Our Favorite Tweaks

I never use "f4" streight up

I set this f key as a "view new posts" keyboard shortcut

make a desktop shortcut of your brwoser with the view new posts address as the target;

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/search.php?do=getnew

then put your focus on the open feild called "shortcut"

hit f4, hit apply

bing, when you want "view new posts, just hit f4

perris said:
gotta love those 0_87

gonna love the next one also

you can add whatever you want to your right click "send to" menue;

hit windows key+r

paste the following;

sendto

hit enter.

in the window that pops up, just drag whatever folder you would like included in your sendto menue
Excelent :D

If you are an avid Internet graphics grabber, use this quick tip to make your life easier. Using Explorer (with your links toolbar turned on), drag a shortcut of your 'My Documents' or 'My Pictures' folder, or any folder in which you save Internet graphics. When online, simply drag the picture from the Web site to the shortcut on the Links bar. The only downfall is that the file is saved with the server-side filename. This link takes you from 8 or more clicks to one! That's a time saver! Thanks go to Lockergnome. :)

jan, that is nice...I can't understand why the links button is the bane of computer users...I love it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lots of miss information concerning the system idle process, so, for members of ntfs, I'll give you the skinny...you'll definitely have a heads up on this much not understood feature of xp

if you'd like to do more research, the Microsoft publication "inside windows 2000" is an unbelievable wealth of information and reference

alright, everyone knows, Windows NT is multi threading operating system, which in lay speak just means you can do a bunch of different things on your box, with the illusion that everything is happening simultanously...what an amazing ability this is, and everyone should learn how to take advantage of it...do not follow that old advice and force your computer to run one only thing at a time, your computer allows you to be so much more productive...but that's another discussion.

the reality is, your standard chip can only do one thing at a time, but, it switches back and forth between threads so fast, and so often, that everything looks like it virtually (I love that word) happens at once.

this switching back and forth is managed with a set of algorithms known as "the NT scheduler".

the scheduler simply places priorities on the various threads that are active...it gives each thread it's share of CPU time, ( this unit of time is known as a quantum )...the quantum length can be adjusted in NT, but that's the word we use when speaking of the time unit the CPU spends with any given thread.

the scheduler doesn't look at what process a thread belongs to, it just looks at the priority of a thread...pretty simple...the scheduler then executes the highest priority...this high priority thread will decay a level for every quantum completed...however, the level can be re bumped depending on the program and how it's referenced by the user....for instance, a keyboard stroke bumps a priority on an idle thread that is waiting for that stroke by 6 points.

to prevent any thread from starving due to a priority lower then everything else, the scheduler will make sure every thread gets it's share of CPU, lower priority threads are bumped sometimes to level 15... they can even be given more then one quantum too...if they have not had a quantum for too long a period.

there are also other policies that insure lower priorities get a quantum... as mentioned, every thread in the 1-15 range will decay a level (to a point set by the program) every time it completes a quantum...and of course, these threads can always get bumped up levels according to use, and so refreshed in priority as well as decayed.

programs also voluntarily give up their priority, and programs get "blocked "from even being considered for a quantum when they are not ready to execute.

"not ready to execute", or "blocked" threads use no CPU time...they incur no CPU overhead and there is no CPU management overhead, the overhead of the NT scheduler is a constant set of algorithms that always run....when a thread or process incurs zero CPU, it's as if it's not even running at all as far as CPU resource liability

if a number of threads have the same priority, these threads are just executed in a round robin fashion along that respective priority.

of course, there's allot of sophistication involved with these scheduling policies, but you now have an accurate model

fyi... even most people that know about CPU scheduling in NT are under the impression that there are 31 priorities in the NT kernel

that's incorrect

there are 32

there is 1 through 15 for the common apps, 16 through 31 for critical threads, and then there is a priority "zero"

in NT, the higher the number a priority, the higher the priority...this is a random choice, and similar to the vim OS's, (after all, it is David cutler that is responsible for nt)...the reverse could have been true, it's just the way Microsoft did it.

as told, priorities 1 through 15 are the dynamic priorities that typical applications get assigned..the threads in this realm change priorities all along, getting bumped and degraded according to need by the os...these are dynamic in nature.

16 through 31 not dynamic, this is what we mean by "real time" when talking about a threads priority...the priority of real time threads is constant...the os does not change the priorities of these threads..these priorities are used for operations that are time critical...in addition, users with administrative authority can also set real time priorities for applications on their own

so now I finally get to the next level of priority

this is priority level 0 (zero)

only your system idle process gets a priority of zero...nothing else

This process is a single thread running on each processor, which has the sole task of accounting for processor time when the system isn't processing other threads. In Task Manager, expect this process to account for the majority of processor time.

with priority zero, when no other thread is executing, priority zero gets a quantum.

and so, here is the biggest misinterpretation with the system idle process

if you open your task manager while the CPU is hardly working, and look to processes, you will notice that your system idle process is taking 90% or such of the CPU time.

HA

THIS FIGURE IS MISUNDERSTOOD!!!!

it's not 90% pf your CPU that it's taking, it's 90% of what the CPU's load is

for instance, go to the performance graph...if the CPU's load is 1%, and system idle is using 90% at that time, then system idle process is using 90% of the one percent.

in other words, 9/Th's of one percent in this example

cute huh?

heres a tweak I just sortof figured out...If you use MSN Messenger there are 2 ways you can view all your contacts:
Sorted by online/offline and sorted by groups. Well I liked the olnine/offline sorting cause it only displayed the online contacts at the top, but I also wanted to sort the contacts by group but this included all the offline people and my list became too long...what to do??? well by playing around some I figured out the best way:

Under contacts go to sort contacts by group, then under manage groups select group offline contacts together. Voila now you can expand each of your groups except the not online group and you will only see the online people and they will be sorted by group. (this could be widely known, but its new to me so I thought I'd share ;) )

USE YOUR FRIGGGN LINKS BUTTON DAMN IT!!!

