. As long as your mail is left on the server, you should not encounter any problems.

dmhead, you may want to look into the default browser thing a bit further. I recall some people having the problem that it wasn't that Firefox was constantly trying to check to see if it was default but that IE somehow was resetting itself as the default. Sooooo, Firefox, every time ya fired it up would look to see if it was default and ask due to the fact that in it's properties it was set to do so. 'Cause if it were default, it would not ask again unless someone switched it.

If you do a search of the forums or even look through this thread I think there was an answer to this, somewhere around here. :)

I hope I'm being clear enough. :D

What you could do is choose which one you want to open whenever you click on a Web link. To make Firefox the default, launch Firefox. When the dialog box pops up asking if you want Firefox to be your default browser, click ''Yes.'' Then launch Internet Explorer. When it asks if you want it to be the default browser, click on the box marked ''Always ask'' to uncheck it, then click ''No.''

I don't know if this is an answer to anything, but maybe, :D

[edit] But more to your original question as to not get the dialog box for any user on the computer. I believe I have seen somewhere that Mozilla and/or Firefox cannot set itself properly as the default browser if the user account is not a local administrator of the PC. If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, were you using an administrator account when you set Firefox as the default browser? Once this is done, Firefox will become the default browser for any user who logs into the PC. And with this, I think the dialog box won't pop up again... unless someone with Administator privileges changes it to something else.

Also, Firefox 0.9.x had an issue with part of the default browser setting.

Sorry for the ramblings. :)

Now this is scarry...

Internet Explorer has been declared by government agencies to be a huge security risk, and the US Government has actually recommended that we, the public, not use it. Now you know something is wrong when the Gov starts telling you that IE is ummmmm... not secure:

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878

gonaads said:
Now this is scarry...

Internet Explorer has been declared by government agencies to be a huge security risk, and the US Government has actually recommended that we, the public, not use it. Now you know something is wrong when the Gov starts telling you that IE is ummmmm... not secure:

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878
That CERT announcement has been around for ages. :D

Besides, a US government announcement telling me which browser to use would be the last thing that would guide my decision. :p I choose to use Firefox over IE for my own reasons, and this whole security blurb is probably right at the bottom of the list.

gonaads said:
Here is something interesting, a tutorial that tells how to set up Firefox for deployment on numerous computers:

http://firefox.dbltree.com/
Now that's very cool! :)

If you read all the applications they list as not secure you would not use a computer at all, I looked over the list and its everything from a to z. Oracle has tons of problems, Unix , IBM , you name it and its on the list.

Anyone know what setting (in about:config) I need to change to get my middle mouse button to open a new tab?

I think I have the right one, just want to make sure. May just be OS X being an arse :D

browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick == true

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back