You may not have permission to use this network resource...

MonicaX

ex-technophobe
I’m trying to network my laptop and desktop through a wireless router.
Both machines have XP sp2
Both machines share the same username and password
Both machines are in the same workgroup.
The desktop is the primary machine.
I’m able to see both computers, on both machines when I click “view workgroup computer.” I can access the files on the laptop from the desktop. I can print from the laptop.

However, I when I click on the desktop computer’s icon on the laptop, I get this message:
\\ “Computer name” is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.”

I’ve gone through numerous check lists, including the exhaustive one below.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm#XP_Networking_Wizard_problems

Most of the tutorials and forum threads are pre-sp2. Most of the “solutions” people come up with for similar issues seem completely arbitrary. I’ve used wizard/nowizard, enabled NetBios/ over TCP/IP, automatic IP, static IP, file sharing on all the folders and drives, fire wall, no fire wall, virus protection off/on, turning the lights off and on, herbal remedies, prayer, threats.

I can’t believe this is that difficult. I’m about to pay someone 175.00 to make a house call. This is my first forum and post so be gentle!

Hmm
Why dont you just map to the desktop.
Goto My computer>tools>map network drive.
Just type \\DESKTOPNAME\SHARENAME and there is even a option to use a alternate username and password.

File and Print sharing problems

File and print sharing is an option that has to be enabled now under the XP SP2 firewall, which is by default turned on after installing SP2. You never actually mentioned whether or not you disabled the built-in SP2 firewall, so this would be the first thing to check.

CipheR

Your solution is here!

Credit goes to Mok for this
Mok said:
I've had this problem several times before. To fix:

Assuming you're using Windows XP Professional, go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc

This will bring up the group policy management window. Navigate to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment. Once here, check the two policies: "Access this computer from the network" and "Deny access to this computer from the network." Make sure "everyone" and "guest" are listed in the "access", and that neither are listed in the "deny."

This should allow everyone to connect to your computer without a problem and view your shares. However, they may experience problems when trying to access shares. To fix this, disable simple file sharing by opening any folder on your computer and going to Tools->Folder Options->Advanced and unchecking "use simple file sharing (recommended)" near the bottom. Once you do this, right click on each of your shares and go to the security tab. Make sure "everyone" and "guest" are listed, and then click "advanced." Check the box that says "replace permission entries on all child..." then apply the changes. When prompted for "this folder only" or "this folder and all subfolders, files" choose the "all subfolders" option. Other users should now be able to access your shares without incident.

--
Mok

If you are interested in the gory background look here for that thread and here for one where I had just your sort of problems!

Oh - and Welcome to OSNN, enjoy your stay! :cool:

Ok I tried to map to the desktop (where Desktop1 is the name of the other computer)

\\Desktop1\My Documents

Says "network path could not be found"

PS - you'll save a fortune now you have joined OSNN if you were prepared to pay $175 for that! Just click on some ads to generate site revenue is all we ask.... oh and you see that little scale doo-dad, that can be clicked if you want to hand out ego-boosting "rep. points", for what it's worth :)

Nice first post though, not many newcomers outline the problem as nicely - you'll fit in just fine here ;)

Can you post the result of "ipconfig /all" on both machines.

I screwed up -- sorry guys. I know your not supposed to post 2 in a row. I have XP Home and I've tried turning of the firewall

highlight it all with the mouse and press Control+C
Or take screenshots.

And don't worry about the odd double post.

Electronic Punk said:
It happens to us all :D

in fact half the people rushing to help you have double posted too! May I briefly interject to ask if you tried the gpedit.msc and have guest accounts on both machines and simple file sharing etc all set as indicated by Mok? I was fairly confident that workign through those steps would resolve your problem... But of course there are no guarantees... :eek:

[EDIT] Just saw your post - sorry :eek: - me being an idiot, you're on XP-Home :( - I think the networking has been described by some as "crippled" in Home and my instructions were for Pro.... no idea if the upgrade is worth it or if we can workaround this, hopefully there is a way :confused: [/EDIT]

Laptop

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Frasier>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 Ada
pter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-52-4B-A2
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 07, 2004 10:53:34
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:53:34
AM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-66
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.102%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Desktop

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Burns>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-FC-99-6E-77
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 06, 2004 9:26:09

Well those look fine...

Can you ping desktop1 from laptop and vice-versa?

And just to take it one step further... can you share a folder on each machine.

I can only share a filder on the laptop from the desktop -- if that's what you mean. I've googled how to ping, and have tried -- but can't figure out how to do it

command prompt (like you did for ipconfig) then simply type ping 192.x.x.x where 192.x.x.x is the ip address of the "alternate" machine you are sending the ping to

as a sort of side note - you may have gathered from one fo the threads I cross referenced above that I worked around such an issue (again involving XP Home) by making use of the "Shared Documents" folder.

If you think this could be made to work for you then post back whether you can Access "Shared documents" on the desktop from the laptop, since we know this is the share "direction" in which you have problems - it may not be ideal, involving moving folders to and from there, but if you are wanting immediate gratification so to speak then it might be the pragmatic solution?

Hope this helps - have to go eat now, but shall return to see how it goes....

ping results, I think this is god.

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back