I can't beleive peeps are so predisposed with getting rid of the links folder.

you can put ANYTHING YOU WANT in the links folder, and then have quick simple toolbar access to it.

you know, one of the most favorite programs for your browser is a cute little app called "add a button"

this litlle thing allows you to add apps and files to your toolbar

HA...THE LINKS BAR ALREADY DOES THIS!!

if I wrote a tweak that gave the links folder, everybody woulld be flocking around and saying, "man o man o man...that is one great tweak"

you can put your .exe's in the folder, folders in the folder...YOU CAN PUT THE DESKTOP IN THIS FOLDER!!!!

to put in whatever you want, right click on the folder, hit explor, right click in an empty area, hit new, shortcut.

paste in your target

this is better then you think

and then you have toolbar access to whatever you want

you know, there's a program that gives you the ability

Geez perris,

I was wondering if you like to use the links button? I'm not sure, but seems like something you might wanna look into...

Perris, you remember my docked toolbar tweak awhile back? maybe in the experience.org days? Unlock and right click the taskbar select toolbar>links and drag the links toolbar off the taskbar onto the right or left side of the screen. Right click autohide, always on top and take off the title. Put shortcuts in here or create folders with shorcuts inside.

When you move your mouse to the left or right side of the screen, a toolbar will slide out and you can click on either the shortcut or on a folder which drops down with a list of shortcuts. (dropdown only works with the links folder)

This system has essentially replaced my means of navigating around windows. I have shortcuts to my program folder, and tons of other shortcuts nicely organized.

man thats pretty cool, I just did that, made it large icons and took away the text, very neat!!

Now right click into that toolbar (or another toolbar you dragged there), choose "new toolbar", point this new toolbar to "My Computer" and reduce the size until only the title is shown. You'll get an selfexpanding menu to access every single file on your computer. (Nearly every file - hidden files don't show up there unfortunately.)

screeny

Does anyone know where in the registry the information is stored as to the use of "double clicking" a file using the mouse? I think double clicking executes the default action for a particular file extension but I want to be sure.

Also the registry entry to change the defalut action for opening a file.

Modifying Context Menus *backup your registry*

The original post/tweak was bloated and not very dynamic; hopefully more people will be able to take advantage of this one.

Before using any of the files provided back up your registry or create a system restore point.

Before using any of my custom Winamp shells turn off the default shell integration in your Winamp Preferences. If you want to restore any of the functionality the registry files remove just re-enable it in the Preferences once again. If you use any of the Winamp files, the installation path MUST be "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" otherwise you'll have to modify the files.

The Media Player Classic shells will function almost exactly as the Winamp ones do. Unfortunately this feature has not yet been integrated by the author, hopefully it will in a future build. If you use any of the MPC files, the installation path MUST be "C:\Program Files\mediaplayerclassic\mplayerc.exe" otherwise you'll have to modify the files.

Here is a brief description of what each file does, note also this description and any applicable uninstall files needed to remove the features added with them are included in the zip.

MPC Shells\video shell.reg
*adds “Play in MPC” and “Enqueue in MPC” context menus to all video files

MPC Shells\ audio shell.reg
*adds “Play in MPC” and “Enqueue in MPC” context menus to all audio files

MPC Shells\ Directory shell.reg
*adds “Play in MPC” and “Enqueue in MPC” context menus to all directories

MPC Shells\ Uninstall Files\
*removes features noted above if applicable

Winamp Shells\Directory shell.reg
*adds default Winamp shell to all directories
* removes “Add to Winamp’s Bookmark list”

Winamp Shells\ Winamp.Playlist shell.reg
*adds default Winamp shell to all playlists
* removes “Open” command, which is redundant with “Play in Winamp”

Winamp Shells\ Winamp.File shell.reg
*adds default Winamp shell to all files associated with Winamp
* removes “Open” command, which is redundant with “Play in Winamp”

Winamp Shells\ winamp.exe shell.reg
*this registry entry seems redundant and I can’t see the use of it but just in case I removed the “Add to Winamp’s Bookmark list” to be sure

Winamp Shells\ REMOVE 'Add to Winamp's Bookmark list'.reg
*removes all traces of “Add to Winamp’s Bookmark list”

All bugs are solved in this version of the tweak.

Left to Right:
Context menus of an video file; Context menus of an audio file; Context menus of a directory; Winamp Shell Integration Preferences

here's a tweak that everyone has to know but I don't think is talked about enough...create a shortcut to mplayer2.exe to use the old version of WMP...it's installed in the directory of WMP9 and uses a lot less resources, use it every once in a while when I'm playing stuff without playlists

I asked yoyo to figure out how to rename the "links" button...this is very nice...works perfectly...so far I've named it "cool stuff" bit I think I'll change that to "dark place"...or something mysterious;

Originally Posted by yoyo

Rename the folder, then open regedit and change the data for LinksFolderName at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
to match the new name.
Think that should do it.

I total forgot about one of the first things I do to my keyboard

this prevents me from accidntly engaging caps lock and num lock

(I wish it did the same for "insert" but it does not)
Notes

To open Accessibility, go to your Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options.
hit toggle keys

To use the keyboard shortcut which allows you to turn ToggleKeys on and off by pressing the NUM LOCK key for five seconds, on the Keyboard tab, under ToggleKeys, click Settings.
If the Use shortcut check box in the Settings for ToggleKeys dialog box is selected, you can turn ToggleKeys on or off by holding down the NUM LOCK key for five seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back